CC Speedway rumors

NickHolt

A persistent rumor out of Corpus Christi is that Gregg "Doc" Godfrey will be taking over operations at CC Speedway in 2004. Depending on who you're listening to, Dan Monroe (spelling??) will be pit boss again.

Godfrey, a chiropractor in the Corpus Christi area, races at CC Speedway in two different classes.

Do any of our CC area members have more information about this?

Nick Holt

Nick,

According to Carol on another thread, she said Doc will be operating the track with some help from others. The talk here in Corpus is that Dan Monroe will be back as pit boss and all that were banned previously will be allowed back. No rule changes for the Bomber & Super Street; however, "minor" changes to the rules for Texas Thunder are supposed to happen. The talk on the the Texas Thunder rule changes are anywhere from adding more weight across the board to letting the bigger carbs in. In my opinion, the weight will be what changes. I race in the Texas Thunder class and there are some EXTREMELY light cars out there. As far as what weight to bring them up to?? who knows. I wonder how Doc is going to be able to run/manage the track & run at the same time. One last note, Carol said in her thread since Donnie was not in good health & having surgery again, they decided on someone to help manage/run the track.

Anyway, there's the facts with the rumors mixed with opinion!

Rick :blink:

With all the recent rumors that have been going around I just thought that this one seemed to be more truthfull .Carol has said the track has not been sold or leased . The thing that is going around now is that in Jan.2004 when the contract with the reality company is up is when we will know the "REAL" truth. They can't say anything till then. This has been said several times by Carol. Doc is Supposed to be leasing the track while Owen Pitman is the general manager. And the rules Carol said would not be changed in the Bomber and Super Street ,well From what Doc is telling everyone in "secret" that Changes are being made to both classes. Now lets see if the truth will be told or NOT ? I think Slysnake even got Bluffed.

I just hope they don't try to fix something that has been working pretty well the last two years. A lot of the racers don't have the additional funds to just go out and buy new heads and all new tire so they can compete. If the changes are coming I hope it is slowly and not overnight. I guess we will find out soon enough.

The rules that have been used are pretty much the rules that are going to be used. There are going to be some slight changes and clarifications in each of the classes. I can assure you all, that the changes will be in the positive direction for all parties invloved. The Yocum's have worked too hard to fix something that is not broken. As far as the hint of having new sets of "secret rules" that is not going to happen! I ask to just have a little more patience and everything will be ironed out soon. Thanks

Hey rat,

you seem pretty confident about changes or the lack of. There are rumors abounding. There are quite a few (me for one) that would like to have some kind of idea of what is in store. I am sitting on hold right now on doing anything until I find out some concrete info. I do not want to wait until 4 weeks before practice, racing, etc. before I know the rules. I do not have that luxury of time and during the season have to scrape every minute as a few of us do. I am in the Texas Thunder class and have heard that there are some changes in store. I just want to know what they are to see 1. If I am going to be able to afford it. 2. Am I going to have to spend a ton of time changing things up. 3. etc. etc. etc.

I just want to know what is in store, otherwise, I might not be able to get ready in time.

Help us out here!

Thanks,

Rick :huh:

Sly, I understand your situation and don't blame you for being reluctant to do a bunch of work then have to turn around at the last minute to undo it and start over again. In your class there were 3 issues that were resolved in a meeting last night. You pretty much hit the nail on the head in a previous post of one of the changes. The rules are going to be redrafted - proofed - and then made official. It looks like that will be in about a weeks time.

Donnie is waiting on a phone call about his surgery so we are trying to get all this set before that happens. We just want to make sure we dot all the I's and cross all the T's before everything is let loose.

I also just wanted to clear one thing up. The "Rumors" that everyone refers to are simply that. When you have been in racing long enough than you will understand what I am talking about. Every year it is always something, but I will assure you one thing, when I post something you can take it to the bank. Thanks for your time and I hope this helped ease things a bit. There will be more to come.

rat,

you said there was a meeting last night. Was this the driver's meeting? I hope not. I wasn't informed. If we all know in about a week of the rule changes, then I am ok with that. It should give everyone time to adjust & re-adjust (if necessary). Affordability will be the next issue. It's just that I would like to make some other investments and stand to lose out on them by not knowing what is going on...(new trailer, tires, etc.) Let us know...the sooner the better.

Thanks,

Rick

So does this mean the rules on the CC site are not the true set of rules? And what is up with Bombers being able to run racing fuel? Is that true? Well if it is then that is not a cheep class and why not take that class one step up?

