Results 6/15/07

rebelracewriter

Here are the recaps, I've got some quotes and other sponsors to add yet. Was anyone taking pix of winners??????

I-37 Speedway Re-opening, 6/15/07

By J M Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx.(June 15th, 2007) After a brief stint under another name, Pleasanton's I-37 Speedway re-opened it's gates under the original name with new Manager, Benny Campbell at the helm. Unfortunately the opening night didn't come off without a hitch when water truck failure looked to doom the night's action. Several drivers were concerned with safety issues of running on the track and opted to load up and leave, which of course, created issues in itself.

Thankfully the Poteet Fire Deptartment stepped in and used their truck to put down numerous loads of water on the track, delaying the start time. The track was dry, dusty and rough during the heats, but during intermission more water was applied and feature racing saw little dust and actually rubber laid down on the 1/4 mile track, just South of San Antonio. On the bright side, two drivers took their first ever track feature win.

Clegg Captures first ever I-37 Checkers

San Antonio area school teacher, Curt Clegg was in the right place at the right time capitolizing on Darin Leonards misfortune to go home with his inaugual I-37 Speedway trophy.

Polesitter, Randy Yount was first out of turn 2 take the lead in the 20 lap feature, but Darin Leonard quickly ducked inside Yount in turns 1-2 to take over the point on lap 2. Yount and Clegg then battled side by side for second, with Clegg getting the spot. In a battle for fifth, Bill Pittaway and Bob Lienweber scrapped it out until Lienweber did a half spin and lost ground.

Up front, Leonard was stretching out his lead over Clegg, while Lienweber recovered and caught up with Pittaway again. At halfway it was Leonard, Clegg, Yount, Pittaway and Lienweber. Leonard looked to have the win in the bag, but the luck starved Leonard was snake bit again on lap 15, when mechanical woes put him out. This handed the lead to Clegg, who had a big lead over Yount and the rest of the field. Clegg held steady the final laps to grab the win driving the GRT Chassis, sponsored by his wife Kristina, Swenson Race Products and powered by a Jeff's Performance engine.

IMCA Modified

1 35 Curt Clegg

2 66 Randy Yount

3 37 Bill Pittaway

4 12 Bob Lienweber

5 26 Darin Leonard

Leonard took the only heat win.

Van Blarcum blasts to SportMod win

Robstown's, Andy Van Blarcum was the second driver to find his way to the I-37 Speedway winners circle for the first time when he got the lead back from Johnny Torres after radiator failure on a restart sidelined Torres.

As green waved on the field, Allen Torres was first into turn 1 to get the lead, while brother Johnny, Van Blarcum and Bill Pittaway battled for second. Van Blarcum got around Pittaway on lap 1 to secure second and was quickly on A. Torres. The two ran side by side briefly with Van Blarcum getting the top spot on lap 2. J. Torres won the sibling rivalry getting past A. Torres for second on lap 3.

The top five then separated out, while Eric Madden, Mickey Helms and Jason Stanley scrambled for sixth. Helms won that battle getting the position on lap 8, with Madden taking a little side trip through the infield. At the crossed flags it was Van Blarcum, J. Torres, A. Torres, Pittaway and David Meredith in the top five, with the leaders cautching slower cars.

J. Torres used the traffic to his advantage as Van Blarcum got caught in the wrong lane. J. Torres took over the lead on lap12, while Van Blarcum lost ground trying to get by the lapped car. In the pack, Pittaway was mounting a challenge on A. Torres for third, while Helms was reeling in Meredith for fifth.

Bubba Myers brought the caution on lap when spun nearly collecting Pittaway, who got by with only slight contact. On the restart, J. Torres had the fan rupture the radiator laying fluid on the track and causing Van Blarcum and Pittaway to spin. Van Blarcum was put in the lead and got away clean on the next restart, with Helms taking third from Meredith.

In the closing laps, Van Blarcum was able to inch away from A. Torres and Helms. Madden and Myers had separate spins on lap 18, but both continued without a yellow. Van Blarcum took the white flag with comfortable margin and was able to grab his first ever win in the pink car, named "Lola." Van Balcum's Swenson Racing Chassis is sponsored by Bottom Line Service, Sonny's Barbacoa, Nolans Restuarant, Roman Shell, Power Wrap Thin Film Technologies.

IMCA SportMod

1 15 Andy Van Blarcum

2 166 Allen Torres

3 174 Mickey Helms

4 9 David Meredith

5 92 Jason Stanley

6 37 Bill Pittaway

7 16 Eric Madden

8 5m Bubba Myers

9 66 Johnny Torres

Heat Winners; Johnny Torres, David Meredith

Super Stock

The fifteen lap Super Stock feature got off to a rough start for Steve Reynolds when he tagged the front stretch wall coming to the green flag. On the next start, Richard Bartosh and David Boudreau stayed door to door through turns 1-2, with Bartosh finally getting the advatage to lead lap 1. Howie Marcx and Boudreau were side by side for second when Trey Votion suffered a flat and spun to bring out a yellow.

