WHAT'S YOUR OPINON

Racingpurplelady

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the guy is blocking/mirror drving you then give him a tap and let him know you are there but if its a clean none blocking race then pass him on the outside and make a show out of it. If the inside lane permits a pass then take it.

Guest Justaracefan

When you watch Hooter's Cup and All Pro and go to the Snowball and watched the veterans it is clear that the fast guys have control of the race track and THEY pick their groove where they want to make the pass - if they come up on someone that is holding them up they will definetly use the bumper and if the slow car doesn't move they will get moved - Did you watch Bobby Gill win the last Hooter's Cup race on SPEED?? I mean he dumped the leader for the win.

If you have someone on your bumper and a spotter is calling bumper bumper or looking looking as a driver I would think it is your decision whether to go ahead and let him go and possibly get him later or probably get turned, wreaked or pushed up the track, a Veteran will make something happen he is not going to sit and ride and wait for a driver to screw up. And as far as making calls - tell me one of the upper series or premier races that makes calls?

Justaracefan, I hope not to many ROMCO drivers share your view. I agree you should make somthing happen, but that should be somthing like out braking or even going through the grass, not just shoving them out of the way. Try that on some guys and you will become close friends with your chassis builder after the next race.

Beaver6 , the cost of street tires compared to hoosiers or mccrearys is alot . The tires most Super Street cars run att CC are Firestone Firehawks which go for about $55 each. When you look at the racing now winning $500 for a feature on $55 dollar tires compared to winning $300 on $100 tires you can see the differance. This keeps the cost down but ,yes the cars are slidding more. The main thing seems to be for the lead driver to hold a line . I have seen plenty of passes on the outside this year.

madracing19 , all i was doing or saying was that jason said the ccspeedway was slick ,all i was doing is saying is if you run racing tires at that track the cars may not slip as much as they do on street tires not the condition of the track making the cars slip around .his is all i was tring to say, and jason asked how much the racing tires cost.

I have been the faster of two while racing @ CC Speedway & have had the car in front "mirror drive" and move all over the track to block me. No, I definitely do not like it when I can see the lead cars pulling away ahead of my "mirror driver"; however, that's when you have to get creative in driving. I, for one, do not like the chrome horn, nor do I use it. It takes no skill whatsoever to wreck a car...anyone can do that. Instead, as Nick referred to, push the driver in front to come in hotter, try him on the high side, shoot down low, but don't just stay behind him. It's a proven fact that you can't drive looking behind you constantly. Keep the scenery changing on them and most of the time you can catch 'em on a mistake. Anyway, as Jason said, that's my two cents worth.

Rick Russell

"Rookie of the Year" Texas Thunder Class CC Speedway :D

Slysnake-

Using the chrome horn is not wrecking the car in front. It's not even pushing him hard enough to move him up. It should do nothing at all but wake him up to the fact that you are back there, you are faster, and you are coming around.

If you hit him hard enough to move him up to the higher line so you can get under him, that's not the chrome horn, it's a "bump and run." Hitting him hard enough to wreck him is just that, wrecking him.

I never liked having to do any of it, but I don't like following a mirror driver while the fast cars pull away from both of us.

beer and wings, yummy, but i tend to agree with L8, too many variables to discuss on a type written deal. Level of performance, car setup, driving ability and experience all come into play, and it would take pages and pages to cover it all and probably never get anywhere. But I think for the most part the input has been pretty good overall. Lots of different opinions, level of experience, ability etc etc! Good to see most stay fairly level headed on this subject, which is what I think this forum was intended for.

Guest Justaracefan

Bandit - I was just answering the question who has control of the race track - When you watch the "Big Boys" race the fast guys control the track - Go run the Snowball Derby and when Gill comes up behind you and you are holding that inside line "braking" check him as you say, and he taps you to move and you don't let up and or move see what happens to you - I mean what happened at the first Big Shot at Thunder Hill with about 10 to go - Did Goodson turn Davidson? I can guarantee you that if Anderson would not have been in a class of his own at the last Big Shot with 10 to go he would of moved someone for the $30,000 to win. That is just what my eyes see - Like I say I don't think anywhere but Texas they make "calls" you are own your own from what I understand.

Like I say I don't think anywhere but Texas they make "calls" you are own your own from what I understand.

Major stock car racing organizations (Nextel Cup, Busch, etc) do make judgement calls during the race. They hold people they deem to be rough driving for a lap or two (or more) in the infamous "black box," a much more severe punishment than simply going to the back of the pack. It is true, however, that these governing bodies tend to overlook "racing incidents" and let the chips fall where they may after contact between two or more competitors. By that I mean the "spinnee" attempts to rejoin the field as far up as they can and the "spinner" usually gets to keep his place in line after an incident. It's only when it's "obvious" to the race officials that someone is dirty driving that they use the black box.

