Houston Modified Racing @ Meyer 74

Here is 2 scans from Southwest racing news 1974 - Thought yall might remember?

PS. There are becoming sand in my hands, toooo many years on an newspaper.

post-3842-1179194780_thumb.jpg post-3842-1179194957_thumb.jpg

i may be wrong but i thnk the 6 car may be 'rat lane' and i think the bottom pace lap picture may be a photo from one of the liberty bell races at meyer speedway , and yes those were some bad fast cars ,if i'm not mistaken the track record at mobile was held by hugh richards in the clay reeves 122 until swindell.s kid broke it not long ago in sprint car,i think the record was held for 25-30 years that's a long time for any track record.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

The picture on the left is from the Liberty Bell at Meyer. I was there that day. The 21 is Rat Lane. The 122 is Hugh Richards. The 99 is Ikey Jerome. Outside row 2 might be the 2 of Leroy Halfin judging by the wing but I can't tell. Outside row 3 is the 44 of Sonny Upton. Richards led the first 108 laps then blew an engine. Ival Cooper ended up winning after lapping the entire field. I believe the 44 came in second. If I remeber right, they had to pit every 100 laps for fuel.

THE PICTURE ABOVE IS AT MEYER AND THE 1ST ROW WAS (21 - BUTCH HARRIS / 122 - HIGH RICHARDS) ROW 2 (99 - IKKY JEROME / 3 DON STODDORD) ROWQ 3 (NOT SURE) ROW 4 (13 - JOHN MCCLARREN / 14 JAMES MCELREATH) AFTER THAT I CANNOT MAKE OUT THE WINGS BUT THERE WERE A BUNCH OF DALLAS SPRINT CARS BACK THEN. I STILL HAVE THE 3 CAR AND AS SOON AS I AM DONE BUILDING THIS NEW MODIFIED I WILL BE RESTORING IT.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes,

I used to have that same clipping before the paper and I were both kicked out of the house by my first wife.

That is Meyer Speedway.

Great memories..

Archived