paint scheme

97car

:) Just thought I would get some opions,I am building a TPS mustang that will be ready next year,it is a 2000 mustang body,what would be a good color scheme,or color,maybe some of you graphic artist could post something. I have really been batting around several colors,and can't make up my mind,and no I can't afford those chromeallusion paints unless someone wants to sponsor them.

I like blue and white,but with it being a mustang how about yellow with red and black numbers. or you could paint it like Danny Garcia's 97 green NASCAR late model

This is the way I've done the race cars I've owned the last 18 yrs.I draw a picture outline of my car with a pencil and take the picture and make about 20 to 30 copies of it and then I get some colored pencils and sit down with a couple of cold ones and start coloring, coming up with different schemes, using different color combos.I always look for a color scheme that when you roll out on the track -it will catch the attention of the people in the stands and they will say -damn look at that car-sponsors like to have a car that people will see and get their attention-when you paint your car-use solid colors-easy to do repair painting after an altercation on the track(I dont use paint formulas)I use a solid toner colors(example-bright red toner instead of a paint code for a certain production car on the market thats painted red-reason-no color matching problem).After getting your car painted -do your car number and lettering in a color that doesn't constrast with the paint.Unless you race with a transponder-if the people in the tower can't see your number because it blends in with the color of the car you might not get scored-you can lose a few positions in the finish of a race because they couldn't read your #-use your imagination-it might scare you-I have worked in a body shop for 20+ years and I've done alot of trail and error and this works for me- Tommy Freeman/Owner/Soon to be retired Driver(passing the torch)/AllStar Race Truck #42

different strokes for different folks-guess if you wanted to add weight to your car-house paint would do it-I use Sikkens paint for a reason- I get it free and 3M gives me all the sandpaper and materials I need- plus I do all the prep and spraying myself-and having access to a downdraft paint booth helps.When I painted my race truck it took 2 days from start to finish-in exchange for this paint job and free supplies-I put Ellis & Salazar Body Shop and 3M's name on the truck.

Handling tip:

Most everyone would agree that from a handling perspective it’s not a good idea to bolt a ten-pound block of lead to the roof of your race car. And I think most everyone would also agree that bolting a full gallon of paint to the roof of your race car wouldn’t help the handling much either.

Bondo, primer, layers of paint, sealants, laminates, heavy vinyl numbers and driver names, heavy antennae and whatever you have attached to the roof just adds weight to the absolute wrong place on your race car. The idea in racing is to obtain a low center of gravity, not a high center of gravity. It really doesn’t matter to the car whether all that paint, etc, is smoothed out nice and pretty or bolted on while still in the can. Weight is weight. And weight up high on the race car is not where you want it.

So over the winter think about doing a few, or all, of these:

A) Stripping all the paint bondo, primer and heavy vinyl numbers off the roof.

B) Removing, unbolting or cutting off everything else up high on the car (rain gutters, roof insulation, driver's head, etc) that is not needed.

C) Making the roof out of material lighter than what is there.

D) Painting the roof with the bare minimum of paint needed to get the desired effect. I know coat after coat makes the car look good, but it also weighs way too much.

E) Using paint that is lighter than conventional paint. Some of the aircraft paints come to mind.

F) Putting your name on the lower door panel instead of the roof

G) Making the required roof number only as large as the rules require.

I’m sure there are other ideas out there and I sure would like to hear them!

Nick Holt

:) Thanks for the suggestions guys,I have forgot about house paint my uncle painted his car yellow with a airless sprayer and it looked good. My problem was picking a color scheme. Nick can our cars run topless next year,my roof can't get too much lighter,most of the body is aluminum any,and I will have to add at least 300 lbs to it I predict for next year,before when it was a mod4 it weighed only 1892 lbs with me in it and a full tank of gas,Yea I probably added 20 lbs to the steering wheel actuator since then,but for everything that has been added to it for down here it seems something heavier has came out ,but I might make the rest of the roof aluminum now too. I do know that aircraft paint is great I used some on it in 95 it really makes cleanup of tire marks easy,I just have to find some cheap enough.I had a line on some expired paint,but the company changed paint contractors.

Archived