Southeast scenes

txtom

These pictures are for our racing and forum friends over in the southeast. MontgomeryMotorhead, VIR, Snowball, and others over there.

The first is Montgomery Speedway in happier times. Early 1960's.

The second shows #48 Freddy Fryar leading #1 Bob Burcham and #F-97 Red Farmer off turn 2 at Montgomery

post-21-1200888401_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200888474_thumb.jpg

A couple more pics.

The first one is Friday Hassler getting the checkers from Montgomery Flagman Johnny Garrison.

The second is Red Farmer in the F-97 racing inside #712 Jack Marlin at Montgomery in the early 60's

post-21-1200959019_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200959149_thumb.jpg

Over the many years I've been around race tracks, those old modifieds still hold a place near and dear to my heart. They may well be my favorites of all time. Ya gotta love those things. :)

Great race cars. During the '50s in the Houston area, the Super Modified/Modified Stock Cars were primarily '32-'34 coupes, with Ford being most popular. For the most part, body/frame channeling was done. However, the Modified from that era that stands out as my all time favorite was not channeled, but the top was chopped. It was the famous pink #58 Car. In the mid '50s as a Super, I believe it was owned by Ebb Rose, and driven by Buddy Rackley. In '59 & '60, as a Modified, it was owned and driven by M J Burton.

A couple more--

The first pic is the frontstretch at Montgomery. Lined up are #1 Bob Burcham, #88 Donnie Allison, #15 Friday Hassler, and #F-97 Red Farmer

The second pic is the Nashville Fairgrounds. This was taken when it was still a half-mile. Notice the extreme banking. In the bottom right, you can see the Armco guard rail for the inside 1/4 mile track.

post-21-1201146993_thumb.jpg

post-21-1201147138_thumb.jpg

Archived