Chili Bowl to NOT be televised

rebelracewriter

While surfing the Chili Bowl website, I came across this tidbit. With all the talk of TV coverage of races like the IMCA Supernationals, Snowball Derby, etc. I found this quite curious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chili Bowl to Forego Television in 2004

Lonnie Wheatley – TULSA, Okla. (November 18, 2003) – As the 18th Annual O’Reilly Chili Bowl Nationals draws closer, the decision was recently made to not televise the event, as had been previously announced. The decision to cancel live television was driven by the need to preserve the integrity of the prestigious event.

The finale of the four-night mid-winter indoor racing classic was originally scheduled to air live on SPEED Channel. However, concerns about the possible impact of live television upon the quality of the event have prompted promoters to pull the plug on live television for 2004.

“The paying fans have always been and will continue to be the most important part of the Chili Bowl,” commented Chili Bowl co-promoter Emmett Hahn. “The constraints of live television can often dictate how the program is run and have a significant impact on the quality of the show for those that are in attendance. The last thing we want to happen is to have all those fans pay for a show that may be adversely affected because we had to work around live television.”

Hahn went on to say, “So, rather than take that chance, we’ll just go without television this year and enter the event knowing that we’ll be able to provide the fanfare that the fans expect and a race track that is conducive to the high quality of racing that is expected of the Chili Bowl.”

“We’re hopeful that the Chili Bowl will be back on television on a tape-delayed basis in 2005. A delayed telecast, whether it’s a couple of hours or the next day, works much better for this type of event than a live telecast,” Hahn concluded.

The 18th Annual O’Reilly Chili Bowl Nationals takes place January 7-10, 2004, at Tulsa Expo Raceway. The mid-winter indoor Midget classic has become a gathering place for the top drivers in the nation from all forms of racing, whether it be NASCAR, IRL, Sprint Cars, Midgets, DIRT Modifieds, Late Models or even NHRA. The 2003 edition of the O’Reilly Chili Bowl Midget Nationals attracted more than 200 entries.

For tickets or additional information regarding the 18th Annual Chili Bowl Midget Nationals, check www.chilibowl.com or contact the Chili Bowl office at 918-838-3777.

Guest modified man

Rebel,

TV does not do this race any justice. You have to be there to get the full impact. The fumes, the dust, drinkin' a cold beer with your buddies. It doesn't get any better. My buddies and I always end up with sinus troubles for the next couple of days. We call this sickness "chilibosis". It's great!!

Archived