Southern Pro 4 ?

poorboy

People are entitled to their opinions.

Tim

Yes, that's right. That's the whole concept behind TXSZ.

You have yours. OT has his. Lalo agrees with you. I have mine even if no one on the face of the Earth agrees... LOL

Nick

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have mine even if no one on the face of the Earth agrees... LOL

Nick

LOL, well, at least you should have some peace of mind that people are actually listening to you. :lol:

Like I said, this thread is a good thread where everyone has expressed their opinions (without any arguments or "edits"... except one), but yet no one is right or wrong. I want to see this class successful, and not just because I have a vested interest in it, but because I believe in the series and know its potential. The West Coast Pro-4's are a living testament to how successful they can be, when ran in the right direction.

Good stuff!

Tim

People are entitled to their opinions.

Tim

Yes, that's right. That's the whole concept behind TXSZ.

You have yours. OT has his. Lalo agrees with you. I have mine even if no one on the face of the Earth agrees... LOL

Nick

Is that the only difference between TPS and pro fours is the quickchange and carburation? (not talking bodies) Just dont see what the uproar is about. Any time you get to run another place or show what you run it's a good thing. And Nick your right no one agrees with you! Lol framewreck

This could be a good use for some of the former super late models, for starters, if a guy wanted to run a stock type chassis with the bigger wheels and tires, it would be foolish not to let them just because of a late model body issue. How much are the tires as well and what kind of pay out is it going to be? Not meant as a bash, just a suggestion and question.

For starters the tires are not what makes the class, its the cars on top of them. This class wont succeed just because of tires. Seems like people make such a big deal about a late model body. They are all over the place for real cheap. Im not trying to make waves but people THE CLASS IS WHAT IT IS AND THE RULES ARE WHAT THEY ARE, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER CLASS IN AMERICA, THE DRIVERS DONT GET TO MAKE THEM, NEITHER DO THE FANS. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RUNNING WITH THE SOUTHERN PRO4'S AT CC SPEEDWAY COME ON. IF NOT THEN DONT. I cant help but laugh at all the resistance. Where were all of these ideas concerning a PRO4 class and its rules prior to this year? SUPPORT your local classes and racetrack like you support this website and they will need to add seating to the place.

97 car, that is not necessarily directed at you. To answer your question the tires are about 120.00. they last 3-4 times as long as a 8inch tire(weve run both is why i know). the cars sitting on them are much lighter so the wear is so minimal. I think maybe some former latemodel drivers will eventually participate considering the fraction vs cost. They are going to payout 75% of the pitgate for the class.

I just want to remind anyone interested in running with the Southern Pro4's that we(LeeMotorsports) are interested in helping and willing to give you any info that may make it easier for you. Just email me.

An intresting note,the outlaw ministock that John Gunn had back in the 80s I believe is the #12 car built by Greg Spreen and his Dad Ed to race at McAllen in their outlaw class.The class was dropped after 3 races so many of us started racing at Riverside,then at CC Speedway.The last time I saw that car was when it was pushed into the wall at turn 2 at CC and went over the wall,breaking the oil pan.I never saw it race again.

I hope the pro4s have great success.They look like real race cars,similar to the Dash cars that Nascar used to sanction.At least there better organized than we were with the outlaws.The tire bill was the biggest concern,125 each and lasted only a nite or 2.My brother and I had good cars but could only afford to keep tires on 1 so we took turns racing.I remember with 10" tires I did not need brakes,I almost never let off.

The part thats intresting is that Greg Spreens son is on the cover of TxSZ right now with his new late model.Dillon won the Legacy title last year.3rd generation racer.Also intresting was I bought Gregs modified when he went to late model and won the first modified Nationals at RGS in 1991 with my brother driving.At 2000$ it was my biggest win.Small world afterall.

An intresting note,the outlaw ministock that John Gunn had back in the 80s I believe is the #12 car built by Greg Spreen and his Dad Ed to race at McAllen in their outlaw class.The class was dropped after 3 races so many of us started racing at Riverside,then at CC Speedway.The last time I saw that car was when it was pushed into the wall at turn 2 at CC and went over the wall,breaking the oil pan.I never saw it race again.

I hope the pro4s have great success.They look like real race cars,similar to the Dash cars that Nascar used to sanction.At least there better organized than we were with the outlaws.The tire bill was the biggest concern,125 each and lasted only a nite or 2.My brother and I had good cars but could only afford to keep tires on 1 so we took turns racing.I remember with 10" tires I did not need brakes,I almost never let off.

The part thats intresting is that Greg Spreens son is on the cover of TxSZ right now with his new late model.Dillon won the Legacy title last year.3rd generation racer.Also intresting was I bought Gregs modified when he went to late model and won the first modified Nationals at RGS in 1991 with my brother driving.At 2000$ it was my biggest win.Small world afterall.

interesting ....i wonder if john gunn still lives over here by me ..ill have to look into that ..have not seen him in years ..i see doug mcbee from time to time ...david evans .you know he passed ...eric wilson .i believe married into humpys' family and last i heard he worked or ran the track outside of the charlot track ...i remember seeing him race a couple of dash races ..if i remember right .bill branch raced with all of yah ..before he raced with us ..