Well, I am not sure about CC this season. Why would a track let someone who has caused and had a lot of bad feelings with lots of drivers run or work for the track? Is it just me or is that not professional or right? And is that person (Doc) still going to be aloud to race and work for the track and have a fleet of cars he has sponsored running out there? Can someone really be a track manager or what ever and make fair calls when he has his cars and drivers running?

Dan monrow is very good friends of Doc's crew chief as well. So how is he going to be able to make fair calls?

I just do not get it. I am sorry I just do not see this is being a good season for CC in 2004. It will for some but not others, it just depends on who you are i guess. Well JMO.

racin4fun (Stroker Ace),

Why would a track let someone who has caused and had a lot of bad feelings with lots of drivers run or work for the track? Is it just me or is that not professional or right? And is that person (Doc) still going to be aloud to race and work for the track and have a fleet of cars he has sponsored running out there? Can someone really be a track manager or what ever and make fair calls when he has his cars and drivers running? Dan monrow is very good friends of Doc's crew chief as well. So how is he going to be able to make fair calls?

What makes you think that Gregg (Doc) Godfrey will be making any calls at all? As I understand it, the person who will be making all the racing decisions is the new General Manager, Owen Pittman, not Doc.

In the second place, your contention that Doc created "a lot of bad feelings with lots of drivers" is simply your personal opinion. [Comment edited out by Nick Holt, 12/14/03]

Face it, a new era is dawning at CC Speedway (are they planning to rename the 50-year facility??). Like any new era, there will be things that are good about it and things that will not please everyone. But at a minimum, I think every Corpus area racer should bury whatever hatchets they are carrying around and give the new management a fresh start.

I wish Owen and his staff well as they step up to the plate and attempt to make racing in Corpus better for everyone.

Nick Holt

You guys have no idea how glad I am. This will be a new and exciting era for CCSpeedway. Maybe now it can get back up to the level SAS and THR are at.

Expect some ARTS, TPS, and TSRS shows next season along with the Mods and ROMCO.

NICK,

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF. IT SEEMS THAT RACIN4FUN IS WORRIED ABOUT SOMETHING THAT HE REALLY HAS NO BASIS OR FACT. AND AS FAR AS RUNNING RACING FUEL YOU DON'T HAVE TO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO AND BESIDES WOULD THAT REALLY HELP A LEAGAL BOMBER ENGINE? AND IF YOU WANT TO BUMP UP, GO TO SS OTHERWISE COMFORM AND RACE. BESIDES WITH OPENING THE FUEL THAT MEANS THERE IS JUST ONE LESS THING TO ARGUE ABOUT. [Comment edited out by Nick Holt, 12/14/03]

[Comment edited out by Nick Holt, 12/14//03] I was refering to fair calls at the track. I would think that it would be hard to make a fair call if you have your own cars and drivers out their or if you are a diver yourself and work for the track. JMO.

I have my own car out there and it is not the #62 Bomber. I just do not want to walk into a 3 ring circus.

I do not know Owens or his crew. I do wish him the BEST OF LUCK. Is he the one who ran the Saratoga track?? If so what happened to the Saragtoga track and will it open this season?

As for the Bomber rules, will they really be able to run racing fuel and are they for real about sealing the carbs? Why would they want the Carbs sealed? We will be racing at a few tracks this season and I am not sure I would want to seal the carb.

Merry Christmas all.

I just want to say I am not here to start any more crap about the Wes deal. The rumors around here where that Doc and his crew where going to run the track. I just did not think that would be right. I am glad to hear that some one else will be running it. I have no idea who this Owen's is and it will be great if CC gets some changes.

As for the racing fuel, that is great.

Everyone knows that there was a lot of wrong doing last season with lots of drivers and there where other fights as well,not just Wes.

racin4fun,

I have no idea who this Owen's is and it will be great if CC gets some changes.

Wayne Norrell and Owen Pittman own and run the Texas Asphalt Modified Series. Owen has been involved with stock car racing for a number of years and in a number of capacities and has earned a good reputaion. Obviously, Owen will no longer be helping Wayne run the TAMS organization with his new duties at CC.

I just want to say I am not here to start any more crap about the Wes deal

I am delighted to hear that.

Nick Holt

That is so great to hear. I do not keep up with the TAMS much, I do like to watch them race.

Will Owens be bringing his own crew, tech's and all. That would be good too.

We will look forward to meeting him.

Hey can any one tell me why we would need to seal the carbs in the bomber class? I do not get it.

Thanks

Merry Christmas all.

(are they planning to rename the 50-year facility??).

Just FYI..

:lol::lol: I hear the name "Bad Boyz Speedway" is already taken... :lol:

Archived