Slick Pics

ckeys

The pic at top row right is at Sooner in Altus. Now there was a great track for late models.

Watched Slick put on a clinic coming from the back to win after changing a flat at a lap 75 caution in late 1992 there. It was the race Larry watched from the truck after breaking his ankle. Wouldn't get it looked at until the race was over.

I have some of Slick also if I could figure out how to scan and get them on here. Get with my putter genius and see what I can do. Those are great. Sent them to Slick.

• 2 months later...

I have allot more buried somewhere, from that photo shoot on the grass! Even a few with the Basin receptionis modeling by the car! Cannot remember her name! hmm!

• 1 year later...

slick was probably " THE ONE " that i can 1st remember admiring. i would watch rheithmeyer and slick have legendary dogfights. i was around six or seven years old and would beg my parents to take me down to the pits afterwards just so he would say hi to me and give me a picture.

somewhere i still have some bubble goggles he signed.

-can't believe i'm just now seeing this thread?

big 10-4 on that one Horse! I have pit pass of his he signed and gave me in abour 81 somewhere. Trying to get a series together at THR where we bring these guys out, introduce interview, let em meet the fans all nite.... a Legends Series to honor the drivers we grew up watching. This man #1 on my hit list.

I didn't come across this topic until today. A few comments from the TIDA-LM record book .....

> Slick Yoemans holds the standing Texas International Drivers Association Late Model series record with the most championships - 3.

> From a total of 134 TIDA-LM races run, Slick Yoemans holds the standing series feature race winning record with 30 checkered flags.

> All of the photos appear to have been taken at TIDA Late Model races, some at Sooner International Raceway in Altus, OK and at CC Speedway in Corpus Christi.

> In the shot of Slick being interviewed in victory lane by the TIDA-LM PA Announcer Russ Martin who was the announcer during 8 of the 10 years of the series. The picture appears to have been taken at CC Speedway.

Of the 10 tracks where TIDA-LM contested races, Slick Yoemans holds qualifying records at the following tracks:

Slick Yoemans - October 19 1996, Corpus Christi Speedway - 1/4 mile oval - 13.485 seconds

Slick Yoemans - July 3, 1995, Red River Speedway/Wichita Falls-1/4 mile oval - 13.386 seconds

Slick Yoemans - Novvember 11, 1992,Texas World Speedway - 2 mile road course - 64.297 secs

Thanks to #24 crewman Larry Keys for the pictures. And yes, he did step one foot of off a trailer and break his ankle, but refused to go to the Altus Hospital until Slick ran the #24 Ford in the TIDA-LM feature race. Larry was a dedicated and obviously a brave crew chief.

And thanks to Slick Yoemans who was not only a great TIDA-LM drivers, but a great gentleman.

Neil Upchurch

Founder, Former President and Race Director

TIDA Late Model Series, 1988-1997

Me thinks one of the Keys posted a pic of this car in the past.

I think that car was purpose built with the weight and setback of the V-6 in mind.

It won a race at San Antonio with a broken bar in the back end of it, Seem to remember it was the third link bar, but not positive.

Chad or Jody Keys will know better.

anyone remember Slicks old commercial for Diamond Shamrock that used to come on during Trace Allee's Saturday AM show???? 24 zoomes in... "For all you need just pull in where you see the three-diamond sign"... Hell Yeah! ... thinkin back, that car may have been 22..

Archived