Bubba Storbeck at PAS

302cominthru

I'm not sure if you see it in the photo, but the one where Bubba is leaning on the front of the car smoking a cigarette, you can actually see the smoke exiting his nostrils; kind of like a bull ready to take on the matador. The second photo is just as unique. Notice how pristine that ride looks; it must have just come out of the paint booth. Notice the left front tire has been flat spotted from a smidgy too much brake. And look at that crowd in the stands....awesome.

post-4758-1185122727_thumb.jpg

post-4758-1185122746_thumb.jpg

Bubba generally kept his cars pretty clean, and was able to do so because he usually had a body shop as a sponsor. There is a pic on this forum of a battered Chevelle, but in my recollection that was unusual.

I've got more too....and yes, he generally kept her straight and clean.

Knew Bubba well, he use to go hunting at my place in Boerne, in fact I was the one who showed him how to hunt, I used to own half and crew chief on Harold Oatmans car # 50 novice and superstock, left him and went to Buddy Yantis # 2 camaro, Buddy was my best friend, enjoyed the old pictures, I go way back to Pan American speedway Austin hiway when it wa dirt and asphalt, my cousin from Austin raced there His name was Thurman Lovejoy, moved to Kansas City Missouri, His sons still race up there, Thurmans still kicking, Jud Lawson also raced at old pan american, he was living in Austin at that Time.

Stan,

Did you and Harold have the 57 chevy that was red and highway dept yellow ? I rememberit had

B eardslee

O atman

S peed

S pecial

painted on the side of it. I think dad was still crewing for fred Elbel Sr. back in those days. I need to go see aunt Janice and scan all the old pictures she has.

Don Jr.

Knew Bubba well, he use to go hunting at my place in Boerne, in fact I was the one who showed him how to hunt, I used to own half and crew chief on Harold Oatmans car # 50 novice and superstock, left him and went to Buddy Yantis # 2 camaro, Buddy was my best friend, enjoyed the old pictures, I go way back to Pan American speedway Austin hiway when it wa dirt and asphalt, my cousin from Austin raced there His name was Thurman Lovejoy, moved to Kansas City Missouri, His sons still race up there, Thurmans still kicking, Jud Lawson also raced at old pan american, he was living in Austin at that Time.

Stan - what did you guys hunt - quail or deer? Sounds like some good times either way. Here is one of my favorite photos of Bubba at PAS (Aug '72) comin' out of 2......

post-4758-1185631764_thumb.jpg

Here's another great photo of Bubba. If my memory serves me correctly, he had just won what was known as the "Fiesta 150" (a hundred and fifty lap feature race on a quarter mile oval. Man - those were the good 'ol days.

post-4758-1186021748_thumb.jpg

Stan - Then you know me, the kid that came up the street on his bicycle in the late '60's to work on the car. Isn't the internet great?

On another thread in here I made reference to what it was like to build a car before the days of tube benders. What I was specifically thinking about there was when you, Harold and Ken bent pipe using the fork of that big tree next to the driveway. I think it was probably a nerf bar, not a roll cage, as I only remember there being a piece or two. Do you remember that?

• 7 months later...
I'm not sure if you see it in the photo, but the one where Bubba is leaning on the front of the car smoking a cigarette, you can actually see the smoke exiting his nostrils; kind of like a bull ready to take on the matador. The second photo is just as unique. Notice how pristine that ride looks; it must have just come out of the paint booth. Notice the left front tire has been flat spotted from a smidgy too much brake. And look at that crowd in the stands....awesome.

post-4758-1185122746_thumb.jpg

You can see the Todd ford fans all in white on the front row....too cool.

Archived