Old Pan American pics (1st set from other thread)

NickHolt

Nick,

Thanks for posting those great pics. They sure bring back memories - not of any of those cars in particular, but of watching the races with my dad as a kid, seeing silent race cars on open trailers on the way home, and remembering the action we'd seen earlier on those nights.

On edit: Correction - thanks to Nathan for posting in the original thread. I saw this thread before his original. Thanks to Nick for re-posting.

Funny, I just now realized that the lettering on the front fenders of cars 16 and 46 is the phone number of the sponsor. I'm old enought to have experienced it, but I bet some people on here thought "What kind of weird code is that"?

Funny, I just now realized that the lettering on the front fenders of cars 16 and 46 is the phone number of the sponsor. I'm old enought to have experienced it, but I bet some people on here thought "What kind of weird code is that"?

Growing up, we were in the "Pershing" exchange - I would overhear our mother give the phone number as "pershing x-xxxx). Our phone number began with 73, which matches PE on the rotary dial another thing many are too young to remember. :lol:

The 16 and 46 are interesting - I belive that is the same car. If you look closely, you can see the damage, visible rollcage tubes, and even the style of the 6 appear identical. It wouldn't tke much to convert 16 to 46 if needed. I bet there's a story there. Who can come up with it? Calling TxTom... Come in, TxTom...

It wouldn't tke much to convert 16 to 46 if needed. I bet there's a story there. Who can come up with it? Calling TxTom... Come in, TxTom...

While I find these pics very interesting, and I know and recognize some of the names and numbers, these are before my time in South Texas.

In a previous posting, Neil Upchurch placed these pictures as late 1970. I lived in Columbus, Mississippi during that year; another notch in my military brat upbringing. In summer 1971, my father was sent to Thailand, and we moved to southwest San Antonio. He returned in late 1972 to Randolph AFB, we moved cross town, and were now 5 miles from Pan Am. I heard classmates talking about the track, and I think I got to go to a couple shows in late 1972. It was 1973, when we moved out to Schertz that I got involved around in the racing here, through a guy I went to high school with, Bobby Caulfield.

And that is another story...............................

Archived