NASCAR stops racing back to yellow

rebelracewriter

NASCAR bans racing back to caution flag

Rule changes go into effect this weekend

From Press Release September 18, 2003

3:01 PM EDT (1901 GMT)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Rule procedure revisions that eliminate racing back to the yellow (caution) flag and modify pit road entry for the NASCAR Winston Cup Series, NASCAR Busch Series and NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series will go into effect beginning this weekend, NASCAR officials announced Thursday.

The revisions will be in place for the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and NASCAR Busch Series races at Dover International Speedway and for the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series event at California Speedway, all of which are being held this weekend.

"We have monitored and continually discussed internally the situation regarding racing back to the yellow throughout the season, and have reached the conclusion that it is time for us to take this step," NASCAR President Mike Helton said.

"We will eliminate the practice completely and no longer depend on the gentlemen's agreement by the drivers in an effort to further ensure the safety of the competitors."

The new rule will not permit any passing once the caution flag is displayed. Other aspects of this procedure revision as well as the pit road entry modifications will be outlined to the NASCAR Winston Cup and NASCAR Busch Series competitors at a combined meeting scheduled for 10:30 a.m. ET Saturday in the garage area at Dover International Speedway.

The Craftsman Truck Series will have the revisions outlined in their scheduled driver/crew chief meeting scheduled for 10:45 a.m. PT Saturday.

NASCAR officials' decisions regarding these new procedures will not be subject to review or appeal.

"We needed to find a better way to do it rather than racing back to the yellow, and the new procedures we are putting in place are the first step in the process," Helton said. "We will monitor and evaluate the new procedures and fine-tune them if needed as we move forward."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

While I'll be the first to agree that it can be dangerous, I think it will totally change the complexion of NASCAR racing.

So lets hear your thoughts.

I think it will be good for the sport, mainly for the safety. For example Dale Jarrets accident, That could have been bad. Also with Nascars medical response team(?or the tracks response team?), dale could have been there for a while. I think that Nascar should talk to the IRL about some of theyre safety procedures. Nascar does a hell of a job dont get me wrong. But they have a ways to go to catch up with IRL's safety procedues. Now on the racing part, it might not be to exciting at times but first things first and in all of auto racing that is safety.

Another thing, does anyone know...if there were to be a wreck with just a couple of laps to go, would the race end under yellow or would they do a green,white ,checkerd kind of thing to finish the race?

I agree with what the others have said - going a lap down will no longer be the same. So many times we've all seen good drivers/cars come back and win from going a lap down. It will be much more difficult now, and the fight to remain on the lead lap should be very interesting. It seems to me like racing back to the green has been relatively safe most of the time. The problem arises when someone's car is a sitting duck near the S/F line like the 88 was this weekend. Unfortunately, there's probably no way to reach a compromise between when it's safe to do and not so safe...

So how will they score it now? Will they determine the restart lineup from the previous green flag lap?

cs

Archived