The car that John Gunn had my uncle bought from him in 91 and ran it until 97 when it came off the trailer and kissed a oak tree coming home one night. Yes it was the car Greg Spreen drove it had part of the bat mobile body replaced and resembled a Pinto again beginning in 92. If I have time and can get the scanner to work right with the computer maybe I can get the pictures on here.

nick,let me pull on your ear awhile.the pro 4s that are being talked about,like the one that we have is a true west coast pro4.this car originally was being built as a tps rearwheel drive ford.2338.such as leroy and steve had built with a mustang body.the motor that i had purchased from esslinger had a dry sump on it.first rule from neil upchurch was no dry sumps.i had to take it off,cost $2500.i preceeded to build the car.the next rule was no quick changes.i would have to move the engine forward.i would have had to change all of the steering.i think that the brake system would have to had been changed at the cost of $800,which it costed me to have installed on the car.so then i decided instead of losing $3300.plus,that this car couldnt race in texas,a state that i was born and raised in.i decided it was time to head west.with the assumption that randy would drive my car.randy knew what i was building.in 2000,when randy won the tps championship,we got an invitation from the swpro 4s from california.inviting us to the swpro 4s championships,in san bernadino,calif.i thought that this was a great oppurtunity,not just for us,but representing the state of texas,as the only texas car invited.as we talked to the promoter,he said that our tps ran very close to their times.we were thrilled.our sponsors were thrilled,and we made the trip.i was amazed at the people and their attitudes toward racing.we were treated like family and well received.we ran against people from washington state,utah,calif.,oregon,all with swpro 4s and their rules.we bought a set of 10 inch tires and wheels.this was not randys tps car.this was the car that i decided to build.i had to lose $3300.to make my mind up.but it was agreat feeling to know that randys tps car could run close to those cars.some vws,some hondas,and different makes that made up their pro 4s.everyone of them were rearwheel drive.not one front wheel drive.the car that we raced was mine.we qualified 5th on a quarter mile high bank track,similar to cc at t a time of 13.5.which i thought was pretty impressive.there were 52 cars trying to get into a 25 car field.the people were very friendly, and told us that if we needed anything that it was there for us.this pro4 was built with alot of pride and needless to say alot of hard work and money.three years in the making.there is alot of difference in this pro4 and tps cars.i would like for you to know that everything you taiught us will always be appreciated by LEEMOTORSPORTS.in reply to o.t.it is not always what is under the body,but also what is under the helmet.i would hope that anyone that is interested in running a pro4 would be like the pro4 drivers out west.i would like to add that this car was built with the fans in mind.they are the ones that fill the stands so that we all may have another texas track to race on and have fun doing so.

MISTER LEE ..YOU KNOW I HAVE RESPECT FOR YOU .I THINK YOU ARE ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS IN RACEN ..I AM NOT TRYING TO RUIN ANYTHING YOU AND RANDY ARE TRYING TO DO ..I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT IM GETTING AT IS . WHAT YOU HAVE FOR A CAR IS WAY MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE HAS DOWN HERE .AND YOU SAID THIS CAR RAN 13.5 . I KNOW THAT CAR WILL DO THAT AT CC IF NOT MORE ..AND WHAT IS AROUND HERE CANT MATCH THAT ..AND IM NOT DOWNING ANY LOCAL CARS OR TPS CARS ..BUT THE FACT IS THE FACT .. . IF WE COULD COMPETE AND BEAT IT IN A FAIR RACE .. . YOU WOULD HAVE WASTED MONEY IN BUILDING THIS CAR . AND TO ANSWER YOUR ONE RESPONCE . ..THERE ARE ALOT OF GREAT DRIVERS OUT THERE THAT CAN TURN THOSE LAP TIMES .. ..I KNOW A FEW ..IM NOT INCLUDED ....DRIVERS HAVE ALOT TO DO WITH HOW FAST A CAR CAN RUN ..BUT IF YOU COULD HAVE RAN THOSE SPEEDS WITH THE OLD TPS CAR . YOU WOULD HAVE CHANGED BODYS AND SHOWED THOSE PRO 4 .S UP .... ON ANOTHER NOTE .. I THINK IT WOULD BE FUN AND GREAT FOR THE FANS .. JUST AS TPS IS GREAT AND FUN FOR THE FANS .ASWELL AS THE THUNDERS ..THEY ALL HAVE THIER PLACE IN LOCAL RACEN ..

These cars are not ministocks or texas thunders. Those car won't even get close with the big tires on them. And as far as tires are concerned, it doesn't matter if those tires last 10 races. If they are 4 tenths slower on the second night then you need new tires to compete with the guy that does put tires on every race. I for one think this is a good class, not sure if this will work due to cost but what the heck give it a try.

Archived