Topless 100 and Sprint Series of Texas

Lucky161

I'll post this on the dirt forum too, but for anyone interested:

Topless 100 and Sprint Series of Texas at Cowtown Speedway this friday and saturday night. 2 day tickets are available online for $25, saving $2.

I've never seen the topless cars run, but they appear to be either dirt late models and/or modifieds with the top off. Cage is still there, just the sheet metal is gone.

SST had 36 cars at TMS last weekend and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't have the same this week.

Lucky, it's the dirt modifieds @ Cowtown. The cool thing about them going topless is being able to watch the drivers thrash on the steering wheel.

Keep those elbows up!!!

From the pictures I suspected that. I was already planning to go for the sprints, so this is just an added bonus from my point of view and I am sure I'll like them too.

Back in the day, a "Run What Ya Brung" craze hit the Northeast, with several tracks running special events with very liberal rules. Some just showed up in modifieds, some took the roof off, some added some body work for downforce, some put small wings, big wings, widened the bodies and had side wings...you get the idea. I don't want to lift pictures from the site - but you can check these out.

http://www.3widespicturevault.com/80spisc&..._BPT_0080_1.htm

It was all fun until one day, Jimmy Horton (Yes the same Jimmy Horton who had so much success in ARCA and was last seen on the Cup circuit flying over the turn 1 wall at Talladega)..showed up at the track. While everyone else was making their modifieds more like sprint cars, he and the Statewide Racing team converted their #3 sprint to make it look more like a modified. I was there that day, and it was a site to see. Not too many guys could keep up with him, except a guy named Billy Pauch - some of you yankees may have heard of him...

http://www.3widespicturevault.com/80spisc&..._BPT_0080_1.htm

Archived