New entry-level fun class at Thunder Hill

tqj3

Brian told me today that there will be a new entry-level class at Thunder Hill next season, one intended just for fun. He's calling it the "Grand" class because the cars will cost less than a thousand dollars on the track.

It's not a replacement for the old Pure Stocks, and because it's a claiming class (the plan is that any driver or spectator will be able to claim a car for less than a thousand bucks) it won't be cost-effective to convert one of the older Pure Stocks.

The hope is that more Pure Stocks will elect to move up to Hobby Stock, a class that was increasing in car count last year and beginning to rival the Street Stocks for racing excitement. Meanwhile, someone who just wants to give it a try will be able to get on the track for a small amount of money.

(And the next time the loudmouth in the stands announces he can "drive better than those guys," he'll have a chance to prove it.) Oh yes. The new Grand class will run last every race night.

Brian will have the rules for the new class at the rules meeting, which he hopes to have the second week in December, providing all the necessary officials are available at the same time.

TQ,

Thanks for the advance info. I sure hope this class sparks some interest. I've never raced in a claimer class, but my understanding is that in most IMCA events, for example, a claim is rare. I'm assuming this would be the type of claimer class where claims might be encouraged and more frequent. Is that correct?

Please continue to keep us informed.

cs

ss99-

The class is intended to be fun, a little fender banging, crowd-pleasing action with not so much money invested. You're right, there usually aren't that many claims in claiming classes because it isn't cost-effective to build a hot car just to have it claimed the first time you run fast in it.

Believe me, this is intended to be a bottom-rung class where nearly everybody can get a taste of racing action.

Little Beaver-

The rules are still being formulated, but one idea is that if a driver claims another car, he has to give his up. If a spectator claims a car, the driver could keep certain items, such as a racing seat, harness, fuel cell and window net. (He could keep those items if another driver claimed his car and "traded" with him as well.)

The idea isn't for people to spend so much money that they don't want the car claimed. It's to spend as little as possible on a car they can have some fun with, and not worry too much about either being claimed or having to do a little body work.

Running them last has a lot of advantages, including making cleanup easier. But it also might be a chance for a driver in a top class to build a car for his crew chief or someone to run for fun when the night is over.

...it also might be a chance for a driver in a top class to build a car for his crew chief or someone to run for fun when the night is over.

I suspect that is good thinking on the track's part. Without seeing the rules, I can't commit that I could run one, but if money allows, I would sure like to. I bet there will be other crew chief types that would feel the same way. I wouldn't want to do it in the middle of the regular show, because my main focus during that time is with the 99 car. But to do it at the end of the night would work out well. I think the idea is worth a try.

cs

I dont think that tires is going to be the issue i think that is a gimmie if this class gets started. I think it would be great. All the people that just want to go out there and hove some fun kinda like the old cruisers. The cruisers were fun, everyone liked them. Who can beat a car for under a $1000 to have fun on a saturday night i think its a great idea.

poorboy, you are correct the IMCA claim on motors is 525(modifieds), plus 25 or 50 to the wrecker driver to pull it. The driver losing the motor also gets several contingeny payouts from SUNOCO, IMCA and someone else I believe. They also have a claim rule on carbs and shocks, 50 each if my memory serves me. The motor claim is a good thing if used properly, but there are too many grudge claims. It helps keep the cost of motors down, hence the good car counts in the IMCA classes. There were numerous motor claims this year, but less than last year. I can only recall two carb claims that I've actually seen in the past eight years and I've yet to see a shock claim.

There are tracks in other states that run a class where people can claim a car, but I have no info on the popularity of the class.

Beav, sure don't know where you found that. Here's the poop directly off the IMCA website.

ARTICLE XVII - ENGINE CLAIM PROCEDURES:

Dollar amounts for engine claims are as follows: Hobby Stocks - $325; Stock Cars - $425; Modifieds - $525; Sprint Cars - $825 or exchange (or spec engine head claim - $800) . Items not included with claim can be found in each division's rules.

Actually supetrx UMP's claim is comparable to IMCA, 550, but contains two key words. Plus Swap! But you are correct I have yet to hear of a UMP claim, though I understand someone tried one, but the track intervined and denied the claim. That's why the UMP modifieds are a dying class around Houston, they got out of freaking control on motor costs.

Does anybody have any idea on what the wheelbase will be? I hope it is 108" Those old 112" boats are getting hard to find and ones that you do find are kinda pricey just to gut them and go racing. Also the replacements parts are getting kinda up there too. I also hope that THR is not going to have the problem that SAS had with thier roadrunner cars by annoucing the class to late in the off season and not having enough cars.

Archived