IRL/CHAMP CAR

uhcougs

i never could figure out why they couldn't get together before, those two series seem to be a case of who can spend the most money the fastest , maybe if they can agree on some rules they might have some 28-30 car fields ,that would be fun to watch at TMS or maybe a short track somewhere i wish them luck B)

Been following it closely the last few weeks. Rumor is that they will have to run the Motegei and Long Beach races on the same weekend as both race dates were set in stone. This race is 3 races in and the Champ Car teams will have to dust off their Panoz DP01's while the IRL guys will be in Japan. Both will be IRL points races...I really don't see them having enough cars at Long Beach if this is the case to pull it off. Check out the SpeedTV Open Wheel board. Some pretty crazy stuff. Tony George's offer of 1.2 mil, free car, and free engines isn't to bad at all for these teams to make the switch. The only thing that hurts is the amount of time they have to switch. American Open Wheel racing is still spec car racing. Hopefully sponsors, manufacturers, and fans come back within the next few years. Even with just 1 series its mini cart with foreign ride buying drivers and a foreign manufacturer. Tony George needs to figure out how to rebuild the bridge for up and coming USAC drivers.

J

I'm an IRL fan and Champ Car as well, but to me the Champ Cars are the prettier of the two, so my preferred reunification doesn't appear likely. As for Long Beach, there are probably some pretty good drivers available that could use a few bucks, if cars are available.

These guys, just like the majority of the grid in Champ Car last year would be ride buyers. I don't see them making much if anything. Its kind of like looking at the ARCA grid. I agree with you about the cars. The Panoz DP01 is much better looking and a much better racecar than those Dallaras in the IRL. Doesn't look like anything is going to happen today. Maybe this weekend?

J

Don't be knocking "ride buyers," folks. Probably half the NASCAR grids in Busch and Truck involve someone paying for the ride, and I'm not too sure about all the Cup guys.

One difference between open wheel and stock car racing is that foreign sponsors are willing to back foreign drivers in IRL or Champ Car, but American sponsors aren't willing to back American drivers in Europe or the rest of the world. They wait until the open wheel drivers have made their reps overseas, then hire them. But, as all of those drivers are foreigners, we end up with a grid full of guys from across the pond who aren't known to the American crowds, then wonder why they don't draw a crowd. No sport, racing or otherwise, draws a sufficient crowd without having players or drivers who are known to the audience.

That's a good point. I see a similar thing in NASCAR.

Female drivers haven't delivered women centric sponsors

Black drivers.....black sponsors?

Hispanic drivers......Hispanic sponsors?

and, recently, Canadian drivers........Canadian sponsors?

The answer is no. It really isn't about driver race/gender diversity....it's about sponsor diversity.

Jay

Don't be knocking "ride buyers," folks. Probably half the NASCAR grids in Busch and Truck involve someone paying for the ride, and I'm not too sure about all the Cup guys.

One difference between open wheel and stock car racing is that foreign sponsors are willing to back foreign drivers in IRL or Champ Car, but American sponsors aren't willing to back American drivers in Europe or the rest of the world. They wait until the open wheel drivers have made their reps overseas, then hire them. But, as all of those drivers are foreigners, we end up with a grid full of guys from across the pond who aren't known to the American crowds, then wonder why they don't draw a crowd. No sport, racing or otherwise, draws a sufficient crowd without having players or drivers who are known to the audience.

It's true!!!!!I wonder how many everyday fans know that NASCAR is pimping rides????

Thats the truth - Villaneuve (spelling?) is out of the #27....why? No sponsor....

Benson and Skinner will share time in it? Why....they bring $$$ to the table. Yes, Skinner and Benson have ties to Davis anyway, but I'm sure if someone else came along with more money then either of them could bring they'd be in the #27 as well.

Archived