Couple of old photos

NickHolt

Any idea where and when this photo was taken? The car on the left is easy to identify, but who is driving the Chevelle on the right?

post-3-1187374644_thumb.jpg

We broke the camera on this shot... who are these young guys?

post-3-1187374692_thumb.jpg

maybe a road race @ the Autodromo? I can't see the chevelle good enough, maybe the 76 is Neil?

that picture is Cheech & Chong I believe?

Rodney - you have the Monterrey, Mexico location correct. But, that's not Neil Upchurch in the Camaro.

You got the Cheech and Chong right, but which one is which?

Nick

Looks like Ed Sczech and Nick back in his dark hair days,

I believe the 76 is Sczech. Is the black chevelle Tom Williams in the #72 he bought from Benny Parsons?

Originally built by Tex Powell?

You got it all right, Tom. You get an "A+" for today!

I can't recall if Ed or Tom won that particular race. If it's the one that Tom won, he came across the finish line a car length ahead of Ed, but with white cord showing across most of the face of the RF tire. Another lap and Tom's car would have popped that tire.

If it's the one Ed won, it would have been the Mexican equivilent of the Wild World of Sports telecast. There were all kinds of highly exotic cars from Mexico - Porches, RX 7s, etc. - that Ed and Tom out-qualified, much to their chagrin. None of the TV commentators knew how to speak English and Ed did not know how to speak Spanish, so you can only imagine how funny the post-race interview was. Ed just kinda stood there with that wonderful smile of his and kept saying "Gracias, muchas gracias." They could have been telling him what a jerk he was or something, but old Ed just kept smiling and saying, "Gracias."

Lot's of good stories about the Sczech crew's expoits in Mexico, but unfortunatley I can't remember much about them. I'm sure I was a perfect gentleman. And it wasn't me who threw the motel furniture from the eighth floor in to that pool...

Nick

Nick, thanks for posting these photos. I have photos of Ed's Chevelle that I will try to post this weekend.

We used to ride dirt bikes with Ed and his buddies behind Churchill High School. Ed had incredible endurance and would ride for hours on end, only to stop for gas and take off again. I also remember they had one sweet "dune buggy" made out of an old stock car that could carve a path in the brush with just a couple of passes.

Archived