Five Flags Speedway Website

racedude

I started reading the fiveflagsspeedway.com website under Snowball Derby past drivers that site is so cool if you want to learn something click on and just look at the list of drivers and some of their stats - it is all in alphab. order - Drivers like Freddie Query have 10 starts with the best finish = top 3 Mike Garvey 3 starts best being 6th - So far as Texas Drivers that I am familar with looks like kuddo's go to Chris Davidson and Casey Smith

Chris has 5 starts best finish 4th and Casey has 3 starts best finish 3rd - maybe Tom will get on here and bring me up to date with more history of past Texas Drivers that have ran. Very informative and educational

All I have ever heard is that there are no racers in Texas, there is no question the Snowball Derby is the Big Daddy of them all when it comes to Super Late Model Racing. I think TX Tom needs to go thru the list of drivers and post on here who all from TEXAS has ran and their stats - I just remembered another driver Freddie Fryar - It would be awesome to post the list for outsiders who visit this website to see that indeed Texas does have talent. JMO

Wayne Niedecken was a Texas driver, up until he moved to Pcola. I used to watch him every Friday night in Austin, then he would run Saturday nights in Abilene.

I used to watch him run dirt in Dallas Fort Worth too. I don't know if his son Jr. ever raced in Texas, but he obviously lived here.

This is what I found, just off the top of my head.

Driver Starts top finish

Wayne N 8 1

Jr. Neidecken 27 2

J. D. Hughes 6 15

John Foster 1 18

Chet Filip 1 12

H.B. Bailey 2 24

B. Labonte 1 36

T. Labonte 1 35

Larry Schild 2 22

Slick Yeomans 1 24

And I am sure there are more I do not know

Wayne N 8 1

Jr. Neidecken 27 2

J. D. Hughes 6 15

John Foster 1 18

Chet Filip 1 12

H.B. Bailey 2 24

B. Labonte 1 36

T. Labonte 1 35

Larry Schild 2 22

Slick Yeomans 1 24

Tommy Grimes 3 19

Bubba Nauman 3 15

Greg Davidson 7 14

Chris Davidson 5 4

Freddie Fryer 20 1 (2 Times)

Hubert Bean 1 32

Jason Young 1 20

T. Wade Welsh 3 14

Casey Smith 3 3

I agree Lucky - I had not even seen the new website until I read this post - and was reading thru the names I guess I was just unaware of some of the names on their history books - like Mark Martin best finish 4th - Very impressive website and history, and another thing about this race I think it is just exciting for the fans as the drivers unfortunetly I was a spectator this past year and watched because I flew over it was exciting for me to watch (of course I wished I was watching Casey) but enjoyed the race and especially this year when it wasn't a tire game down at the end - because what the last 50 laps were green flag. I have read some of your post and it is apparant that you have been around the business for quit sometime and know your stuff so I am sure you have been there to see, touch and feel the excitement.

Kathy Smith

Actually, the SD is still on my wish list. Years ago, I was working late at a parts store and a friend/customer came in and was asking me about the local races. Things like what kind of cars they ran etc. I was reading the latest SCR mag and opened it up to a page on the SD and told him, they run cars like these. When I looked closer, I said, no they run cars EXACTLY like this one. It was a pic of J.D.Hughes, our local hot shoe at the SD. J.D. never won the derby, but he did win the Copper World Classic once. That's another great race, run in the winter time so lots of top dogs show up there.

I've heard that crap forever, and that's just what it is. What the devil does geography have to do with it? A good driver is a good driver regardless of where he/she was born, lives, or races.

Well Budman the only thing I can guess is it goes back to the ole saying "if you are King of the Mountain but noone else is on that mountain who are you really" We just don't have alot of Texas racers that leave the state to get their name out there right now and we sure don't have any SLM racing in our state - so there you go.

The drivers I can think of from Texas to run the Derby go something like this:

Hubert Bean, San Antonio,

Chris and Greg Davidson, Houston

Chet Fillip, San Angelo

John Foster, Odessa

Freddy Fryar (is from Tennessee, but lived in Beaumont when he won in '79 and '81)

Tommy Grimes, San Antonio

J.D. Hughes, Sundown

Bobby and Terry Labonte, Corpus Christi

Terry Mason JR, Lives in Alabama, but is from San Antonio. Tator Mason is his cousin.

Bubba Naumann, Austin

Junior and Wayne Niedecken, Originally from Abilene, but lived in Pensacola in their Derby years.

Ricky Otts, Houston

John Rezek, Alvin

Larry Schild, Houston. Brother Jerry has run the Modified portion of the Snowball.

Casey Smith, Austin

T. W. Welch, Houston

Slick Yoemans, Corpus Christi

Jason Young, Houston

There are several more that attempted to make the big show, but did not qualify. I remember about 5 names right now, but there are probably more.

Archived