HiWay 16 Action, July 1978

txtom

A few pics from a crash in the Main event held on 22 July, 1978.

Everyone will recognize the cars of #7 Hubert Bean and #11 Monte Nichols, but who knows the third, the one with the back end sheetmetal taken off?

post-21-1200281959_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200281980_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200281990_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200282001_thumb.jpg

Yup, I think 78 was the last year he raced here.

Here are a few more pics from that night.

Notice pic #4, where we can see old friend Herb Stelzig directing how they will get Nichol's car off the back of the Blythe car.

Incidently, these photos were originally taken by Bob Cox of San Antonio.

This night, Blythe won the first heat, Bean the second. Charlie Koen won the dash and the feature.

In the last pic, you can see Bean running with some sheetmetal gone; both he and Nichols were able to patch their cars enough to run the main. But they both got caught up in another incident with Charles Evans which ended their night. That #50 car in the pic with Bean is Paul Gelpke of San Antonio.

post-21-1200283298_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200283309_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200283319_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200283331_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200283341_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200283351_thumb.jpg

Here is another crash sequence from two weeks before the one above.

This is the #77 of Lou Rigey, who was from Victoria, and later Cibolo.

He got there late, asked to hot lap before the heats, and this is the result.

post-21-1200287881_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200287891_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200287902_thumb.jpg

That last sequence of pictures reminds me of a time here in CC when one of the Sullivan boys, (I can't remember if it was Scot or John) got sideways on the wall in turns 3-4 like that but came back down on all fours and kept going. I think he only lost one spot.

And how about a couple of faces there in the pic where you see Blythe's front end just pulled out of Bean's door and there is a wrecker in the background. Looks like good friend Len Hayden(who we lost just a couple of years ago, r.i.p.) over the top of Bean's decklid, and just to the left is car and track owner Don Bierschwale.

I remember Hubert saying it wasn't very exciting feeling like Blythe's fan was right in his ear.

And a little coincidence on the Rigey flip....if I remember right....that was the second #77 to get on his top in a very short time frame.....(txtom will correct this as I can never remember how it goes) ...it was either Dick Munday from Sealy....or Dick "can't remember" from Munday.....that went over on the front straight sometime right around this same time.....everybody started wondering if the double 7's were jinxed.

Billy

That was Dick Mundee out of the North Houston area in the other 77. I think Mundee may have been in 79 or 80, but I am not sure. I will look around for some reference

That last sequence of pictures reminds me of a time here in CC when one of the Sullivan boys, (I can't remember if it was Scot or John) got sideways on the wall in turns 3-4 like that but came back down on all fours and kept going. I think he only lost one spot.

scot ...scot also went though the bushes out of turn two at riverside ..we could hear his motor reving up and he came out in turn three ..lost aboult two spots ..lucky he didnt end up swimming in the oso ..

Archived