On the restart Marcx ducked under Bartosh and got by for the lead in turn 2. Boudreau and Patrick Kelly followed suit taking over second and third until Boudreau spun on the front stretch, but continued. This moved MK Wallace up to the third spot. The top three then ran nose to tail, and tried three wide on lap 6. Kelly took the high side of Marcx, while Wallace took the low road. Marcx and Wallace hooked bumpers allowing Kelly to snag the point before the two could unhook themselves.

Wallace survived the skimish and took second from Marcx, while Abraham Mares jr., who pitted during the first caution, worked his way back to fourth getting by Bartosh. Marcx would then stop on track during lap 8 with a flat. Under yellow Mares pitted again ending his night. Kelly got a good jump on the restart, with Gary Hunter now pressuring Bartosh for third.

Wallace made some progress trying to run Kelly down for the lead, while Hunter and Bartosh continued battling for third. Wallace's charge came up short as he was never able to mount a serious challenge on Kelly who grabbed the checkers in the Northside Ford, Turbo-Mach Powder Coating, Pat Kelly Automotive, Team Research of Seguin, Super Stock.

Super Stock

1 Patrick Kelly

2 48 MK Wallace

3 7 Richard Bortosh

4 14 Gary Hunter

5 29 David Boudreau

6 13 Howie Marcx

7 3 Abraham Mares jr

8 99 Trey Votion

9 Steve Reynolds

Heat winners; Patrick Kelly, Abraham Mares jr.

Street Stock

At the start of the 20 lap Street Stock feature, Shawn Moore got the lead in turns 1-2, but it was former San Antonio Speedway, asphalt track champion, Donny Horelka getting by on the back stretch to lead lap 1. Another former asphalt ace, Eric Knudtson moved into second on lap 1. Chris Clark, Charles Earnhardt and Barry Major got tangled on lap 2 in a "no fault" caution that saw all drivers get their spot back.

On the Restart Knudtson was just getting Horelka when Clark got into Earnhardt turning him around to bring out the yellow, sending Clark to the tail and giving Horelka the lead back. The restart would have three pavement drivers heading the field. Knudtson ducked low on Horelka and got by for the lead on the back stretch, while Justin Henley took third from Earnhardt. Henely's run ended a lap later when he broke a hub and lost the wheel. During caution, Horelka pulled off with overheating problems.

Once Back to green, Knudtson got a jump on Donald Lewis and Major, who were now fighting for second. 72 year yound, Joe Horne took fourth from Earnhardt on lap 6, while Major spun and kept going. At halfway the top three spaced by big gaps while Major and Earnhardt ran side by side for fourth. Major took the spot on lap 11, with Clark getting by Earnhardt for fifth a lap later.

Horne ran down Lewis on lap 17, but lost ground and third to Major after slapping the wall on lap 15. Knudtson caught lapped traffic with three to go but had a large enough lead to cautiously work his way through. At the checkers it was Knudtson in the Sunsationals Tans, Chevy Camaro taking the victory.

Street Stock

1 27 Eric Knudtson

2 51 Donald Lewis

3 33 Barry Major

4 67 Joe Horne

5 6 Charles Earnhardt

6 55 Chris Clark

7 8 Dustin Feathers

8 41 Donny Horelka

9 88 Justin Henley

10 18 Shawn Moore

Heat winners; Barry Major, Justin Henley, Donny Horelka

Pure Stock

Abraham Mares IV got the jump on the 12 car Pure Stock field at the start of the 20-lapper. Just as it looked like Mares would pull away he did a half spin in turn 2 handing the lead to Mikey Faulkner. Unfortunately for Faulkner, his hood flew up just as he got the lead. Mares was able to retake the top spot on lap 5, with Jimmy Schanen and Nathen Lorenz moving into second and third. Lorenz' top three run came to and end when his car made a right turn into the front stretch wall hard enough to bring out the red flag. Lorenz was able to get out under his own power and was uninjured.

On the restart, Mares got away cleanly from Schanen who would spin in turn 4. The next restart saw Mares pull away from Jason Kelly, who was now in second. As Mares began to creep away from Kelly, Trevor Hilla looped his ride on lap 8 to bring out a yellow and rebunch the field. Once back to green, Mares again got clear of the pack, while Schanen took third from Janel Hilla. Just after halfway, Schanen had run down Kelly for second.

Tom Williams moved into the top five and was pressuring J. Hilla for fourth with five to go. J. Hilla would spin to the infield, but be able to continue after smal circle in the infield. As the white waved, Mares had built nearly a full straightaway lead over Kelly, who still had Schanen on his tail. At the checkers it was the young Mares in the Sheppards Machine Shop, Mares Racing, Acme Brick, Grandma sponsored Chevy Nova taking the win.

