I-37 Speedway results 11-29-03

Rookie scores first ever Modified checkers.

Pleasanton, Texas. After qualifying heats and B-main, 28 cars started the 30 lap $1200 to win Modified A-main on the 1/4 mile clay track, with Steven Whitaker and Joey Whitehead on the front row. The young Whitaker got out first on green with Whitehead falling in behind. Caution came early when Willie Veach spun in turn 3. David Brown slowed for yellow with John Armstrong getting hung on Browns car in turn 2.

On the restart, the top three ran single file, with John Hienaman and Aaron Hudgeons side by side for fourth, and Elias Anderson and James Schach door to door for sixth. Veach brought out another caution on lap 3 to slow the pace. Whitaker got out to a slight lead with Anderson moving up to third. Lap 5 saw Whitehead, in second, clip an infield tire and start to spin, Anderson, in third, clipped the back of Whitehead’s car and broke the front suspension, rolling to a stop in turn 3.

Shortly after green came back out, Gary Chambless broke and rolled to a halt at the pit exit for another yellow on lap 7. Back under green with Whitaker building a five car length lead, as Lawrence Mikulencak charged up to second from his sixth row start. Mikulencak caught Whitaker on lap 12, while Bill Pittaway, Adan Arambula and Steve Majek were three wide for sixth.

As the crossed flags were shown it was Whitaker, Mikulencak, Schach, Justin Majek and John Hienaman in the top five. The lead duo ran into traffic on lap 17, which let Schach close on lap 18. Ray Doyon and Glen Allen made contact with Allen spinning to the infield. Allen tried to creep back on track for yellow, but fell three laps down before rejoining the race. Allen then stalked Doyon, but missed him on two occasions.

In the meantime Whitaker and Mikulencak had put a little distance on Schach and were side by side when caution flew on lap 23 for a spin by Bennie Campbell jr. Under yellow, Allen tracked down Doyon and drove flat over him, severely damaging Doyon’s car. Allen was blackflagged and Doyon charged into the pits, doing a doughnut in the middle of the pits, which got him Dq’ed also.

Whitaker and Mikulencak stayed glued together on the restart, while Ju. Majek and Arambula got past Schach for third and fourth. Arambula then made his way around Ju. Majek for third with four to go. Jason Borlace spun in turn 2 on lap 28 to set up a two lap shootout for the win. Chris Swenson, in a back up car from Greg Dinsmore, spun on the restart to bring out the yellow hankie.

S. Majek made contact with someone on the restart giving him a flat right front. S. Majek slid up the track and clipped Whitehead, who had fought his way back, with Whitehead spinning. In the final two laps the crafty veteran, Mikulencak tried everything he could to get the less experienced Whitaker to make a mistake. But none was to be made as Whitaker in only his seventh modified start would grab the checkers in his Randy Young Automotive/Jerry Whitaker/Young Chassis.

1 Steven Whitaker

2 Lawrence Mikulencak

3 Adan Arambula

4 James Schach

5 Justin Majek

6 Dale Flanagan

7 John Hienaman

8 Bobby Grobe

9 Bill Pittaway

10 Mark Erb

11 Steve Majek

12 Chris Swenson

13 Jerome Majek

14 Bennie Campbell jr

15 Rick Green

16 Jason Borlace

17 Wayne Crouse

18 Joey Whitehead

19 Eddy Ross

20 Willie Veach jr

21 David Brown

22 Hardy Henderson

23 Gary Chambless

24 John Armstrong

25 AAron Hudgeons

26 Elias Anderson

Ray Doyon--DQ pit infraction

Glen Allen--DQ stalked and ran over Doyon

Heat winners, Anderson, Whitaker, Hienaman, Ju. Majek and Whitehead.

B-main transfers

Doyon

Grobe

Flanagan

Allen

Campbell

Erb

Borlace

Crouse

Pure Stock A-main

For 1,000 to win you would expect a Pure Stock feature to be a slam, bang affair, and this would be no exception. 28 cars started the 30 lap main with Lee Johnson and AJ Dancer on the front row. With five of the eight top starters being from the Texas Outlaw Bomber Association. At the green it was three wide for lead in turn 1, with Dancer coming out on top. The yellow came out quickly when John Shaw stopped in turn 3 and Nick Trevino spun in turn 2. This was a break for Robert Danielson who spun and fell back, but regained his position going back to last lap.

