Wrecks at PAS

302cominthru

I put together a string of photos here. These were collected by myself and my brothers (Preston and Avery) over the years. Probably the best years of our lives were spent at these tracks.

The first photo is Harold Oatman in August of 1973 just after he hit the turn 4 wall at Pan Am. Notice that he has been knocked unconcious in the car.

post-4758-1186194282_thumb.jpg

The next two photos are Jerry Stanley at Pan Am (another Frank Ferris prepared vehicle). Unsure as to what Jerry ran into, but I'm guessing he didn't run that night considering the damage. Notice the blue and white Falcon in the infield; that's Buddy Woodall....

post-4758-1186194729_thumb.jpg

post-4758-1186194775_thumb.jpg

This one is Hubert Bean at Pan Am. Note the stock chassis and frame.....

post-4758-1186194995_thumb.jpg

This is another photo of Harold spinning out into the infield at Pan Am.....

post-4758-1186195177_thumb.jpg

These two photos are Jerry Spencer at Austin Paramount Speedway. The first photo is he and #67 Wayne Rutland getting together in 1 and 2 as Paul Horelka sneaks by on the outside. The second photo is Jerry's exhaust system (180 degree headers and exhuast) in shambles after getting roughed up by another competitor.....notice the #37 car in the background in turn 4, that's Ed Sigmund.

post-4758-1186195540_thumb.jpg

post-4758-1186195579_thumb.jpg

The next photo is Buddy Woodall getting the upper hand on Paul Horelka, which happens to benefit the crafty Waldo Harper at Paramount austin Speedway....

post-4758-1186195818_thumb.jpg

The next three are Bubba Storbeck. The first photo shows where he lost the right rear wheel at Pan Am. Notice to the right of the wheel well where it's states "Thanks to the Martin Family." That's my mom, dad, older brother and twin brother (Don, Susie, Preston and Avery respectively). We thought we were on top of the world back then. The next photo is where he got into an altercation at Pan Am and ended up in the infield - If I know Bubba, he probably ended up winning the feature that night. The third photo is Bubba "man-handling" his car out of 2 at Pan Am after the RF goes down. It looks like he's got his hands full. The last photo shows Snow Martinez spinning into the infield at Pan Am. I beleive this is the running of the Fiesta 150 Bubba eventually won that night. In the background is the #3 of Hubert Bean and the #22 of Fred Elbel Sr. Unsure who the #17 and #85 are - any help would be appreciated.

post-4758-1186196824_thumb.jpg

post-4758-1186196859_thumb.jpg

post-4758-1186196919_thumb.jpg

post-3-1186197509_thumb.jpg

302 - Thanks for posting this picture of Harold. I remember this night, out of all of Harold's various escapades it is the only time I was really worried.

I can identify with your comment about being on top of the world. This Harold pic is similar for me, and is the only one I have seen that is "special" in that way.

A couple of observations -

I see that Harold's battery was knocked loose in the accident,

Love the high-tech grease cap on the #30 - I wonder if it was safely secured?

On the long races it was customary to pit in the infield. I believe it was this race that Bubba's crew was equipped with an impact wrench operated by a compressed nitrogen bottle. He was the first I knew of to use that setup, quite an advantage for tire changes.

see86go the 17 was my grandpa woodall i will have to scan some of picture and put them on here.

302cominthru there is probaly alot of pics with grandpa woodall and grandpa Ferris' car together. they seemed to have some kind of atraction. it could be that grandpa woodall bought most of his cars from grandpa ferris. :D:D

Great photos! I believe the #17 is Buddy Woodall and the #85 is Jerry Dechert.

Right on Craig - thanks for the assist. My memory is not what it should be. Glad you all can dig these photos....

see86go the 17 was my grandpa woodall i will have to scan some of picture and put them on here.

302cominthru there is probaly alot of pics with grandpa woodall and grandpa Ferris' car together. they seemed to have some kind of atraction. it could be that grandpa woodall bought most of his cars from grandpa ferris. :D:D

Cool - it's great to see it was a family thing that you all could relate to. I'm sure Frank is beaming from ear to ear regarding your racing accomplishments.

302 - Thanks for posting this picture of Harold. I remember this night, out of all of Harold's various escapades it is the only time I was really worried.

I can identify with your comment about being on top of the world. This Harold pic is similar for me, and is the only one I have seen that is "special" in that way.

A couple of observations -

I see that Harold's battery was knocked loose in the accident,

Love the high-tech grease cap on the #30 - I wonder if it was safely secured?

On the long races it was customary to pit in the infield. I believe it was this race that Bubba's crew was equipped with an impact wrench operated by a compressed nitrogen bottle. He was the first I knew of to use that setup, quite an advantage for tire changes.

Great observation Bobby - that appears to be a "standard" 16 oz. Coca-Cola cup the 30 car is using for a grease cap. Great info about Bubba's pit crew and their tire changing techniques. Hey, I'd do it too to get a leg up on the competition!

• 7 months later...

In other discussions it has been speculated what years Ricci Ware owned Paramount Austin. In the picture of the #50 Harold Oatman crash above, you can see part of the Paramount Austin lettering on the van. I will corroborate that, as stated in that picture, the year was '73.

Archived