I will say, however, that very few tracks and sanctioning bodies attempt to determine who's at fault in racing incidents on a routine basis. Most tracks and sanctioning bodies I am aware of use the "all involved" go to the back rule. Granted, I have only been to perhaps 50 different tracks in my life and very few dirt tracks, so I certainly could be way off base with this assessment.

Nick Holt

Let me just say this. I had the privelige to attened and meet the folks that own and run ASA in HOuston. I asked them this same question. Their answer to me was, the races are long enough that when you make pit stops that will take care of the positions of the cars that were envolved. But also if they feel that the wreck was intentional they will handle it differently, including parking someone. The same is true at the snowball derby. The main reason to have a rule where everyony involved goes to the rear is avoid the problems eveyone is talking about, brake checking and so on. In ROMCO we had a rule that if the leader got spun out, he got his place back, and the second place car went to the rear. After about 2 races where the leader was just barely touched and spun on purpose, we dropped that rule and started sending everyone to the rear it stopped a lot of that type of move by the leaders. If you are running races where the race is long enough that you must make pit stops, sooner or later the drivers that have caused the spin will be at the back.

Terry Barden

Romco

ROMRD...

Everyone involved goes to the back?

Not trying to be confrontational... just wondering if there's an explanation.

This past weekend at Houston Colt James was running in the top 10 and had a guy dive to the inside of him going into turn 1. The guy slid across the apron and punted Colt. Colt got sent to the rear and that guy kept his spot. That guy caused another wreck and was involved in another... he never got parked but I think he was eventually sent to the back but could be wrong. Later in the race a guy spun the tires coming out of turn 2.. Colt appeared to have checked up trying to avoid him but bumped him and they straightened up and kept going. Well the three cars behind Colt all collided as someone slammed on the brakes. Colt sent to the rear... none of the others. It didn't make sence to me. Not saying it was pick on Colt night... but man.... who made the calls and what were they looking at? This is the way a lot of people in the stands saw it... what did we all miss?

Man Terry brought back some memories of the past few years. How many of us remember that race at CC when Joey went spinning into the grass when he tried to pass Chris and then was turned down? Glad they changed that rule.

Jason

Kelly83

when I or any of my officals make a mistake, I will always be the first to say so. It definetly was not pick on colt nite. After the races both Colt and his dad cornerer me as voiced their displeasure with the calls against him. I have not been able to watch a tape of the race, so I don't really don't know what happened on the track. I watch the leaders and try to glance around the track when the race is going on. I depend on the other officals to help watch the turns and back stretch. When something happens, if I don't see it, I will ask them what happened. The fisrt time Colt spun, I was told it was a solo. I have to go with that. Now if that was not what happened, then we made a mistake. I can not any thing about it now, however I can say this, after the meeting I am going to have with my officials, I don't think it will happen again. At least hope it doesn't. As far as the second time that is what I want to see a tape for.

I don't and never have used a tape. to make calls on the track, but I have used to see what [if any] mistakes we made and try to learn from.

Terry

I know we spend about $80 a tire to run at CC. But back to the other topic of bumping...........What if the lead car is obviously brake checking, and slowing way down in the corners but as you go high, he goes high and vice versa. What do you do, just hang out and wait for the checkered or do you risk the DDDDQQQQQQ???????? Of course, I guess it would matter on the view, and or opinion of the spotters. ARE THEY NEUTRAL??

Keep it simple, send all involved to the back. But be consistent about it.

I agree with this.

I don't know where you race at, but have you ever seen the problem when rules change from week to week, depending on driver involved, or following rules in one class and the next class a similar incident happen but the rule seems to change.?? Sometimes it makes a driver very cautious of moves made on the track in fear of the loss of an entire season of hard work and points.

I agree with the pulling the mirrors out and no radios. I think the radios can be more of a distraction than any good. If you have a problem with your car that can be seen by the person on the other end of the radio than most likely the people in the infield will see it and pull them in. It's not like everyone has a radio and they run fine without them.

I would really like to see the mirrors gone at CC. Most drivers who have been racing for a while can hear the cars on their side. I know they say they are for safty and for lap traffic, but like others have said the dirt cars do not use them. That would take care of the problem with mirror drivers.

Just my thought. Not to say it is a good one. lol.

We also spend about 75 dollars per tire to race at CC.

Archived