Hobby Stock & Road Runner

SSCHUCK

These two classes combined would make for a great show.

Why has this not been done yet?

With weight penalties or breaks this would be a great class!

Both classes need car count,this should be an easy decision

come on be proactive not reactive.

I copied my thoughts on this topic from another thread:

I'm not sure if the Roadrunners are close to being "shown the door" so to speak, but I sure hope the track reconsiders the idea of combining the two classes before they would shut either of them down. The HS class is hurting for cars anyway at the current time. What a better way to nearly double the car count in that class? The RR cars have so far not been faster than the HS cars, so my hope would be that they could combine the two and consider letting the HS guys hull their cars out next year and maybe introduce certain models of 108" cars also with the same "stock" suspension rules we have now. The 108 cars and the 112" cars ran together well in SA, so I think it can happen here too.

What is the E.T. difference between these two?

I've only put the stopwatch on a few of the RR cars, but I have yet to find one faster than the best hobby stock. The lap times I remember were between 1/2 second and 1 second slower than the best hobby stocks. However, there have been many laps I did not time. I think bigfat said he turned some laps in his roadrunner than rivaled the best hobby stock times. Of course, you know how full of hot air he is..... :lol:

#50 Driver and crew,

Ouch

Chase,

The times Tator got on me were mid 17s. As for the hot air. You've got the badge sir.

:ph34r: NOT A MATTER OF BEING SCARED TO RUN WITH THE HOBBY CARS, JUST A FEW CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE, AND ALL CHANGES COST $$$. NOT SURE WHO WOULD BENEFIT OR NOT. WE JUST WANT TO RACE. WE RAN 112" WITH 108" AND IT WORKED OUT AT SAS, NOT SURE IF IT IS BECAUSE IT WAS 1/2 MILE OR WHAT, BUT WE HAD GOOD RACING AND ALOT OF FUN. BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT I WILL NOT START TO PUT STUFF BACK IN MY GUTTED RACE CAR, TO GO RACING. A RACE CAR IS SUPPOSED TO BE GUTTED OUT. EASIER TO TECH FOR GOODIES INSIDE THE COCKPIT!!! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! LENNY66 :ph34r:

Since SSCHUCK & landlord brought it up 1st :) ; as I've said countless times before, weight breaks one way or the other could even things out. If they're even needed. The RRs should get faster w/ more lap time and adjustments. I'd be willing to bet the lap times for both classes will be comparable in the next race or 2.

Here's something the track might think about doing: Grab a driver from the Super Stock class or TSRS if they are available. Let that driver make 5 laps or so in one of the winning roadrunner cars (83 and 12 I think) and record the lap times. Then allow that same driver to make 5 laps in one of the winning hobby stock cars (25 and 14) or maybe the 2 car. Record those laps and compare to the roadrunner times. Of course, you'd need to have the cooperation of these guys, but knowing most of them, I think they would agree to this test. By picking a non-biased driver, you have taken the driver out of the equation and done a better job of just comparing the equipment.

I just happen to know a pretty good Super Stock driver who I bet would be glad to conduct the tests. ;):D

Here's something the track might think about doing: Grab a driver from the Super Stock class or TSRS if they are available. Let that driver make 5 laps or so in one of the winning roadrunner cars (83 and 12 I think) and record the lap times. Then allow that same driver to make 5 laps in one of the winning hobby stock cars (25 and 14) or maybe the 2 car. Record those laps and compare to the roadrunner times. Of course, you'd need to have the cooperation of these guys, but knowing most of them, I think they would agree to this test. By picking a non-biased driver, you have taken the driver out of the equation and done a better job of just comparing the equipment.

I just happen to know a pretty good Super Stock driver who I bet would be glad to conduct the tests. ;):D

Why not use a former SAS Street Stock driver as well? That way nobody can yell "track favoritism!" if the results are basically the same.

Nick

Why not use a former SAS Street Stock driver as well? That way nobody can yell "track favoritism!" if the results are basically the same.

Nick

Works for me....whatever it takes to make the test as valid as possible.

There are rules already written, Octoberfast and the Stock Car Spectacular, although I have not been able to find the rules for the Stock Car Spectacular (THR). Anybody know where to find them?. It seemed to work for those two races. Why not start there and make minor adjustments along the way if needed. 20 plus cars on the track. We may tear up some equipment, but what a hell of a show we could put on! Also invite the Houston guys back, the more the better, just have them pull a plug wire or two off. Man they were fast!

What is the major differences in the two classes.I know one of the classes is hulled and that the wheelbase in one is longer than the other.Is there major H.P.differences?Is there a max left side % in either class?How about tire rules.Has anyone checked out P.A.S.S rules?I don't know if they run these type of classes but they have come up with a set of rules to run all kinds of Late Models together and they all have had their turn in the winners circle.It's gonna take cooperation from both classes and some tweeking even after you come up with a set of rules both classes can live with.

The major differences are: Roadrunners are hulled out a lot more, different intake manifold, 108" allowed in roadrunner but not hobby, camshaft rule in roadrunners. Total weight, left side weight, rear weight, tires are all the same.

Sounds like the RR class is little down on power.{the most costly problem}I know noone in that class wants to spend money in the middle of the season on intakes and cams,maybe just a little tweeking on the weight to the other class is the answere.The only ones who can "truthfully" answere that question is the guys that race those classes.The times are close enough that "if" both classes work together something can be done to combine the two without costing either class a boat load of money.I do agree with the other post that said after a few races when these guys get these RR dialed in,the gap will close.

I'm all for the two classes being put together and I would be willing to let my car be used for this test as well the majority of us R/R Guy's and Gal ( for you Mona) :D just want to race.Beats stairing at a car on jackstands.Easy way to find two drivers for a test would be both track champs in ether S/S or Late Model's and average the times.....

All this talk does nothing until you can get someone with a rep that the track would pick

to do a test until then it is fun to talk about and wish for but will not happen.If all the Hobby

and Roadrunner class pulled together it would have a better chance.

Archived