Corpus Christi Grand Prix

Jason

What usually happens is that street races are hellaciously expensive to do, which probably has something to do with why they are plainning on using a second-tier Mexican series; they won't have to pay IRL or Champ Car or even American Le Mans money to get them there.

Bruce Mabrito was one of the original organizers of the SAGP. I worked with them thru the SCCA for all the SAGP's. It boiled down to the city of SA loading down the event with fire & police at double time pay that finally broke the back. SAGP had up to 3X the # of police & fire personnel than any other event on the circuit. Attendance was good, but every year the city loaded more burden on the organizers.(sound familiar?) Hotels and restraunts made a killing as did the city.We had Labor Day for the event ( a great weekend to host it) Workers were all volunteers, but the organizers lost money in the end.

I can promise you that our City Council will not let this happen. They continuosly ruin every good thing that try's to come to Corpus. I hope the GP happens but I have lived here to long to be real optimistic about it.

I can promise you that our City Council will not let this happen. They continuosly ruin every good thing that try's to come to Corpus. I hope the GP happens but I have lived here to long to be real optimistic about it.

waite a second ..bruce .. you know thats only partly true .. :D if its not boat shows and boat races . bayfest and lets not forget ..windsurfing . then they wont let it happen, auto racen is the last thing they would let us have ...heck when i put in our paper in 1996 that the city should give terry labonty the key to the city after winning the winston and keeping his home name as cc tex ..not one person from the city came out to what is now sts and give him an award ... but robstown if im correct gave him the keys to the jail .if he ever needed it ...well atliest some one came out ......

Archived