zoom

This will be my first season at San Antonio Speedway. I am hustling to get the car complete for the March 1 open practice. I am looking forward to a great time this year. I am running a 77 camaro in the sportsman class. The rules stat that I must have the stock floor pan to the back of the driver. The exhaust must exit the right side in front of the rear wheel. The car already sits low. Anyone have ideas on how to run the exhaust?

I am running schoenfell headers 3" collector. Do I run 3" pipe all the way. Can I cut a hole in the floor pan and exit the right door? I am of course on an extreemly tight budget.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know if this is right or not but I don't think they will let you do that becasue of the possibility of an exhaust leak in the drivers compartment... I would call Mike at SAS to find out for sure... I don't think they would allow that in alot of the different series inculding TPS... Maybe Nick can shed some light...

The Texas Pro Sedan rules allow the exhaust to run through the driver's compartment as long as the exhaust system is separated from the driver with substantial metal shielding and is located in the lowest possible position. TPS also recommends that the exhaust system be floating to help prevent stress fractures in the exhaust tubing.

I don't know what SAS requires for their new Sportsman Class.

Nick Holt

Yes, I am at work now and can't look at my trusty rule book. But I believe you are right. If I go through the floor pan and right side of passenger compartment, I will definetly seperate myself from it with ample sheetmetal. Do you think 3" exhaust pipe is too much? Not enough back pressure?

thanks

Zoom,

It's been a while since I looked at the SAS rules, but if you can run a balance pipe or Y pipe system, do it, or use both. I'd say stay away from the auger style mufflers. The dynomax bullet mufflers are a great value for a straight-thru type muffler. 3" pipe should work fine.

Chase

Archived