NCTS finale

RodneyRodriguez

Anybody see that today ? Saw the hi-lites and looks look point leader

Gaughn had trouble ( and got maddd @ someone) and Ted Musgrave jump-started someone with 3 to go coming out of caution and lost the championship on that move to Travis Kvapil, I think he ended up winning by 9 points !!!

Busch should be good Saturday, about 4 guys in the hunt for that one.

Gaughan didn't have trouble. He came from the back of the field after changing an engine and was running in the top five, with a lock on the title. Tyler Walker (who the heck thinks he can drive?) hit the wall (his second screwup of the day), and the brain trust at NASCAR didn't put out the caution flag for an entire lap, at which point Marty Houston got sideways and took out Gaughan, who was then hit a ton by someone else, I think Brian Reffner. End of championship run.

Musgrave had it wired, but he did the same thing they busted Brian Vickers for at Texas, pulling to the left on a restart and moving up alongside Setzer. Black flag, and title to Kvapil, though it took NASCAR a while (ten or fifteen minutes) after the race to make the announcement.

Want to know the fun part? Walker and Houston were both in trucks entered by Jim Smith, as were P. J. Jones and one other driver (Andy Houston?). Smith also owns Musgrave's truck...

Yeah, i saw the end of it after school. Don't know why Musgrave was blaming Kvapil for brake checkin him on that last restart. Setzer was the reason that Musgrave had to pull out of line, and then Musgrave was crying that Kvapil was running him dirty. Theres gonna be some fines for the way them guys were talking. Musgrave said that next year his team is gonna be the biggest cheatin SOB's out there, and Gaughan said that somebody could kiss his @$$. It was pretty wild, wish the Cup boys season could've came down to the wire like the truck and bucsh guys. But congrats to Matt Kenseth and Kvapil for their championships, Kenseth ran consistent all year and they deserved it.

TQ - actually only two were not entered all season. The 27 truck has been run a few times as a 3 truck effort from Jim Smith. Jim Smith deserves a truck title considering he has supported the series since it began. Perhaps the other Ultra Motorsports trucks were racing to help Musgrave when the championship though? Going to be real interesting next year with Toyota coming in. The thought of Toyota in NASCAR just doesn't feel right with me.

I think that toyota will ruin nascar even though i like the competition. I think that they will spend so much money at it, that it will run alot of teams out of an already insane amount of money series i don't beleive that nascar can stop that part of the deal . But i am really glad to see TOYOTA come to SA there even creating jobs in austin . maybe will get some more racers moving here from other parts of the country

Jason-

You're right, the 27 did run a few times. My point was that it wasn't a regular entry, and neither were the other two. I also agree that Jim Smith deserves a title; he's one of the "founders" of the truck series, which sprang to life because the off-road guys like Smith were losing places to race, but had sponsorships and money invested in equipment. (In fact, he and the Gaughans both go back to those days, and Brendon has known Smith for years.)

I'm just not sure how Smith planned to go about "winning" the title, and I think Brendan may have had a few doubts.

Supertx-

Oh, yeah, Toyota is going to hit NASCAR like a bomb, but the late Dale Earnhardt said about the Japanese, "Bring 'em on. The more cars there are, the more there are to beat." Toyota may change things, but real competitors will love the action.

Archived