Is I-37 Speedway not running tonight, 6/15/07?

NickHolt

I've received two phone calls from folks complaining that several race cars packed up and left I-37 before the races even got started (if they got started at all).

Anybody know what this is all about? Did I-37 rain out again?

Nick

Nick

Before they even began 'packing' the track ourselves and three other racers went to ask for our money back because the track was far from safe for these drivers to race. The track had been torn up and had dirt clauds the size of my hand and no water untill 7:30 and maybe one lap of it.with a water truck that had been broken for three months and was being towed with a tractor.

These guys tried to give it a chance but thought we would just call it a day and go home.

Upon asking for our money back we were informed that if we did so we would be banned and not allowed back at the track. The promoter himself told them.

We try support this track under anyname and gave it a chance but in the high class manor they have showed us these drivers are not priority number one.

Needless to say we are on interstate ten and not a dirt track as well as a few other drivers. It is a shame. Even the guy conducting the drivers meeting said they should pack up and go home.

it would not have been so bad but the attitude toward every driver entering the gate was far from pleasant.

We hope the drivers who do race are safe.

Greg and Candace Dinsmore

8G modified

there will be lots of editing on this forum so get ready nick you'll be busy, i know greg and candace very well and have raced alot with these good people, several people talked about packing up and leaving. the track could have easily said " hey were not ready guys sorry we'll give ya your money at the gate and we hope everyone gives us a chance to make it right and comes back " but instead they treated one of the most dedicated families to this track and sport with total disrespect and i was standing right there when it went down ...greg did get his money back but the way they treated him and his family was totally un-called for,we contemplated staying or packing up and against my better judgement we stayed ended up doing exactly what i told greg i did'nt want to do and threw the driveshaft out of the car while leading the heat and just tore up a car for no reason.. my bad my problem! but i will not sacrifice my safety or anyone else's again. my crew had the parts to fix the car and i loaded it up and left without any money back so i guess i should of left when greg did atleast i'd have a little change in my pocket and a drive shaft in my car!!

Greg, I too decieded not to race under the track conditions, got my money back and the lady whom I was told was Bennys wife, she had just gottn there, she refunded my money and I asked if I was banned also, she said very nicely thst if I wanted to come back I was welcome and the track would be mch better, and all was ok,I fthey would keep Benny out of the pr then all would be ok. I thank Benny for giving us a place to race but if your not real peoples person then your going about this all wrong, what about the drivers and fans.I thank Benny for steppng up for us dirt guys giving us a place to race but the actions of Benny will defenatly hurt a track triyng to survive.( and old guy this was typed way after too many big ol beers)

I towed 125 miles ONE WAY to race there. We were told at the driver's meeting that they would try to start the show on time. This was obviously impossible and nobody in their right mind could have believed it. A half hour after the program was supposed to start they were still watering the track. The ONLY thing that saved the day was that the fire engine crew volunteered to water the track with their fire truck -- an offer which I am told was, at first, refused! They got enough water on it to keep the dust somewhat under control but the track was extremely rough. After a late start there was a very long intermission.

I would like to say that when I mentioned how dubious i was about staying Benny Campbell was sympathetic and offered my money back if the track was not satisfactory to me.

I stayed, my car survived, I got second in the feature, I am not sure if my kidneys will ever be the same!

Kudos to the fire department, kudos to Benny for making the best of a bad situation.

I probably should not say much about any others involved in producing the evening.

Permanently banning somebody who towed all the way from Kerreville in false hope of a reasonable racing surface is just about as wrong as it gets.

I think the bottom line is that a racer's side of the bargain is to bring the car that they maintain and tow at great expense on time and conduct themselves with good sportsmanship to fans and racers. That's plenty! The racer should not be expected to forgive bad track prep, late starts and needlessly long intermissions any more than track officials should be expected to help the racer fix his or her car.

Don in Austin

all im gonna say is that the track was terrible and the roughest that ive ever experienced it. but at the end of the night and my wreck into the wall under the flagman i can say that i had fun. cuz 2 me thats all racin is about.

My take....for what it's worth......I spoke with Candace, Tracy(Fink) and Benny about the incident. Somewhere after the track was bad.......the stories vary. I wasn't there so I'm not gonna go into a who said what as factual. There were a couple other drivers that left, Mike being one of them, not sure if anyone else was barred for wanting a refund.

