Safety Equipment Dealer

RETIRED FAN

I was talking with the Swensons about safety equipment and Gary said that he would be giving discounts on their complete line of safety equipment to anyone wanting to upgrade their stuff. Now that we're all thinking about safety equipment maybe it's time to take him up on it.

Nick

Good Question: I will list the sites for several of the Saftey Equipment Suppliers- you can shop & compare the various manufactures for yourself. We have or can get any of the products listed below. Call for quotes

Thanks 210 3784848. simpsonraceproducts.com,fuelsafe.com,firebottleracing.com,atlinc.com,gforce.com,

jazproducts.com,rciracing.com

Christmas is just around the corner & we have just received our Simpson shipment of great track side equipment that make great gifts. If we don't have your size or selection we can get it in a day or two. Call for quotes.

210 3784848

Remember we are discounted all our Saftey Equipment & Supplies during November.

Gentlemen,

Do you know if there is a fuel cell area fire system that is both foam based and heat activated? Is there such a thing as it being able to be triggered by both a manual cable and a heat activated head?

I would like to be able to trigger it myself but it still have the ability to "self activate" at say 150/175F (?) if I'm clocked out.

You can't be too careful on Lap 0 these days :D

Thanks

Jay

Jay- Good Question. Yes there is a "New System" by Fire Bottle that allows for Manual or automatic activation. It is called Fire Bottle AMRC-500. The driver can activate the system either by pull cable or push top OR if the temperature reaches 155 degrees the system will activate automatically thus allowing the driver time to exit the vehicle. It comes in a 5 lb or 10lb bottles. Also it can be charged with Halon 1211 or Dupont FE-36. Give me call if you want more info. & price. Thanks Gary Swenson 210 3784848

Jay,don't know if you have it already,but 45.1 roll bar padding is something to have on your bars.It's flame retardent,and will not drip or melt in a fire.Also has maximum energy absorption.Well worth the extra $$.

Mr. Swenson,

On a real hot summer day, want the temp around the fuel cell reach 155 degrees just from reflection off the fuel cell? Also, with these systems, can you put two nozzles in the drivers compartment? Do you have a showroom, if so, where is it located?

Thanks

Jay,don't know if you have it already,but 45.1 roll bar padding is something to have on your bars.It's flame retardent,and will not drip or melt in a fire.Also has maximum energy absorption.Well worth the extra $$.

Yes, we have that padding in both 19 and 98. I had that colorful pipe insulation for years. It was all there was at the time and was certainly better than nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jay

Jay- Good Question. Yes there is a "New System" by Fire Bottle that allows for Manual or automatic activation. It is called Fire Bottle AMRC-500. The driver can activate the system either by pull cable or push top OR if the temperature reaches 155 degrees the system will activate automatically thus allowing the driver time to exit the vehicle. It comes in a 5 lb or 10lb bottles. Also it can be charged with Halon 1211 or Dupont FE-36. Give me call if you want more info. & price. Thanks Gary Swenson 210 3784848

Thank you , Gary. That's really close but not an aqueous foam. I've never REALLY been confident with the halon system that is in the driver area now. I have used that type of system successfully in a couple of drag and stock car fires but always in an enclosed cockpit situation. I am worried about a too rapid dispersal of the halon "cloud" in an "open" car. By observation, I see that aircraft crash trucks use foam. I suspect that's because it works better "out in the open" and is better at preventing re-ignition for a longer period of time. Maybe some Navy red shirts or airfield pro's can comment on this.

Besides, if a following car was treating you unprofessionally, it might accidently activate (from the impact, of course) and coat them with viscous foam at a crucial moment.... :lol:

Thanks for looking into this. I will call you for the system you found if I can't find ( or adapt) a foam system for the fuel cell area.

Jay

Jay- The system actually comes charged with Dupont FE-36. You can read about the advantages of Fe-36 @ www2.dupont.com

Jay- also, I believe that the rating for the system is about 17 Cubic Ft per lb. You can get a 5 lb or 10 lb Bottle which would give more capacity in an open modified environment.

Grady,I know in the racing I'm with,I see more than one nozzle in the drivers compartment on alot of cars that require a system.The nozzles are mounted in front of the feet.Our rules also recommend no more than 3 nozzles per bottle.

I read the Dupont data on FE 36. It does not appear to be a foam. It reads more like it is a low tox Halon replacement that would be really attractive in a closed area like a airplane.

I am looking down that messy, white ColdFire or AFFF road. I am impressed with their performance in the big 300 mph drag racing bar b ques. :o

I have found them in either cable or heat activated but not "both". I may have to reverse engineer something to meet my desire.

Thanks for your research.