Pure Stock

1 4 Abraham Mares IV

2 57 Jason Kelly

3 60 Jimmy Schanen

4 57w Tom Williams

5 63 Ben Reynolds

6 7x Janel Hilla

7 5 Jordan Leuck

8 3x Trevor Hilla

9 00 Mikey Faulkner

10 07 Nathen Lorenz

11 555 Sonny Jones

12 9 Russell Mentwitch

Heat Winners, Abraham Mares IV, Janel Hilla, Jimmy Schanen

Feature Winners

Pure Stock - 4 Abraham Mares IV - Poteet - Sponsors: Mares Racing, Shephard Machine Shop, Acme Brick, Thanks to Grandma

Street Stocks - 27 Eric Knudtson - Boerne - Sponsors: Sun Sational Pools and Spas

Super Stocks - 84 Patrick Kelly - Seguin - Sponsors: Northside Ford, Team Research of Seguin, Pat Kelly Automotive

Sport Mods - 15 Andy VanBlarcum - Robstown - Sponsors: Sonny's Barbacoa, Bottom Line Services, Nolan's Restaurant, Roman's Shell, Power Wrap/Thin Film Technologies, Swenson Racing Chassis

Modifieds - 35 Curt Clegg - San Antonio - Beautiful Wife Kristina, Swenson Racing Chassis

congrats to everyone

greg and candace are friends of ours and i'm sad to hear what happened. also to tracy and george it is a shame. :(:(:(

it will not be the same without them around

Just talked to Greg and Candace and they will not come back to this track again. I'm sad about that. They are good people, who have supported this track through the good times and bad. They shouldn't have been treated that way, in my opinion.

Hallas,

just to let you know you misspelled Mikey Faulkner's name. it is not Mickey

and in the pure stocks, it wasn't john kelly jr. it was jason kelly.

Thank you for correcting it Hallas.

Again congrats to all the winners last night.

and to Curt and Andy for their first wins of the season. Good job.

(lola had to work hard for that win)

so andy is a 1st place finish last night better than all of those 3rd place finishes?

WOW, WHAT A NIGHT. I REALLY HAD FUN RACING DIRT, IT WAS A TOTALY DIFFERENT BALL GAME FROM ASPHALT, LOTS OF FUN. AFTER BEING OUT OF RACING FOR 2 YEARS ALL I TOOK WAS LAST NIGHT TO GET THE ITCH AGAIN......... THANKS FOR EVERYBODYS INPUT AND ADVICE AND A VERY BIG THANKS TO GARFIELD SHANKLIN AND CRAIG CRAWLEY..........HOPE TO BE RACING AGAIN SOON

Way to go Andy! We are so happy for you--you deserve that 1st place win. Your hard work and effort is starting to pay off.

We Love you-especially your biggest fan :wub:

Andy would like to thank all of his sponsors for their support.

Sonny's Barbacoa-Corpus Christi

Bottom Line Services-George West

Hammerhead Construction-Corpus Christi-Thanks Carl Lee

Nolan's Restaurant-Calallen

Roman's Shell-Calallen

Power Wrap/Thin Film Technologies-Dallas

Cotten's Bar-B-Que-Robstown

J & C Services-Mathis

A really BIG thanks going out to Mom & Dad

Jimbo, too :lol:

Again congrats to all the winners last night.

and to Curt and Andy for their first wins of the season. Good job.

(lola had to work hard for that win)

so andy is a 1st place finish last night better than all of those 3rd place finishes?

The smile isn't gone from his face yet :):):):)

Thanks Cassie, you ever find out who was in Wallace's car?

Guess I need about 50 proofreaders to catch all the misspelled names. LMAO Sorry folks, I do my best.

Full story w/quotes now on front news page. No photos, huh?????

It was good to see you again Hallas.

In the heat race it may have been Ron Gisher out of wisconsin i believe. I will have to call Wally to find out for sure. I do know for sure it was Wally in the feature.

And there are no photos this week, cause Jamie took this week off to send time with his family. He will be here next time, hopefully. I'll call him to make sure.

...when Trey Votion suffered a flat and spun to bring out a yellow...

Thats one way to put it. #13 Howie Marx "suffered" a flat tire in the same way, from the same car... Hmmm... :angry::angry::angry:

Just wanted to mention something I havent seen anyone else say yet. THE PAYOUTS WERE THE SAME!!!

Yes the track was in bad shape, if they can fix that and keep pay up, 'lil PR work(ok a lot), we might have something.

For the record, I think anyone would agree , what happened with 8g was wrong. He has been a great supporter of our track, and I hope something is worked out. And I missed out on the azul's..Still wanting to try those...

heard payouts were the same... COOL!

Although trophy suffered minor injuries in Taco Cabana parking lot. No it wasnt our over zealous driver fault either... To bad we don't run radios. I'd been yelling at him to settle down! :D

congrats again to everyone...

Archived