Adams Strikes for ASCS Regional Showdown Win at Deep South

rebelracewriter

Adams Strikes for ASCS Regional Showdown Win at Deep South

Lonnie Wheatley, LOXLEY, Ala. (February 9, 2008) – Florida's Kenny Adams added another $3,000 to his coffers by racing to victory lane in Saturday night's 25-lap American Sprint Car Series Coastal vs. Rebel Region Showdown at Deep South Speedway's Second Annual Mardi Gras Bash.

The "Malabar Missile" took quick advantage of a lap seven restart to overtake early leader Todd Fayard and then outlasted a fast-closing Terry Gray over the final rounds to secure his second ASCS win of the young 2008 season aboard the Don Ott-powered CnB Mushrooms/B&W Trucking/Goodson Farms No. 4a Shaw.

"I'm not sure what happened to him (Fayard), it was like he just stopped," Adams commented afterward. "I had to check up at the cone to keep from passing him and then he just moved up out of the way, so I went on. If it hadn't been for that, I wasn't gonna get by him."

After winning the night's opening heat race, Fayard drew the pole position for the feature and outgunned fellow front row starter Lane Whittington for the lead at the drop of the green flag, with third and fifth-starters Adams and Don Young quickly moving into second and third, respectively.

Among the top ASCS Coastal Region title contenders, Fayard weathered several cautions over the early rounds, including a brief red flag after six laps when Bob Auld tagged the turn two wall and flipped down the backstretch without injury.

While Fayard had opened up a lead on Adams on each previous restart, this one proved to be the demise of the Saucier, MS, driver's bid for a first career ASCS win when he bobbled on the start and not only allowed Adams by, but Young, ninth-starter Terry Gray and sixth-starter Danny Martin, Jr., as well.

"Those restarts were killing me, I didn't change up my rhythm at all and Kenny was able to gauge it and jump under me on that last one," Fayard explained later.

Memphis shoe Young kept the heat on Adams in the ensuing laps until a bobble exiting turn two opened the door for Gray, who took over second as the lead trio raced through traffic.

Gray closed in on the leader over the final handful of laps but settled for second as Adams flashed underneath the checkered flag with a four car-length advantage. "I felt like I caught a couple of breaks there in lapped traffic," Adams commented to Gray moments after the race.

Racing from the eighth position, 18-year-old Matt Tiffany picked off several spots in the final rounds to claim the show position, with 19-year-old Young in fourth. Fayard nipped Bryn Gohn at the line to round out the top five, with Red Stauffer next across the stripe in seventh.

Taking the wheel of Shane Morgan's back-up machine, defending race winner Marshall Skinner advanced from 13th to eighth, with Morgan in ninth. Matt Kurtz completed the top ten.

Danny Martin, Jr., was battling amongst the top five before overheating problems forced him to the infield in the final rounds.

Fayard, Adams and Timmy Thrash each scored heat race wins. Thrash was forced to scratch from the main event after suffering engine problems while posting his heat race win.

American Sprint Car Series Coastal vs. Rebel Region Results:

Heat One (8 Laps): 1. 21-Todd Fayard, 2. 00-Danny Martin, Jr., 3. 9-Lane Whittington, 4. 83-Bob Auld, 5. 2-Red Stauffer, 6. 98-Nick Engle. DNS: 8-Michael Ward.

Heat Two (8 Laps): 1. 4a-Kenny Adams, 2. 75-Don Young, 3. 19T-Matt Tiffany, 4. 10-Terry Gray, 5. 0-Marshall Skinner, 6. 17-Samantha Taylor, 7. d20-David Noker.

Heat Three (8 Laps): 1. 09-Timmy Thrash, 2. 01-Shane Morgan, 3. 4b-Bryn Gohn, 4. k9-Robert Casada, 5. 92-Matt Kurtz, 6. 20-Frank Carlsson, 7. 52-Roger Oakes.

"A" Feature (25 Laps): 1. 4a-Kenny Adams, 2. 10-Terry Gray, 3. 19T-Matt Tiffany, 4. 75-Don Young, 5. 21-Todd Fayard, 6. 4b-Bryn Gohn, 7. 2-Red Stauffer, 8. 0-Marshall Skinner, 9. 01-Shane Morgan, 10. 92-Matt Kurtz, 11. 52-Roger Oakes, 12. 17-Samantha Taylor, 13. 00-Danny Martin, Jr., 14. 20-Frank Carlsson, 15. k9-Robert Casada, 16. 9-Lane Whittington, 17. 83-Bob Auld, 18. 98-Nick Engle. DNS: 09-Timmy Thrash, d20-David Noker, 8-Michael Ward.

ASCS Coastal Region Points (Top Ten): 1. Kenny Adams 150, 2. Terry Gray 146, 3. Matt Tiffany 144, 4. Don Young 142, 5. Todd Fayard 140, 6. Bryn Gohn 138, 7. Red Stauffer 136, 8. Marshall Skinner 134, 9. Shane Morgan 132, 10. Matt Kurtz 130.

ASCS Rebel Region Points (Top Ten): 1. Kenny Adams 150, 2. Terry Gray 146, 3. Matt Tiffany 144, 4. Don Young 142, 5. Todd Fayard 140, 6. Bryn Gohn 138, 7. Red Stauffer 136, 8. Marshall Skinner 134, 9. Shane Morgan 132, 10. Matt Kurtz 130

Archived