ASA comming back to Houston

WildRacer5

Is ASA comming back to Houston in 2k4? I know they say that the rest of the dates will be annouced but I hope that Houston is on the list. It seemed that it was a good race last year. With all the other big markets that ASA is at running at the bigger tracks seems like they might still need the race in Houston.

The Houston site had March 27 for a while then they had March 20th then there was no date posted. When ASA released their initial schedule it was touting USA International as the season opener. I hope Graham get all of the details worked out. I'm with you ivicic I would like to see my Wisconsin friends this spring.

Oxford Plains Speedway just got added, not looking to good for Houston at this point! Let just all hope they come. They may go to Texas Motor Speedway with the SMI connection that they have.

Heres the link about Oxford Plains being added

http://www.asaracing.com/asa_today/394035.html

Wild may be right with this thought. Since ASA has aligned itself with the Speedway Motorsports (Bruton Smith) corporation, Maybe They are looking at TMS on April 4th as a tag-along to the Cup weekend instead of going to Houston.

Do you think that maybe that ASA doesn't want to pay to race?

No question. And it may be down to what TMS has to offer VS. Houston. Let's see, 150,000+ potential fans against maybe 3500?

Not saying TMS is even in the hunt for a race, just pointing out a couple realistic figures that a marketing person will be looking at.

If ASA did decide to race at TMS, I doubt they could squeeze it during Cup weekend. With all the practice, qualifying and races on the big track, plus two WoO shows on Fri. and Sat. nights on the dirt track, it would be a logistic nightmare.

Lets just hope that one Texas track gets picked to fill the remaining spot on the schedule.

This is posted on Jayski's site today.

ASA in for ARCA? The American Speed Association's [ASA] move to Bruton Smith's tracks has provoked comment in the Winston Cup garage. The ASA will apparently be replacing ARCA as standard Saturday shows on the Winston Cup tour on weekends when the Busch Series is playing elsewhere. The ASA has announced 2004 races at Charlotte and Atlanta, and Texas may also be added. It is unclear if backstretch chicanes will be added to those tracks to slow speeds.(Winston Salem Journal)(11-16-2003)

Emphasis on "Texas"

Hi Mel,

That rumor has been going around for about 3 years or better. It seems to pop up about this time every year.

I think it'd be a great venue as an asphalt track, but I won't hold my breath waiting.

Reb-

I think the ASA schedule is supposed to be 18 races, so there's still a chance, though I think it is slim. ASA may want the Bakers to pay for the race the way other tracks do, but ASA isn't big enough in the Houston area for it to be a big draw so they could make out on the deal. With a few years of promotion and racing, it might be a moneymaker, but not now.

Texas Motor Speedway would have the same problem: it's one thing to have 150,000 seats, and another thing to fill them. They don't fill the seats (or even come close) for Craftsman truck and IRL races, and it would take a while to build up the ASA market. Bruton may have the money to lose, but he didn't get where he is by taking on things he knew were going to lose money.

I have to agree with Jason about the IRL race at TMS on the same day as the ROMCO race. Although we had our choice of seats for the ROMCO race, the stands and parking lots were full of people for the IRL. I don't think they lost any money on that race. I too hope ASA takes a serious look at TMS in the future.

Archived