Rocky Point Speedway

Nathan

Nathan,

I actually interviewed with the owner for the Assistant Promoter job, back in 94 or 95 ish. He took me out to the track, when all that had been done was the track rough graded in. No bleachers, no nothing, just a circle in the dirt.

I declined the job offer, as it didn't fit into my plans at the time. I am trying to remember the name of the owner, but my brian isn't cooperating.

racevw112,

Where did you get your information about it running. I have never found any, I think they tried to run, but never did, as far as I know. Not saying your wrong, just wondering where you got that info.

I have talked to a bunch of racers in the Central Texas area, and none that I have talked to have raced there, or know anyone who has.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Well, not sure where I got that information now. Several years ago I got into researching old Race Tracks in the state.

I thought I got the information from "Amreica's Speedways Past and Present", but he does not have anything listed for Copperas Cove in the book.

Some how I must have found the information searching through the internet. I never have completed what I started. We got back into racing and have not had the time to continue. I put everything I have in a folder, so I can pick it back up again sometime.

If you have any information on old tracks, I would love to hear about them.

• 2 years later...
Does anyone have any info on this track? I found it on whowon.com and have heard a little about this track. it is Copperas Cove

satellite shot of track from google.com

Rocky Point Speedway was more of a dream than a reality. Roger Vierse worked on the track for a few years, and was planning on running Friday nights. He really didn't have enough property, and I assume he ran out of money. The site of the track is where F.M. 116 S and F.M. 580 meet just south of Pidcoke, on the way to Copperas Cove. It was bulldozed several years ago. There were never any races run, though I know they did hot lap some cars a few times.

Roger is Dave Meadows' father-in-law, and Bradley Sims' grandfather. Meadows and Sims have both been successful drivers at Centex/Texas thunder Speedway.

TexPete,

I was in Iraq with a guy from the Ft. Hood area, and he said they ran some go cart races there. They were sanctioned races, not just a bunch of kids having fun.

But, I have never heard of a full sized car race on that track ever.

I went out there probably 4 or 5 years ago, and the track and some buildings were still there. Haven't been out that way since I moved up here though.

And about not enough land, that is what I thought when I went up there to interview with Roger. The track was only rough cut in, but I couldn't see how you could get cars into the pits, let alone spectators. He told me he wanted to run Saturday nights, UMP sanctioned.

Like I said, I declined the Assistant Promoter offer. It was nothing against Roger, thought he was a heck of a guy. I just didn't see how it was going to work, and didn't think I could have brought anything to the table to make it work.

Stay safe,

Bill "Sarge" Masom

They may have run some go-kart races there. I never really heard about that, but I don't doubt it. I know Roger wanted Allan Essenburg to hot lap out there for a while, but it never materialized.

Roger is a nice man. He used to own an auto parts store in Copperas Cove, but moved it out to the track when he started construction. Needless to say, a parts store 10 miles from nowhere doesn't do a lot of business.

I'm not sure if the land got foreclosed on or if he just sold it, but someone else owns it, and little remains of the brief history of Rocky Point Speedway.

Archived