Meyer Speedway Pics 3

Trotter1t

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Tracy Trotter, Meyer Speedway, 1/2 mile paved, Houston, TX, NASCAR Late Model Sportsman Series, 1970. Tracy was born in 1940 & died in 2002. Started racing in 1962 & drove thru 1970, & then worked as a race official/tech inspector at historic Meyer Speedway in Houston and later at Battleground Speedway in Highlands, TX. During the 60s, Tracy raced mostly at Meyer Speedway, but also Cleveland (TX) Speedway, 1/4 mile dirt, Almeda (Houston, TX) Speedway, 5/8 mile dirt, and also a couple of races each at Pan American Speedway in San Antonio, 1/4 mile paved, and CC Speedway in Corpus Christi, 1/4 mile paved. After not racing for 13 years, Tracy resumed racing at Battleground Speedway, 3/8 mile dirt, in 1984 driving a Bomber for fun. In 1985, a Super Stock was built for him and he competed successfully at Battleground Speedway and then converted the car to asphalt and finished the season running very competively at San Antonio Speedway, 1/2 mile paved. In 1986, the car owner backed away financially and Tracy again quit driving but worked occasionally as an official at Battleground Speedway and remained an avid race fan until his dehabilitating illness in 1999.

The 60 car looks like Larry Wilson's old car.

It is Jim. Pictured is Tommy Smith, aka T TommyTucker, on the left, driver Tracy Trotter, center, and a very hard working crewmember, James Randle, right. Larry Wilson must have had the camera. This is early 1965, and the car is in a very experimental stage with a PowerGlide auto trans, jacked up rear end, and air pressure controlled right front spring. Needless to say, the experiment did not work, but was tried for several weeks. After going to a "conventional" setup and removing the a/t and RF air ride, the car was very competive the last 3 weeks Tracy was the driver. Finished 4th, 2nd, & 2nd in those features starting near the rear in 30+ car fields. The next to last week Tracy was in the 60 car, it was Munson Stodder 1st, Tracy Trotter 2nd, and Butch McQueen 3rd. The last time in the 60 car, Tracy was 2nd behind Butch McQueen with Munson Stodder 3rd. Due to strong personalities and circumstances regarding a July 4th open competion stock car race just before the Liberty Bell 300, Tracy and Larry Wilson parted ways. There was another couple of cars being built with offers made to Tracy. One came through after the other one was aborted because the owner/builder was pressured by his boss at the time due to a conflick regarding the season championship. True story, I was there!

These pictures are of my dad, Tracy Trotter. I believe the dirt photos are either Alameda, Cleveland, or Navasota.

The top picture is Tracy Trotter seen on the left running to check on another driver/friend after a hard crash at Meyer Speedway, Houston TX, 1963. The 5 car, is Meyer Speedway 1970. The 14 car & 35 car, both Studebakers, are from Meyer Speedway 1964. Note, picture of 35 car is after a prior race/week flip in turn 1. The 60 & 94 cars are Meyer Speedway 1965. The 99 car is at Almeda Speedway, Houston Tx, in 1968. This was when Almeda was it's original 5/8 mile configuration. Cars 5, 14, 35, 60, 94, & 99 are being driven by Tracy Trotter. Also pictured at Almeda Speedway turn 4 is car 47 being driven by Len Coursey.

It is Jim. Pictured is Tommy Smith, aka T TommyTucker, on the left, driver Tracy Trotter, center, and a very hard working crewmember, James Randle, right. Larry Wilson must have had the camera. This is early 1965, and the car is in a very experimental stage with a PowerGlide auto trans, jacked up rear end, and air pressure controlled right front spring. Needless to say, the experiment did not work, but was tried for several weeks. After going to a "conventional" setup and removing the a/t and RF air ride, the car was very competive the last 3 weeks Tracy was the driver. Finished 4th, 2nd, & 2nd in those features starting near the rear in 30+ car fields. The next to last week Tracy was in the 60 car, it was Munson Stodder 1st, Tracy Trotter 2nd, and Butch McQueen 3rd. The last time in the 60 car, Tracy was 2nd behind Butch McQueen with Munson Stodder 3rd. Due to strong personalities and circumstances regarding a July 4th open competion stock car race just before the Liberty Bell 300, Tracy and Larry Wilson parted ways. There was another couple of cars being built with offers made to Tracy. One came through after the other one was aborted because the owner/builder was pressured by his boss at the time due to a conflick regarding the season championship. True story, I was there!

Yes that sounds right. I knew Larry and he built automatic transmissions for a living. I had a lot of fun racing with Tracy and Larry. Good to hear from you. I'll try to include a pic of our old car.

post-4772-1193025770_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The picture reminds me of the PACER lettering/sign, but I can't recall the meaning. The #95 Car was owned and driven by Butch McQueen, and the #94 Tracy Trotter driven car was owned by Robert Elmore, but both cars had shop/sponsorship connections. Both cars, I believe, were built by Robert Elmore, and after the '64 season, the #95 was bought by Butch McQueen. This picture is from '65, Meyer Spdwy/Houston.

Ok Larry, Let me pick your brain. Back in the first year of Bronco racing (1962? give or take), there were two Chevrolets at the track on warm up day. They were red as I remember with a white diamond painted painted on the doors. The numbers were in black. One was 95 and the other 94. They were both for sale that day. I cannot remember any of the names associated with those two cars. When I saw your post about the 94 & 95 here, I thought they might be related.

Not that I know of Jim. From what I remember, Robert Elmore built/owned/drove the #95 Bronco Stock Car in '64, but was eliminated from driving after '64 due to the 2 year driving experience limit, and sold ownership to Butch McQueen. He built the #94 in '65, possibly to promote his engine machine shop, but could no longer drive in the Bronco Class. I felt then, and still do, those Broncos were a little fast for beginners on a 1/2 mile spdwy. The 2 year rule was pro rated, so it was possible to drive for about 2 1/2 seasons, which was to me, fair, all things considered. From what I remember, the track record of 24:99 was set by Don Stodder in 9/'68, when he had 2 1/2 seasons experience. A very good car and driver combination, but that was fast for those heavy cars on fairly narrow tires.

• 4 years later...
Tracy Trotter, Meyer Speedway, 1/2 mile paved, Houston, TX, NASCAR Late Model Sportsman Series, 1970. Tracy was born in 1940 & died in 2002. Started racing in 1962 & drove thru 1970, & then worked as a race official/tech inspector at historic Meyer Speedway in Houston and later at Battleground Speedway in Highlands, TX. During the 60s, Tracy raced mostly at Meyer Speedway, but also Cleveland (TX) Speedway, 1/4 mile dirt, Almeda (Houston, TX) Speedway, 5/8 mile dirt, and also a couple of races each at Pan American Speedway in San Antonio, 1/4 mile paved, and CC Speedway in Corpus Christi, 1/4 mile paved. After not racing for 13 years, Tracy resumed racing at Battleground Speedway, 3/8 mile dirt, in 1984 driving a Bomber for fun. In 1985, a Super Stock was built for him and he competed successfully at Battleground Speedway and then converted the car to asphalt and finished the season running very competively at San Antonio Speedway, 1/2 mile paved. In 1986, the car owner backed away financially and Tracy again quit driving but worked occasionally as an official at Battleground Speedway and remained an avid race fan until his dehabilitating illness in 1999.

I remember that tricked out chevelle with that special carb adapter.

Archived