SAS points fund idea

SASPEEDRACER24

I think I have one for SAS and I think it has been talked about in this same thread in one variation or another. Basically I think if SAS added $5 to the price of all pit passes during the regular races I.E. non ROMCO/TSRS dates and other non SAS regular cars. Going by last yearscar count and also expecting more roadrunners this season and averaging 4 people per car you would have rougly 120 to 140 people in paid pit passes. 140x5 = $700 to 120x5 $600 figure a 20 race season and you get between $14,000 to $12000 in points fund there before FASCAR or any other donations. Also what they could do is instead of $8 per adult they could take the price back up to $10 but let the fans know via signs and announcements that $2 of their ticket price goes directly to the driver points fund. Using that same formula if you get 500 fans a night you get $1000 a night in points money. Using the same formula as above you are looking at $20,000 there. $34,000 would make for a very good points purse wouldnt it.............. Question is would the drivers be willing to pay the extra $5 per person and the fan pay $2 more... Also another question would be can you attract more cars with more money to be racing for? With 3 classes you could easily split that purse 55, 35, 20 for LM Charger and RR respectively 18,200 for LM's 11,900 for Charger and 6,800 for RR. What a concept...

Please quit bashing SASPEEDRACER about whether or not he is or isn't a racer, I would like to remind you, and anyone else taking an "us against them" mentality about drivers versus fans - on whether or not the drivers should be charged an additional amount for THEIR points fund, let me just remind the drivers -

It's YOUR hobby. If you don't/can't afford it - then why should anyone else pay their money to come support YOUR fun? Raise the grandstand fees by $4 or $5 to cover YOUR points fund, and you know what is going to happen? Fans will go back to the movies on a Saturday night, or to a horse race on a Saturday night, or stay at home and rent pay-per-view on Saturday night. You're NOT the only game in town. And that's what the promoters are up against.

Some of ya'll say it's the promoter's job to get the sponsors to cover additional points funds. I disagree. The promoters/track owners have done their job - they've provided YOU a place to come race. If you need a sponsor in order to be able to afford to race, then by gum, find yourselves a sponsor. If your employer, or your father-in-law, or your next door neighbor, or the guy you get your motor built by won't sponsor you, then look elsewhere.

The track sponsors are already paying money to the track so that they are able to provide you a place to race, a weekly purse, and to pay the officials officiating your race, and keeping the lights on at the track, and the water running, etc, etc.

If you're looking for a hobby that will make you money - take up stamp or coin collecting. But if you're looking for an occassional trophy, a check that will cover your gas and maybe if you're lucky, your tires, and the adoration of fans (some related to you - and some not) cheering and clapping for you after a hard won victory then stick with it.

But as a FAN, here's my advice, if you want us to keep CHEERING for YOUR hobby, then quit CRYING about not making any money doing it.

Amen, TXRaceFan . . . well said!

Almost all non-professional hobbies cost money, with no return other than personal satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. For example, the deer hunters have to pay for a lease, gun, etc., and if they get a trophy, it's one they pay a taxidermist to mount! And they certainly don't get any cash back. The story is the same for fishing, gardening, etc.

I realize that maintaining a race car is probably more expensive most other hobbies, but I too would like to see more of a partnership between the drivers and the track to promote racing and attract sponsors. Your thoughts echo mine. Maybe we can make it happen at SAS in 2004 . . .

TxRaceFan --

Please quit bashing SASPEEDRACER

I don't see where ramey60 was bashing. He simply stated his opinion and noted that SASPEEDRACER24 is probably not a racer (and, by implication, not seeing the issue from a racer's point of view).

then quit CRYING about not making any money doing it.

ramey60 didn't seem to be crying to me. He/she simply stated his/her opinion that the pit pass price should not be increased.

SASPEEDRACER posted his suggestion and sought feedback. He even posted a poll on the subject (in another thread) in his effort to obtain feedback. ramey60 simply provided some of the requested feedback from one racer's perspective. Although I don't know who ramey60 is, I assume he/she is well aware of the costs involved in racing, weighed the costs verses the rewards and elected to field a race car. Just because he/she doesn't want the price of a pit pass raised does not make him/her anti-fan or anti-track or anti-sponsor.

The promoters/track owners have done their job - they've provided YOU a place to come race.

