Notice the Resemblence?

CC57

Sure Bobby, that could work well. And, I correct myself .......... V-8s not needed. Four Cyls would do fine.

What do the Thunder Roadsters run now?

Here's the current version of the USAC Silver Crown pavement car. They run about 180 on the big ovals.

post-1274-1186460840_thumb.jpg

Here's the roadster Foyt won the 500 in ....... 1961 I think.

post-1274-1186461114_thumb.jpg

Most inexpensive racing I've ever been involved in. Tires last a long time (maybe 10 or 12 races, maybe longer as I'm still evaluating the ones I have), you could/can run pump gas and still be competitive; many parts come off a Toyota; simple to work on, light weight, etc.

Budman, the current engine is the same as in the legends: a sealed air-cooled 4-cyl 4-stroke Yamaha. But they just introduced this year a water-cooled version. After this season is over, I am converting to the water-cooled.

The car has a 3-link with coilovers, and is easy to adjust camber/caster/bump steer, rack-n-pinion steering. Everyone has to run the same wheels, shocks, motors, and carbs. All you can really adjust is ride height, springs rates, weight placement (within percentages rules), carb jetting, plug type, set-up, etc. We feel this puts a lot of the racing back in the driver/set up guy's hands.

Our lap times at HMP are mid 15's (record so far is a 15.1). Usually 15.4 to 15.7. (compare this to Mods running 15.2 to 15.7. So we're real close to their speeds at a fraction of the cost.)

Come on out and check out the racing one time. We've got about 14 or 15 cars in the Houston area and we're trying to build the class. Last race, only 4 showed up for some reason. Race before, we had 12. I know they also run them at TMS (the ¼ mile that uses part of the front stretch and pit row).

And here. Let me hang a carrot: PM me and we'll work out a deal so you could get in a few laps at HMP.

(And I think it was 1963. Check out some pics of the 1963 cars of Foyt and Parnelli Jones.)

Cool CC57, About 25 of those with small block V-8s and you'd have one hell of a series! Papa, you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

Now you're talkin'! I do like the Thunder Roadsters, but they have the same drawback to me that the Legends cars have. NO BIG V8 SOUND!

Sure Bobby, that could work well. And, I correct myself .......... V-8s not needed. Four Cyls would do fine.

I am finally getting used to the new SC cars and now I'm ready to see them at TMS. But they only seem to have about 17 of them on the tracks so far. They would need a lot more at TMS in my opinion. But with the purses that TMS could pay, that shouldn't be too much to ask.

I'd like to see a USAC Silver Crown support race at TMS. I've e-mailed them on this before, but they need to hear from a lot of us before it could happen. I encourage those of you who would also be interested in such a race to do so. I'll look up their contact address and post it here later.

While we're looking at old Indy Roadsters, here's a beauty ......... driven by Jim Hurtibise.

post-1274-1186505911_thumb.jpg

I think the run the same fj1200 motorcycle motor that the legends run.

For now, they just introduced this year a water-cooled version. After this season is over, I am converting to the water-cooled.

"The cost of a new Silver Crown racecar can run as much as $80,000 for a pavement car and a little less for a car to run on the dirt ovals. This is truly a national circuit with races scheduled from California to Virginia."

$80K!! :o I think I'll stay with my less than $9k Thunder Roadster

"The cost of a new Silver Crown racecar can run as much as $80,000 for a pavement car and a little less for a car to run on the dirt ovals. This is truly a national circuit with races scheduled from California to Virginia."

$80K!! :o I think I'll stay with my less than $9k Thunder Roadster

Not too mention yours is much better looking. :D

Of course there's a huge difference between the SC and your Thunder Roadster, but there ARE some similarities in appearence. That's why I posted the pics.

Those Indy roadsters in the sixties turned speeds in the 140's to 150's. That's about all the aerodynamics those cars could handle without attempting "Take-OFF". Same with the "conventional" SC car. The new SC car is aerodynamically capable of much greater speeds with much greater stability. There not as beautiful to look at, but their what is needed to get that type of front-engine, conventional driveline car back on the super speedways. THAT'S what I want to see. I want to see 33 of them run at Indy in the near future, so they can get back to what made the place FAMOUS in the first place! :)

Of course there's a huge difference between the SC and your Thunder Roadster, but there ARE some similarities in appearence. That's why I posted the pics.

