Help About Late 60's Modified

Bobby

This is a long shot, but maybe the power of the internet can help fill in a history blank regarding an old Central Texas modified.

When I was in the Bryan/College Station area in the mid-70's, some acquaintances who knew of an old racecar in the Central Texas area decided to borrow it from the owner, get it running and drag it out to the Navasota dirt track for the heck of it.

The car turned out to be generically similar to the Bill White modified which has been ascribed to the early to mid-60's on this board. It was some sort of open body, possibly a Model-T, straight frame rails with rear kick-up, transverse "buggy" springs and straight front axle. Engine was a 327 chevy - I don't remember anything out of the ordinary about the carburetion so it was probably a single Holley. It was on a single axle trailer which was obviously built around the car.

This was in about 1976, and the car had been in storage for many years - I'm guessing 7-10. Even by 1976 standards it was an antique.

When I say Central Texas, I am remembering it as Waco or Temple. The person who knew the car owner was Mr. Delbert Stanly, a College Station banker. He enrolled "Dirty" George Hollwedel, a former National SCCA racer to drive it, and George asked me to come along because I had some oval track crew experience.

As you can guess, I am wondering if this could possibly have been the Bill White car, or if Bill or anyone else from that area would know what cars would still have been in existance at that time? I know this isn't much to go on......

Bobby, there were quite a few super-modifieds around during the early to mid '60s with "Model T" type bodys on them. For everyone I knew of there were probably 3 or 4 others I never saw. The Bill White car is the only one from around the Temple are I know of, though.

I've got another one of those type cars in mind that I'm going to try to get a couple of pics of to put on here later this off-season.

I don't think it did, I believe I would remember that.

In general it was very "old-school" - stock type radius rods (no heim joints), it may have had a quick-change but if it did it was with old-style axle bells. The headers were just the short straight stacks, no collectors. I don't think it had knock-offs. The tires were the tall-skinny ones like shown on the B. White number 2, not the wide ones like shown on his early 70's coupe.

Again, sorry I don't remember more. At the time I had no idea this would ever be of interest. It is only after seeing your posts that I am thinking "Hmmm, I wonder if....."

Archived