With the top three, all TOBA cars breaking away, Manny Trevino was working his way forward to sixth on the high side. Lap 4 saw the caution fly again when John Hendricks and Claud Jordan got tangled, with Marshall Suacedo spinning. Top contender Mike Mogansen spun on the restart falling to dead last. The El Camino truck of Don Burroughs broke into the top ten after starting in the last row as caution flew again, this time for Robert Williams who found the turn 3-4 tires.

Once back to green, Burroughs moved into third as the top five of Dancer, Randy Seals, Burroughs and Danielson were moving ahead by lap 10. On lap 10 Burroughs tagged Seals, who spun from second, while at the same time Paul Humpherys was spinning. Seals gave Burroughs a little, “what the heck was that move” shot under yellow. Burroughs replied by turning Seals around again. Seals was sent the pits for rough driving, but Burroughs was allowed to continue but sent to the tail.(In my opinion, both should have put on the trailer for using their cars as weapons!)

Finally back to some race action as the race reached the mid-point with Dancer, M. Trevino, Glenn Ballard, Danielson and Bobby Jack in the top five followed by Mogansen back up to sixth from the tail. With Dancer edging away, M. Trevino and Ballard ran side by side for second. With 10 to go Dancer was Cha-Cha-Chaing away from the battle for second. On lap 23 Mogansen spun once again, after restarting and moving out of the way, but facing the wrong direction, he then spun around directly in front of the leader, Dancer.

Dancer caught the field napping on green and quickly grabbed a 10 car length lead. Ballard lost second on lap 24 when he spun, but continued on. As the white flag flew it was Dancer with a huge lead over Danielson, who had a good margin back to M. Trevino, B. Jack, and Burroughs who had fought his way back up. As the checkers fell it was Dancer waltzing to the win in his Dancer Motorsports/JKM Performance and Machine/Chevy Nova.

Pure Stock A-Main Results

1 AJ Dancer

2 Robert Danielson

3 Don Burroughs

4 Manny Trevino

5 John Myers

6 MK Wallace

7 Rowdy Flanagan

8 Mike Mogansen

9 Wesley Black

10 Mike Jack

11 Curtis King

12 Carl Woods

13 Corey Viar

14 Hector Aguirre

15 Paul Humpherys

16 Glen Ballard

17 Robert Williams

18 Darrin Nestorey

19 Marshall Saucedo

20 Claud Jordan

21 John Hendricks

22 Nick Trevino

23 Joe Arce

Randy Seals--DQ Rough driving

****** Bobby Jack Maybe third, maybe DQ--tech, checking wording of rules

Heat winners, Johnson, Seals, Dancer and Mogansen.

B-Main transfers

Burroughs

Saucedo

John Shaw

MK Wallace

B. Jack

Michael Jack

Wesley Black

Corey Viar

OK, I thought I covered this ALL in my story, but for those that skipped right over it.......

Doyon and Allen made contact while racing for position, I didn't see it, but people tell me it was a "racin' deal". Allen spun far enough to the infield to not draw a caution--which pissed him off. He the drove to the edge of the track in hopes of a yellow, but was told to race on---which pissed him off more. He stalked Doyon under green and missed him going by---which pissed him off even more. So once a caution flew, he drove up behind Doyon and gassed it, rear-ending Doyon giving him a flat right rear and torn up body work. Probably bent/broke some suspension parts too.

Naturally Doyon was pissed and charged into the pits and did a doughnut, which pissed off Ed Forsythe(Pit Official). So both got DQ'd! They were talking about suspensions when I left. I'm not trying to make Doyon out as the bad guy, he was more the victim, but with people and kids in the pits it wasn't a good move.

20 years ago I might have gone to Allens pit and used my car to help load his car on the trailer!!! But I've mellowed with age, like cheese. LOL

Matt, that's one of the benefits of dirt racing, we're a hardy bunch too. And Winter Series starts on Jan. 3rd at I-37.

AJ, Good luck in Cleveland on your try for back to back wins.

Archived