Track prep......needs to start on Wednesday at the latest and the broken water truck deal could have been taken care of. The Poteet Fire Dept. did all they could to make it raceable. It was rough and dusty in heats, but after more water at intermission, it surprisingly took rubber from turn 2 through turn 3 and very little dust. There were some soft spots high and rough spots low, but I've seen worse.

Hey Nathan, good attitude, did something break? Looked like your car did a "right turn Clyde."

We were there for our first time, it was not a good experience. Going out there to maybe sponsor races or drivers. I felt bad for all the drivers, having to tow their vehicles as far or as close as they did. to come to a race... the ones who stayed gave it their all, and for the ones who left, saved their cars...

Jay it was nice finally meeting you.....

Shelma

That track has potential if managed right. The fans and drivers are faithful. Current management does not seem to be concered as much for the safety of the drivers and their cars as they are what they take in at the gate. Heard several cars had problems caused by the poor condition of the track. Why was the track in such bad shape? Where was Gary?? heard he was coming in from Corpus just to make the track look good for his son and he other drivers had a good surface to race?

Drivers have good memories, and making them mad will not keep them coming back. I know it's not cheap to drive down only to go home....... :angry:

That track has potential if managed right. The fans and drivers are faithful.

Drivers have good memories, and making them mad will not keep them coming back. I know it's not cheap to drive down only to go home....... :angry:

I very much agree with this sentiment. I am a fan, and I love the facility. But I believe the value of the place as a predictable place to build a car for, or to travel to as a fan, is being rapidly eroded by the extremely erratic management which has existed there since Frank left.

Obviously the weather has been a huge obstacle for the track recently. But that also means that the place should be ready to go when the weather is clear. But it is always something - owner won't race on Friday the 13 (where was the announcement on that?, I'm sure glad I didn't come in from Houston that weekend!), water truck is broken, etc, etc, etc...... Customers can't count on it being open without a specific announcement to that effect, and even then you aren't sure.

And if I were a potential racer I darn sure wouldn't build a car on the expectation that this track would be available.

I hope there is a savior out there somewhere, someone with some money, racing sense, business sense, customer sense and rudimentary people skills, but from here it doesn't seem likely. I hope I am wrong.

Well I'll be back in two weeks to race. The track wasn't that bad if given a chance. Not sure how it was unsafe for the drivers. Just needed rolled in and more water. Yes my car broke too. Was it because of the track. NO. Mechanical failure, it happens (a lot to me). I broke a rear gear the week before and it apperantly did damage the transmission.

I've seen that track a lot rougher and dustier than that over the years. If the track closes then you have one less track to run and I want as many as possible. Look at SAS, there all traveling now. It was Bennie's first night, give it a chance. I never met the guy or know anything about him. I'm not defending him or the track just want all the options we can get for racing. And yes I drive up from the Corpus area to race.

Six cars started the Mod feature and he paid $400 to win. That should really say something.

Darin

On edit: Forgot to add Just my Opinion.

[as said in the drivers meeting the pay is going down and the pits are going up u do what u want what do i care sure doesnt sound like it was to safe and besides banned for not wanting to hang out and see what happens sorry thats pathetic not a real way to run a race track and darin it sounds like u were the only 1 happy with the track also that water truck was broke for 3 months come on i guess with the last minute ideal of hey lets race what ever u race it . until benny is gone i wont be back we have history as he has with many people so good luck to those who race it and i miss racing with them but thats racing greg d

[darin ur right about 1 thing he did pay and for only 5 cars counting u but i guess i will sit and watch whats next :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It is unfortunate what happened Friday nite, especially when it could have been avoided. Nobody needed to be banned, asking for your pit pass back because you feel the track is unsafe or to rough is a legitimate reason be refunded. This is not good for the track, I am hopeful that they rethink their decesion and allow all that where banned, back! I decided to stay and once things got underway the show went fairly well. It was good to see that the track paid the full purse. Hopefully the track can take this as a learnig experiance and do nothing but get better. Good luck to all, Randy Yount

I don't really know if I am banned or not. I didn't ask for any money back, I didn't talk to Bennie, his Daughter, his wife or any body at all. I didn't get any money back and was told second hand that I was barred. When we were told to leave there was no hint of water being put on the plowed field so I didn't think there was any possibilty of racing. There was a group of drivers standing close by our trailer discussing whether to pack up and leave or not. I don't intend to tear up a car because someone else is uncaring. I guess my problem is that I am a friend of Greg Dinsmore.

Archived