Track owners and promotors have indeed done their job in providing the racing facility and/or race series. But I'm afraid they have not done such a bang-up job in the race promotion department. South /Central Texas race tracks are pretty much a well-kept secret.

Surely racers can help out with track/series promotion and surely race teams can help the track/series out by donating their time, talent and even money. But are race teams ultimately responsible for the overall promotion of the track/series and generating prize and points fund money?

Nick Holt

Your right that Im not a racer and it seems to me that you think that you are worried that your not going to get that money back that you put in but you just like everyone else never asked me how I would distibute the money.... First off lets look at how it was spread over the classes starting at Roadrunners. Im going to base this on 15 cars even though we only had 5 at the most this year. Using the payout %as stated about that class itsself would get roughly 7000 in end of the year money. The way that I would do it is that positions 5-15 get $450 1-5 get in order $1000-$750-$650-$550-$500 now considering that most Roadrunner crews consist of only the driver but possibly one other person at most they are putting $10 on a given race night or over a 20 race season at most put in $200 so they have a net gain of $250 on the money that they put in... In Chargers based on 25 cars 10-25 would get $450 1-10 get in order $1250-900-800-700-650-650-650-650-600-600... Late Models based on 20 cars 10-20 would get $800 top 10 in order would get $2000-1500-1250-1250-1000-1000-1000-1000-1000-1000. The catch would be that you have to complete 20% of the total laps completed and 50% of the total races to be eligable for these funds. If you dont meet that requirement you get the money you paid into the system back meaning if you raced 9 races or 19% of the laps you would get your $5 back for each weekend you showed. Maybe this helps you out on the idea. The other side to this idea is to attract more cars which in turn will make people who might want to sponsor the track and when that happens the Sposor money takes over what the drivers put in once that happens the extra $5 and $2 for the fans goes away. Like I said its an idea... If you want everyone else to pay for your HOBBY then your not in the right HOBBY to begin with. Just a little insight about taking and giving to the racers. Last year I did my best to give what little I could to the racers on a constant basis. I had to put up with alot more than I thought I would in the first year that I went from being a fan and doing nothing more than sitting in the stands to being in the pits and at times helping drivers with what little I could do. Some people on this board dont want to take my opinions seroiusly because Im not a "Driver" or "Racer" and its that is the kind of thing that is hurting racing. Some people are worried about thier Chicken or Egg theory while shooting down every theory but thier own. Or dont have any theory at all. All Im trying to do is come up with an idea and I understand you all dont want to spend any more than you have to but if its going to attract more cars which will attract more fans which would attract more sponsors then what are you really loosing.....

I live in North SA and have the easy choice of going to SAS or THR. At the start of the season, we went to SAS and the price was too high. After a month or so they made it affordable. So we could pay $8 for SAS or $12 for THR. The extra $4 was worth it because on the nights SAS had RR, Sportsman and LM, there were maybe 30 cars; THR had more cars and more races, including the dwarfs. We only went to SAS when there was rain at THR, or a special series. I don't think raising prices will help any, but increasing attendance will.

Maybe to get more $$ for the point fund, and to increase attendance over the long haul would be to tell larger companies that they can have a discount or group rate for a given night. Let's say you offered Valero, or SBC or Time Warner employees admission for $6 each as a group. Most of these folks have never been to a race, so all of the gate is extra income. If 100 paid, which would be a low count since these companies have thousands of workers in SA, that would be an extra $600, and use half for the points fund. I'm sure that there are at least 20 large companies, banks, etc. that would be interested. 20 races x $300 is an extra $6,000 for the fund, well more than the 50/50 tickets netted.

My company gets these offers from the Spurs, Missions and Rampage regularly. At Missions games, we show our ID badge and get the discount at the gate on the given night. They announces the company name during a slow time and everybody wins. Who knows, they may get some repeat business at the next race becasue they had a good time.

Man you guys bum me out .All this effort put into these posts and we are still no closer to any solutions.These. [eddited out by Jim Creech]You guys make me want to sell my car and all the parts a do something else.

Sorry Jim... Im just trying... But I realize that what I have put down is really a pipe dream. But hey thats what ideas are for... Some get shot down some dont. I like spectator's idea and I also think that is one that came up in our Comp meeting that we had that one Tues. But I think it was to a lesser degree compaired to his idea...

Archived