New drivers in TPS Race

New drivers in TPS Race at Red River Speedway

San Antonio, Texas

On Saturday night, March 29, the Texas Pro Sedans touring series start their 2008 season at Red

River Speedway in Wichita Falls, Texas. The race will initiate the 33rd consecutive TPS season of four cylinder stock car racing in the southwest. It will be the first time for TPS to race at the newly refurbished and the re-opening of Red River Speedway (RRS).

Texas Pro Sedans Series Race and Administrative Director, Neil Upchurch has announced an official paid, pre-entry list has increased to 24 TPS drivers. Entrys are still being accepted.

The TPS entry list includes several North Texas and an out-of state drivers who will compete in their first TPS racing event.

The long distance tow award will likely go to Michael Deschenes of Kansas City, Missouri. He will drive the Brad Schaffer #86 Saab sponsored by George’s Import Limited. He has won numerous races in this car at I-70 Speedway in Missouri.

David Wright of Wichita Falls, Texas has filed entry for his #4 Toyota Celica. The event will be Wright’s first TPS race. He has been a regular Red River Speedway driver in past seasons at the ¼ mile track.Wright has been instrumental in securing two area sponsors who are contributing to the TPS race purse. They are: Ken’s Pizza of Iowa Park, Texas and Chase Wright of Wichita Falls, a pitcher with the New York Yankees.

The father and son team of Hank and Josh Cournoyer of Wichita Falls, Texas have filed entry for their Ford Pinto. Josh is listed as the driver of record, but could be relieved by his dad Hank.

Pete Wright of Ft. Worth has filed drive his #17 VW Rabbit Pick Up for the March 29 race at RRS. The race will mark the veteran drivers return to TPS racing since he moved from San Antonio to Ft. Worth many years ago. His engine was prepared by Don Dewees who is the Crew Chief of the defending Champion Sergio Hexsel’s VW Rabbit TPS car.

A full program of Legend car racing, all three RRS class races and stuntman Dr. Danger and his

“SUICIDE CAR EXPLOSION” thrill show will also highlight the March 29th, 2008 re-opening night race program at Red River Speedway in Wichita Falls.

The TPS entry list also includes the two other veteran drivers who will compete in their first TPS race:

Bobby Burrows of Yorktown, Texas will be at the wheel of his #9 Ford Fusion.

The #24 Ford Probe will be driven by Jody Wayne Stuart of San Antonio.

For further information regarding this News Release, contact the TPS Office at 210/655-3222,

or by Email message to: neilupchurch@sbcglobal.net

I would also like to wish luck to Lalo, Jesse, and Lisa. Hope they have safe trip to and from the track. Driving from Corpus is a long haul. Sorry I can't make it waiting on new head. See ya'll in Kyle in April.

thanks ariel ...sorry you cant make it ..if you want to ride along and help or just lumber around ....i bet we can find some room ..friday going up sunday comeing back ..ofcourse ill have to ask jessie lol ....

Jeez. Sounds like it'll be one heck of a race. However, thanks to our ever rising gas prices, I'm not able to make the trek up there :angry:. Hopefully, I'll make it to the next race.

Just for grins here are some interesting numbers:

Round trip from Austin to Wichita Falls is ~600 miles, from Corpus Christi ~1000 miles

For a 1/2 ton truck pulling a trailer assume 12 MPG

2007 average gas price ~ $2.50/gl

2008 average price ~$3.10/gl

Austin to Wichita Falls 2007 - ~$125

Austin to Wichita Falls 2008 - ~$155

Delta $30

Corpus Christ to Wichita Falls 2007 - ~$208

Corpus Christ to Wichita Falls 2008 - ~$258

Delta $50

Archived