This is a sad way to report a where are they now...

sword56

I just received news today that former Longhorn Speedway racer Jackie Whited took his own life yesterday. He had been in poor health for the past several months with an intestinal infection. He would have been 48 years old next month.

Jackie raced the number 59 Street Stock Nova in the 80's and 90's at Longhorn Speedway until a fall ended his career. He was quick on the track, but even quicker to "rumble" as some of the elder statesman of Austin racing have told me. Jackie was as ready for a fight as he was ready to race. Some will say this wasn't a bad characteristic, as there was never a dull moment when he was around.

Jackie's brain injury after the fall made it impossible for him to race, but it brought him something that none of us race fans could ever hope for. A personal letter from Dale Earnhardt. Yes, the man in black, number 3. Jackie was the biggest Earnhardt fan I had ever met, in a racing world full of Dale Earnhardt fans. After the injury, Jackie's mother wrote to Dale, telling him of Jackie's injury. Dale sent Jackie a personally signed letter of encouragement. At the end of the letter, Dale wrote "Thanks for cheering for me, because I am cheering for you!" That letter was Jackie's most prized possession.

Rest in peace, Jackie. We will say a prayer for you.

It is a sad day for me

Back in the 80's I went to watch him race at Longhorn, I was hooked. After that night at the track, I wanted to drive. Not long after that race I bought a car and he helped me get it together. Jackie was my inspiration to get into auto racing.

Thank you Jackie

Rest in peace cousin

Tom

Hi! I am Jackies oldest daughter and I just wanted to thank everyone for the support and for the nice things that you have said about my dad. He was a great person and we will miss him. It is just nice to see how much people cared and the nice things that they have to say about him. Again thank you, it really means a lot.

Jenna

Jack and I are actually cousins and friends. He was over at my house last Sunday saying how happy he was that our birthdays were coming up and he would be off his medication at about that time. He wanted to stay the weekend and celebrate.

What happened Jack?....

"Five Aces Racin", myself, and family want to give our condolences to the entire Whited family.

So much more I want to say.....I will just hold on to the memories.

I am so saddened to hear this, Marvin sent me an email this morning, sometimes I think when I hear of sad things like this I just kinda go blank and then it hits me! Oh my, Jackie was such a kind person, after his accident, he was such a trooper. He was always fun to watch race, he was such a hard racer. Marvin, thank you for the email, our prayers are with the entire Whited family.

Jenna you have someone to always be proud of, he was a good man and to have been such a good man, I just know he was a great father, may God be with you and your family.

Sincerely,

H & Mary Ann

I first met Jackie before I ever drove a racecar. The first time we went to Longhorn speedway, we happened to sit right smack in the middle of Jackies cheering section. What a wild bunch we thought but man were they rooting for their guy or what! Go Jackie, get him Jackie! Kick his ass Jackie, these were just a few of the demands his gang was hollering. From the outside looking in I would have never wanted Jackie, Sheldon, Chuck or any of them ever mad at me, I could'nt have been more wrong tho because once I got to know them , they could'nt have been any nicer to us. Once I started racing I never beat Jackie once. The closest I got was finishing 2nd in a heat race with Jackie winning it. We blew up in the feature and Jackie came over to my house the next day to help us figure what went wrong. He was the first person from the track to offer us any help at all.After Jackie got hurt I think I developed a great friendship that I will never forget. He would come out to our shop while we prepped our car, he would tell my guys what they were doing wrong. He loved to tease my wife Tracy that he wanted to hunt the deer she would feed in our yard. He loved to tease and pick on me and I liked to give it right back. He would sell firewood on 360 and I would pull up so close to his truck he could'nt get out when a customer came up. He would always start a phone call with "what the hell?" so much that our xmas cards to him were addressed Jack what the hell Whited. When I introduced him to my family from Michigan I would get to them first and tell them ask Jackie if it was true that Steve used to beat you like a drum on the track. This would really get him going.I sure am gonna miss Jack, He was a strong man, a opionionated man and he was sure proud of his kids and his grandkids. The guys that he used to race with knew their was no tougher guy they had to deal with on or off the track He had so much Earnhard in him it was uncanny, from the looks , the way he walked , the way he drove. We will all miss him forever. Love ya Jackie... Steve Sims

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have a picture or 2 of the 59 NOVA that Jackie drove at Longhorn.

Thanks

Tom

hey tom,

we do have several pictures of all of jackies race cars. which one the orange one, blue & white one, and there were two more forgot the colors, (oh by the way this is lisa, jackie's ex-wife) let me know and give me your address and in the next few weeks we will try to get some out to you

talk to you later

[size=3

My name is Lisa, I'm Jackie's ex-wife. Even though we were divorced Jackie & I were still close.

I don't think that Jackie knew how many friends he had or how many people looked up to him or the lives that he touched. I wish he could have remembered that.

I think all of you for the special memories of Jackie, I remember those race days too... man that seems so long ago

Thank you all!!!!

I'll miss Jackie!!!!!!

Love Lisa

• 10 months later...

Archived