Wish I could be racing!

Pappy_GT13

I'm still repairing the damage from this wreck. Wouldn't have been too bad, just right side damage to body,exhaust system, & 2 bent wheels with cut tires except the bumper went thru the wall & hit the support post. Instead of bouncing off the wall the car stopped in about a foot, bending the frame on the right side & shortening the wheel base by 1 1/2". The engine wound up leaning about 4-5" to the left bending the air cleaner against the hood scoop. Everything in front of the radiator is a total loss, The radiator is only slightly damaged but still usable & the cooling fan was shoved into the crank pulley. I've managed to straighten the left frame rail fairly well but the right side will have to be replaced from the firewall foward with square tubing. Not an easy job but I'm working on it. Spent over $600 so far on parts- now just need time between rain & work to get it done. BTW, any of you mustang guys that have done this repair I could use some suggestions. I'm using 2"x2" tubing unless some one knows of a better way. Oh, the price of the nosepiece has gone up to $125 + $40 shipping. Shipping charges on everything have gone way up so ask when you order to avoid surprises. Hope to get to the track tomorrow to at least watch the rest of you race. Just saw on channel 6 they plan to repair the wall, can't happen soon enough for me! Good luck to everyone & hope to see you all.

give lalo a call .or crt .. both have fixed bent frame on those a few times ..doing what your doing ..whats bad is you got luche'd and they were'nt even on the track with you .that hole was a luche jr hole .he cut that one out just for you ..so therefor .YOU GOT LUCHE'D .. after seeing this video ..not starting anything .but you came out on the short end ..its clear you were in there for enough ...but hey it s racen for the lead ..you know how blank happens ..get er done get er back ..

pappy as long as your sub frame is not bend .your front frame rails really dont suport much on those cars .its more of just a bumper suport .so just cut them off at the firewall. and run your square tubing . just use something a little thicker than like muffler tubing .cause youll have to welding your suports for your strut towers to it. its not a major job pappy, we would replace them before we even build the cars. cause if not first wreck. you have your replacing it cause they are so weak.

Well Pappy I dont know what to tell you about that other than you had your lane and a SQUIRREL saw a nut on the track and decided to go after it or soomethin. But it can be fix and yes will take some money and cash. Might just bee cheaper to find anther bobsy and but your carge and stuff in it.

Pappy,your film was intresting but not very clear.Mine ans Shawns tapes are very clear on what happened and your welcome to view them anytime.That pass low going into a turn is very diffulcult at best but 3 wide is almost impossible.Watch the lap before and you can see the 15 car takes the same line Watch Shawn and you see he chooses not to make the pass there but goes around high instead as do I.I accendtely spun out both EJ and Tim on different occasions at STS last year by trying the same move.I dont know how many times I spun out Carpender the same way.They give you an opening but when you go for it its gone and you cant stop.In your case your wheel hit a hole and pitched your car into the 15s tire.The only reason he did not hit the wall was because he hit the bug,then me.With more experience you will know when not to take an opening.Even now there are cars that will take you to the wall in the straight and run you into the dirt in the turn.When you have the faster car its your responsibility to figgure out how to make the pass safely.Sometimes you crash.Its a tough track to race fast on street tires but that makes you a better driver.4 good cars got tore up in that deal and its stupid to think anyone involved wanted this to happen.

On repairing your car I would suggest you make the frame strong up to the front of the crossmember but in front of the engine create a crush zone for a serious wreck like that.Like the Ford people are telling you you can cut off the nose and replace it easier than trying to fix a diamond frame due to the front being too strong.I hit the wall harder than that with the rabbit and did just that,cut off the damaged corner and replaced it.Its my back up chassis now.Comeon Pappy,I always thought you were a better racer than to spend the rest of your life pointing fingers.I hope Im not wrong. G.B.

Well I watch the video and first let me say this not to make anyone mad but so it dont look like I am taking sides. I really dont care for Pappy or Charley but that besides the point. from what i did see in the video and being there that night Pappy was clearly under Charley in which he should have been given room. To me it look like Charley turns into him causing his wheels to jerk and then the rest of it happens. Pappy I would under stand why your mad but hey it happens. You cant race 3 wide on that track and I dontwho say what. The only way is if all 3 of the cars are going slow and I meen slow like caution slow. But its no reason not to go back out race. If you dont wanna CC then bring it to STS we will be happy to have you race.

Appears to me that Pappy was way underneath him and the 15 should have seen him. The only mistake I see that Pappy made was getting to low on the track to try to avoid contact causing him to hit the hole and shoot up the track. I think if he would have just let his car come up and make door to door contact he would have missed the hole and completed a clean pass. JMO. Only the 2 drivers know if that would have worked.

hopefully you have to be 18 or over to watch that. The commentary is a little brutal.

GB, reread my post! I did NOT point my finger at anyone, unlike you & others in YOUR "Tuff night at the bullring" post. I simply posted a link to my video & people draw there own conclusions. If you have video then post it for all to see. It does not cost anything for you to start a You-Tube account. If a bonehead like me can do it surely you can. I speak for myself, the comments you hear on the video are not mine but my daughters & she is entitlled to her opinion. As far as when I should make a pass, no, I don't go in the grass like I've seen you do many times so that's the pot calling the kettle black. And I did not hit a hole in the track & bounce into Charley, I've run that line all year at faster speeds than that but my car won't turn when another car hits my front wheel & pins it.

I never said I wouldn't be back at CC but I didn't / don't have the extra time & money to make repairs & get right back out there, I also have to work on things other than my racecar.

STS, that's OK. You're not on my Christmas card list either. Not going to say never but I tried the dirt last year & it just wasn't as much fun as when I was younger.

Poorboy, you know I don't hesitate to take credit for my mistakes. Ratdaddy has a copy of every race this year, if you can - borrow it & watch where I've ran all year & see if you still think the same way. Until that night I had made NO contact with any car, door to door or otherwise. And maybe you can explain to STS that we raced three wide often on the Towel City retreads & made it work.

I,m not mad, just disappointed. But I will be back.

Archived