Texas driver makes successful ASA debut @ Illiana

Jeff Harrison Makes Successful Debut, Announces Plans

Pendleton, Ind. (September 26, 2003) Open wheel star Jeff Harrison made the transition to stock cars and the ASA Racing Series at Illiana Motor Speedway on September 20 in the CITGO/MDA 250 presented by Jani-King. The Grapevine, Texas, competitor secured his series debut with qualifying an impressive 12th of the 45

competitors that attempted to earn a position in the 34-car starting field. In the event, Harrison suffered mechanical problems that relegated him to 29th place finish.

"It's a lot different to run two laps compared to a full race of 250. You can drive around the problem for two laps, but you can?t for 250. We weren't ready for a full race. We struggled with the handling on the car all race long. It got looser and looser as the race progressed. I was pleased with what we accomplished in our first stock car race," said

Jeff Harrison.

With sponsorship backing from Adelphia, Center Pointe Communications, Motor Trend Magazine and Royal Purple, Harrison will make his second appearance in the series that builds champions at Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville on Sunday, October 19.

"We want to have a good result for the race. I had only been in the car twice before we competed at Illiana. We tested at Houston Motor Speedway and were within two tenths of a second of the pole time. Then in practice at Illiana, we?re a second off the pace. We had a qualifying lap, but we are looking to have a consistent car in the race."

Harrison will compete in the full 2004 schedule, competing for the prestigious $50,000 Rookie of the Year honors.

"Obviously our goal is to win the rookie championship next season and be competitive every race. The biggest adjustment for me will be getting used to the schedule on event weekends. I'm used to being at a track for week and at ASA events you are there for one or two days."

Harrison began his career in 1987 racing go-karts, scoring seven victories. He competed in that division though the 1996 season, winning several events. In 1997 and 1998, Harrison competed in the Formula Dodge series. He won four out of six races and set a new track record at Sebring. In 2000 though 2001, he raced in the US200 Pro

National Series, grabbing second place honors in the oval division in 2001.

For additional information on Jeff Harrison, visit www.jeffharrison.com.

The 2003 ASA Racing Series season finale is set for Sunday, October 19 at Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville, Tenn. The BFGoodrich Traction T/A Tires 300 presented by Greased Lightning Orange Blast and Jani-King takes the green flag at 3:00 p.m., (Local) and will be telecast live on SPEED Channel.

Archived