EVAP SYSTEM LEAK

REBELRACER

can you use soapy water in a squirt bottle to find a leak in your evap system. with the truck running, can a guy use a squirt bottle to squirt the hose and find a leak in the system? the dealer said it will cost $95 to run a diagnostic test to determine the cause of the code. but advance checked the code for free and said it is a pin hole size leak in the evap system. would prefer to fix it myself rather then get shafted by the dealers.

i missed that one ..lol i get this every day at work and most poeple leave the gas cap loose and that will set the light off ..autozone ..i know guys will check the light free as well as others ..99 .99 percent of the time is someone left it loose ...if thats not the case .get a fuel cap from the dealler ..after market are not that good ..and make sure it stays clean around the locking area ..and the rubber seal is cleaned and not hard ......

i stopped and got gas on the way home. i made sure the cap was tight and the o-ring looked clean and didnt notice any cracks or gouges. will autozone or advance check the gas cap to see if it is faulty, or is that something that you need to take to the dealer to check. i tried putting the gas cap from the wifes car on it, but the light still stayed on. i am going to be off on thursday and friday, so i may go by the dealer and pick up a new gas cap. thanks again for the help.

no you they cant check it .. this happens all the time ..as for as the light ..it will not clear its self out ..once its on .you either unplug the battery cable for a few seconds .and that works for the most part .some hard codes will just have to have a obd 2 or so to clear it ..btw when you had the light checked .how many times did that same code come up in the test ..how long has the light been on ... if you go to autozone .you may get the person to clear it for you .and if it comes back on . then youll have to take it in somewhere .or relace the cap new .. .its hard to know what all your problem is on speed zone ..other than past exsperience ..and do check vacume lines to the canister ..one other thing the caps vent may be faulty ..

it came up once he plugged in the code reader. not sure how many times the code came up. he just said that it is giving a code for emission evap leak. i think it said something about < something, cant remember the number, maybe 40. he said it is most likely a pinhole size leak. it has been on since last thursday. i didnt drive it saturday or sunday. i will go disconnect the battery and see if it comes back on.

got a brand new company truck, Ford. 3000 miles and it went in for the check engine light. Emission problem the dealer said. Friend at a dealership in another large Texas city said its common, and the onle cure is a reset from the dealer which requires about 5 minutes worth of work. Since it was under warranty I really didnt care(I get paid even if Im sittin' at a dealer). The dealership can charge the manufacturer for service work under warranty. I was in and out in 35 minutes but the dealer charged fomoco 2.5 hours of labor. Sound kinda fishy to me.

i disconnected the battery for about 10 seconds and reconnected it, the light is off. i drove to work this morning and still no light. looks like it might have been the gas cap..........how long will it take for the light to come back on if in fact that it wasnt the gas cap? will it be a sudden thing, or does it usually take a day or so. thanks again

i disconnected the battery for about 10 seconds and reconnected it, the light is off. i drove to work this morning and still no light. looks like it might have been the gas cap..........how long will it take for the light to come back on if in fact that it wasnt the gas cap? will it be a sudden thing, or does it usually take a day or so. thanks again

danny,

i can check the gas cap, just bring it by

sorry i didnt respond. after disconnecting the battery, it has yet to come back on. i drove to hamilton texas and back along with 3 days of work at 35 miles each way. looks like the gas cap was not on tight, or there was something on the neck where it didnt seal properly. took it by charles shop, he tested the gascap and it tested fine. thanks again charles for looking at it for me. thanks to everyone who helped me not only correct the problem, but also save a ton of money by not taking it to the dealer. thanks again. everyone be good and have fun racing this season

danny

Archived