Exhaust

racer61

Im trying to figure out which type of exhaust would be better on a pro late model with a crate engine.

A true dual exhaust with dual mufflers?

Y-pipe with one muffler?

X-pipe dual mufflers?

Anyone done any research on this? Anything helps.

Cory

With the rough testing we did last year, the Y pipe setup won out over the X. I've also done some reading on the subject, and the Y seems to be the ticket. I've seen a mixture of both on late models at the track, but the Y system is by far the most common.

There are some "crate" forums that you can explore (4M for example). What I wanted to point out to you, in case you didn't know, is that the 604 has raised exhaust ports. "Standard" port headers don't line up correctly and hinder flow. Schoenfeld (and others) list crate headers separately. This is why.

Just trying to help.

Jay

Cory, I dont run a crate but on the dyno the "true" dual exaust you are refering to put out better # than the "Y" pipe or 2 into one did with a flowmaster. On the dual i use the schoenfield 11 or 12 inch IMCA mufflers. I also run a velocity stepped header. Hope this helps

Cory, I dont run a crate but on the dyno the "true" dual exaust you are refering to put out better # than the "Y" pipe or 2 into one did with a flowmaster. On the dual i use the schoenfield 11 or 12 inch IMCA mufflers. I also run a velocity stepped header. Hope this helps

great now im back to the drawing board :lol:

your using downward headers though. Crossover headers are more effecient plus the longer tubes change the characteristics of it. But I appreciate you info.

Im still trying to get one of these header suppliers to give me some advice besides "buy both and dyno them to see how they perform on your particular application" Yah, that really helps <_<

Edited by racer61