Jay

Can I get an answer or I am just a dumb a**

Grady - Did not mean to insult you. Have been away from my computer. Please give me a call & I would be happy to answer any question you have. If I don't know the answer I will do my best to find out for you. Yes, we do have stock on hand to view. We also offer a full service racing shop as well as parts sales. We are in Boerne Tx about 30 miles from San Antonio. We do ship & drop ship from our suppliers. We accept all major credit cards. 210 3784848.

In response to the question about foam vs. halon, I would reccommend a foam based system with the main area of dispersal being the drivers compartment. I am the owner of a motorsports safety team that provides fire and rescue protection to dirt and asphalt events from sprints to dragsters. Keep in mind when planning your safety program that you are buying yourself time to get out or be rescued.....The amount of time you need will be determined by the ability and capabilties of the track safety team. We work with no less than 4 people and carry everything from bandaids to the Jaws to cut drivers out as well as our firefighting capability.

I registered here to help you guys and if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you are racing somewhere that needs us let me know that too. Your safety is our focus.

Thanks REB I have already got a response or two from folks on email. I have read all of your posts here and elsewhere, and you are right about many of the things you talked about. One thing drivers should know is that many of the promoters out there ARE NOT willing to pay for the level of protection that you deserve as a participant in a dangerous sport. In fact I have had one tell me that if you don't "lose one" every now and then that safety has taken over the sport. Pretty bad attitude huh?

I have actually had my guys jumped on for doing thier jobs at some tracks. "Just pull'em out the window....Please dont cut the car up" Admittedly this is not the norm, but folks need to wake up. The days of the safety team in tshirt and jeans should be gone. Proper protective clothing worn by trained personnel will add to YOUR chances of survival as will a truck equipped with the right gear. The NFPA has a standard, NFPA 610< which outlines the procedures and guidelines for safety at motorsports events. Ask your safety team if they know about it...or the requirments for the equipment they are supposed to carry. Does your promoter know and follow these guidelines?

I'm not here to preach, but I got in to this to protect drivers and the folks who enjoy racing and I will do whatever it takes to succeed.

I know what you're talking about regarding tracks/safety.......but it never ceases to amaze me how many people will race at a track with no ambulance and/or very little fire crew. Then turn around and defend that track when people bring up the safety issue.

There are several of us here that witnessed the aftermath of another fatal fire at a now closed dragstrip where the only fire safety was 2-20# extinguishers in the ambulance. Now how insane is that!! :huh:

Probably over this weekend I'm going to get into my second topic on fuel/fuel cells & caps/fuel line routing. Please feel free at ANY time to jump into one of my discussions. I know some other people(that were in Abilene) that are going off on their own safety crusade promotion, they might be interested in speaking with you also.

Sorry Mr. Swenson, didn't mean to hijack your post.

safety1,

Could you please explain the advantages of wearing nomex full length underwear? I know over the years I have read and had discussions with safety personnel over the importance of it. I do not believe racers are aware of how much protection it gives you when added to a fire suit. It is really an inexpensive item when all of the advantages are known.

If you're looking for a fire supression system,you may check,but I believe Jan 1st,2008 is the date Halon 1211/1301 agents "WILL NOT" be certifiable either new or for recertification?New EPA guidelines.

Ok guys here is lesson 1 regarding firesuits, nomex underwear etc. . If you are wearing a single layer suit of nomex and you get hit,rolled or whatever and are unconcious or trapped in your burning car my guys and I have only 30 seconds to get to you and get you out before you begin burning, assuming your suit is in perfect condition and not an oily greasy mess. Not much time when you consider it happens at the far end of the track and we have to fight the fire to get to you.

If you have a two layer quilted suit with underwear we will have time to get to you and hopefully have the fire knocked down before you are burned. Remember that with underwear you get the added benefit of thermal protection before the actual burning starts. There are actually some multi-layer suits out there that will allow you to stand up to direct flame for 60 seconds or better before the heat gets to you.

Same goes for gloves, hoods and shoes. They are worth every penny you spend on them if you dont want to get burned.

The bottom line is that you are giving yourself 30-60 seconds of protection by adding underwear to a two layer suit and only 15-30 with a single layer suit under optimum conditions, maybe a little more. When purchasing look for TPP(thermal protection rating) of suits and underwear. Also look into the carbon X

underwear and hoods....cooler with added protection.

Keep in mind though that no matter how well prepared you are and how well equipped we are as a safety team things do go wrong. We just need to work together to ensure that drivers have a fighting chance in an incident.

Maybe I wasnt clear....With a two-layer AND underwear under optimum conditions you will have appx.60 seconds of protection with NOMEX. Most of the guys are using single or two layer of material other than nomex which gives the lower TPP rating from SFI. Also keep in mind this is under the best of conditions.... clean suit, no fuel directly dumped on you etc. A dirty suit can hurt you when you think you have the maximum protection.

Hopefully that clarified my statements from earlier. Basically you only have seconds to work with in the best situation.

Archived