Those Indy roadsters in the sixties turned speeds in the 140's to 150's. That's about all the aerodynamics those cars could handle without attempting "Take-OFF". Same with the "conventional" SC car. The new SC car is aerodynamically capable of much greater speeds with much greater stability. There not as beautiful to look at, but their what is needed to get that type of front-engine, conventional driveline car back on the super speedways. THAT'S what I want to see. I want to see 33 of them run at Indy in the near future, so they can get back to what made the place FAMOUS in the first place! :)

With an attitude like that, I can show you a site where you can get into lots of fights. :)

Me? Yes, I have the same attitude and spend a lot of time with a cyber steak on my eyes.

Lucky, IMS just anounced a couple of weeks ago the US F-1 Grand Prix was not returning to the SPEEDWAY in the forseeable future. That leaves them with only two big events at the speedway each year, and a BIG hole in their schedule. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I would love to see a USAC race there and return those type cars to their former glory. Remember, USAC was once much, much bigger than NASCAR even is today!

Those drivers were even MORE well known among the general public than todays NASCAR drivers are. Ever heard of Foyt, Jones, Andretti, Unser, Rutherford, Ward, Vuckovich, Bentenhausen ..........(the list goes on and on.)? Of course you have!................... and they haven't run in YEARS! They really were household names.

Uhm, was it something I said? :huh: Or was that directed at someone else?

Anyway, appreciate the interest everyone. Hopefully we can continue to grow the class. I feel like we're capable of putting on a pretty good show for all to see when the numbers are there. I feel 15 - 18 of us can put on a great show on a 3/8 mile track. There's usually good tight and clean racing throughout the group. Many are novice drivers and are into it for the same reason we all had when we started: a love for racing.

Next time you're at HMP, stop by my pit spot (Suburban pulling a bright red 16' V-nose). I love to swap racing tales and talk set-ups with any one.

Most inexpensive racing I've ever been involved in. Tires last a long time (maybe 10 or 12 races, maybe longer as I'm still evaluating the ones I have), you could/can run pump gas and still be competitive; many parts come off a Toyota; simple to work on, light weight, etc.

Budman, the current engine is the same as in the legends: a sealed air-cooled 4-cyl 4-stroke Yamaha. But they just introduced this year a water-cooled version. After this season is over, I am converting to the water-cooled.

The car has a 3-link with coilovers, and is easy to adjust camber/caster/bump steer, rack-n-pinion steering. Everyone has to run the same wheels, shocks, motors, and carbs. All you can really adjust is ride height, springs rates, weight placement (within percentages rules), carb jetting, plug type, set-up, etc. We feel this puts a lot of the racing back in the driver/set up guy's hands.

Our lap times at HMP are mid 15's (record so far is a 15.1). Usually 15.4 to 15.7. (compare this to Mods running 15.2 to 15.7. So we're real close to their speeds at a fraction of the cost.)

Come on out and check out the racing one time. We've got about 14 or 15 cars in the Houston area and we're trying to build the class. Last race, only 4 showed up for some reason. Race before, we had 12. I know they also run them at TMS (the ¼ mile that uses part of the front stretch and pit row).

And here. Let me hang a carrot: PM me and we'll work out a deal so you could get in a few laps at HMP.

(And I think it was 1963. Check out some pics of the 1963 cars of Foyt and Parnelli Jones.)

CC57

Would it be ok with you if I shared your thoughts with some folks on another site? I think they would love to hear what you have to say about the Thunder Roadsters.

Would it be ok with you if I shared your thoughts with some folks on another site? I think they would love to hear what you have to say about the Thunder Roadsters. [/b]

But of course. Thanks for asking.

And feel free to get back with me if you would like me to foray over to the other site and address any questions, tell them about the cars, the sanctioning body for the cars, etc.

I stated above I'd get the e-mail address for TMS. It is as follows .............

Go To: Texasmotorspeedway.com

At the lower Left of the home page: click on "Contact Info"

Near the bottom Fill in your info and Comments, then ....

Click on "Submit"

I stated above I'd get the e-mail address for TMS. It is as follows .............

Go To: Texasmotorspeedway.com

At the lower Left of the home page: click on "Contact Info"

Near the bottom Fill in your info and Comments, then ....

Click on "Submit"

I already got a reply back from TMS about this. Less than 24 hour response. Not a form letter response. That's the good news. But naturally they made no commitment except that they would consider it. That's ok, I didn't expect any more than that anyway. It'll take more that you and me to get more than that and that's only natural. But at least they are starting to hear from us.

Archived