#89 Jerry Pierce

#98 Norman Pierce

#130 Sam Urso

#57 John Bonifazi

Midgets

#8 Doc Cossey

#76 Buddy Rackley

#85 Slick Barnes

But the full list goes on and on. Especially when you get into the midgets that ran and the stock cars.

Jimmy Hicks

Hank Champ

Ray Stephens

Sonny McDanials

Billy Hyder

Tiny Mack

Blackie Lothringer

Earl Hyder

Johnny Rutherford (ran a few midgets races)

Buddy Talotta (sp?) (there were a couple of brothers)

Ronnie Chumley

George Nash

Bill Blimrick

Walter Ballard

Charlie Schilds

Roy Tulley

Billy Parrin

Joe Plowman

Roy Cody

Billy Farris

F.L. Harris

Billy Griswald

Charlie Ritter

Sonny Upton

Man my brain is in a bind, that's what I can come up with off the top of my head, hopefully I can dig up a program or notes to get some more numbers with names.

TBird pointed it out that it looks like a 1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible in the parade lap on one of the videos, So I am confused now, because if you also notice, in the background there is no Roller Coaster and I thought it was built by 1955? Not positive on that. I know it was there in '58 for sure. Maybe that race is the 1954 Fall race. The ran the Gold Cup Classic in like September or October. I missed that parade car, good catch. Can anyone shed any light on when the Roller Coaster went up?

MFBarnes,

These Playland Park Spdwy/Houston videos appear to me to be in the '53 to '57 range. Some filming was done from the front straightaway/north grandstand, with the roller coaster behind the camera, and other filming was from the south side showing the roller coaster. The clip of the side by side Super Modified duel between M J Burton in the #56 Car and Buddy Rackley in the #58 Car is priceless. In that clip, I believe the #55 Car is Don Burton, with possibly Billy Griswold in the #8 Car, although he drove a #9 Car also. The #2 Car, of course is A J Foyt Jr, and the #53 Car is Billy Wade. As I post from memory, I am refering to the clip filmed from the south grandstand of the mid '50s Houston Super Modifieds. Like I say, strictly memory and history as I recall it, and any corrections are welcome.

Awesome!!! I think I also saw Roy Cody's car in the mix. I caught a glimpse of Billy Griswold charging to the front in the 9 car. Also a debt of gratitude to whoever converted these 8MM or 16MM movies to CD or whatever it is. Can't wait to see more!!!

Okay here's a demolition derby out at Playland. They make 3 laps and then all hell breaks out, pretty good stuff, really hate to see all those classics busted up. What were we thinking.......

• 2 weeks later...
The 16 car in the last photo looks like the car Neil lang drove. I think Hovas Furniture was the sponsor.

I can't tell if the track is paved or not, but appears to me to be early/mid 50s. I remember, I think, Neil Lang racing Modified Cars in the late 50s. Seems like he had an early 30s coupe bodied blue #48. I also seem to recall a Modified Racer named Jimmy Stringer, or Springer, but I can't recall the car or number. On some Playland Spdwy film/tape, appears a nice looking #11 Modified that looks familiar from those days, but I'm not sure/or even know, who is driving it. Any idea?

Okay here's a demolition derby out at Playland. They make 3 laps and then all hell breaks out, pretty good stuff, really hate to see all those classics busted up. What were we thinking.......

Mark,

Are you sure that's not a Playland Spdwy Stock Car Consolation Race? Maybe the Tilottas, the Baileys, the Burtons, and Roy "Don't Need Any Help" Cody!

Just kidding! As for classics busted up, it's a wonder any Chevrolet and Ford early 30s coupes, late 30s coupes, mid 50s sedans, or late 60s and early 70s Chevelles and Mustangs or Torinos exist.

I watched a couple of those. They really started out like a regular race. I'm not sure all of them went the full 3 laps. I think a couple of them may have fudged..................................

Archived