Shane Hmiel suspended

tqj3

I'll admit up front that my views on this topic are usually stronger than others, but I'd say boot him for good. This must be one of the first, if not THE first, incident of substance abuse to "surface" in NASCAR. I think they need to take this opportunity to take a very strong stance against it for the good of NASCAR in the future. Dope has no place in motorsports, and I think they should send a message that conveys that.

Chase

I would have to agree with Chase but in some respects people do make mistakes.

3 year suspension from Nascar with random drug test at Nascars discresion and driver expense.

When thats over lets see if the driver still has the want, the skills, and the clear head to compete. Assuming that they complete the mandated sentence.

From NASCAR.COM

Hmiel suspended for substance abuse

To return, driver must undergo counseling, random testing

From Press Releases September 18, 2003

7:52 PM EDT (2352 GMT)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR officials have suspended driver Shane Hmiel indefinitely pursuant to sections 12-4-A: Actions detrimental to stock car racing; and 12-4-E: Violation of the NASCAR Substance Abuse Policy as set forth in the 2003 NASCAR rulebook.

The suspension will remain in effect until Hmiel meets the terms and conditions as set forth by NASCAR for future reinstatement. To that end, NASCAR will require Hmiel to attend counseling and undergo periodic random testing.

"NASCAR has a zero tolerance for any type of behavior in violation of our Substance Abuse Policy," said NASCAR President Mike Helton. "While our primary responsibility is the safety of our drivers and our fans, we also have a moral responsibility to protect the integrity of our sport."

To emphasize the critical importance of a substance-free sport, NASCAR, in 1988, created its Substance Abuse Policy. The policy provides for testing under reasonable suspicion, an approach that is well suited to NASCAR because of the close and continuing contact between our officials and our competitors.

As a result, Hmiel was released by Innovative Motorsports, his Busch Series team. Jeff Green will take over driving duties of the No. 48 Chevrolet for this weekend's Stacker 200 at Dover.

"First and foremost, our entire organization wants to apologize to our sponsors, NASCAR, each of the NASCAR competitors, and our fans due to the recent developments surrounding this situation," said IMI team owner George deBidart.

"We certainly do not condone this type of behavior, and we fully support NASCAR in its decision."

The team owner added that the team will now institute a drug testing policy for all employees.

---------------------------------------------------

It's certainly not the first, remember how they crucified Tim Richmond, only to find out later that it was medication he was taking to combat the HIV virus. Then, was it Mike Skinners son, who got busted with drugs being transported in his race car, though he was only a member of the NASCAR weekly racing series. There is an unfortunate history of this kinda stuff in racing, ie; John Paul Sr & Jr, Scott Bloomquist and a few other big names that escape me right now. Plus all those little names that go unreported in mainstream media.

i agree wiyh chase too, beacause it would be like if you had a guy building your race car on druges the cage my not be as good if he was not on druges . i dont even drink if i know im going to work on a race car cauese i dont want to put any body in a place where they may get hurt just my.02 cents

i seem to remember a jamie skinner being busted for something similar. i may be wrong, which i am all the time. as i see it, there is no room for drugs of any type in nascar/racing. I have heard stories of local guys doing things that nascar would probally not like too much, of corse i cant say who or what because of sources and unreliable info. bottom line is, if you mess with this stuff, its gonna end your career, one way or another.

big john

He needs to be booted permanently. No NASCAR license on any level ever again. Loss of talent, sure. But believe me there are hundreds that can take his place. With a zero tolerance of drugs, send the message.

you have to back up your rules or like my dad always said, " you let your aligator mouth overload your hummingbird ass"

just my .02

I'd have to go with a ban from NASCAR. I'm not a driver, but I wouldn't want to be out there with some idiot that is on any of that crap, and by the same token, I don't want the drivers I help out locally out there with anyone on that stuff.

Every job I've had since High School was subject to random testing, and the penalty was simple--Immediate termination, with no chance of ever returning to that company. In the case of my Military years, a bad conduct discharge, comparable to a felony conviction. If I can accept those terms, so can Hmeil.

Don't worry about any potential loss of talent.

There are a bunch of drivers better than Hmeil out there who would never take another aspririn if given a chance to drive that car.

Archived