I37 Troubles

dano36

I really hate to see any race track shutting down for whatever reasons and what is happening with I37 right now is no exception. I have followed the online debates about what happened there and won't take sides based on what I only read. I am a race fan just watching this all unfold and it really bothers me that this could result in another racetrack closing down. I simply want to say, I love auto racing. I have been involved with the sport but mostly have been a fan since I was around 11 years old and I am now 71. I've experienced ups and downs in the sport over these years and because of fans, the sport has always survived. So what I propose is to use this forum to hear what the fans have to say about I37 Speedway. Now since there are already people bashing or taking sides on other forums on TXSZ, lets keep this one to positive comments or suggestions. I know this won't pay their bills but it could be a way to show them how many fans are interested in IH37 Speedway. :D

Since I37 now has a new owner, I believe this is a great time for us fans to step up to the plate and list a few of the improvements that we would love to see happen there. With Rick as the Racing Director I see the management of the race program becoming much more efficient and more driver friendly. And with Rick will come along much of the expertise that was used in promoting SAS. So fans, lets hear about what I37 needs from a fans perspective.

I don't think anyone will have to tell Rick what the track needs. He has the experience that is needed.

Obviously, it will take a while for any new owner to get things running the way they intend. I think a measure of patience will be needed by all of us as they take over. And just as obviously, Rick knows what he's doing, but he doesn't come equiped with a magic wand to make everything all better overnight...

Nick

Where does the "new owner" come from, have read the postings several times and the posting that Rick is the new promoter today is good, if it is the fact that the track has been sold and has "New Owner". Who are they and how committed are they to the drivers and fans?

I know we are no the only one wanting to know ;)

Since I37 now has a new owner...

With Rick as the Racing Director...

Is this some news that hasn't been officially published? Or did I miss something (quite possible!) ? By "new owner" do you mean the previous owners, who apparently took it back from Chico Cox? Just trying to get a clear picture here, since real-estate transactions do not occur overnight...

Now, back to the Dano's question...

From this fan's perspective:

The show needs to begin on time, and proceed quickly.

I understand IMCA requires heat races for it's classes, but I would guess the track has discretion over "local" classes. If less than 10 cars in a "local" class, run feature-only for that class to speed the show, save cars for the feature, and make the racing more exciting with the cars there are.

Black-flag anyone that spins twice, unassisted. Back-markers that continually bring out cautions really slow the show (and endanger everyone else). I know new (or visiting) drivers have a learning curve, but it gets ridiculous when the same driver or drivers continue to bring out yellows.

Concessions were pretty much okay, as far as choice, quality, & price. I haven't been lately - were tokens still being used? If so, that would be the one concession-related thing that should change - get rid of the use of tokens for concessions. It's aggravating to go back to the main gate and stand in line again to get tokens once we've figured out what we want. Why not pay at the concession stand, as done previously and as done at every other track I've been to?

Too many classes, not enough cars. This cannot easily be fixed in midseason, but five classes for the relatively low car count is a bit much. As far as I can tell (and I could be wrong), the Super Stock class is basically a Limited Late Model, which is the intermediate class at many other tracks. Pan Am was quite successful with two classes - perhaps I37 can go with two "local" classes in the future plus the two IMCA classes (racers will need the off-season to buy/sell/rework cars to fit into the different structure - that's why it would have to wait).

Just my opinions...

On edit: Several new posts have appeared while I was working on mine. Questions answered! Way to go Shelma - I'm looking forward to see how this works out.

My only visit to I37 was the last race. I didn't know what to think when I had to use the bathroom and it was a port a potty. I really didn't mind the port a potty, but geez, it needed lights and somewhere to wash your hands. How many people go to the bathroom and then go get something to eat? I know I won't be shaking hands with anyone at I37.

Archived