To all SAS and USRA drivers and Officials

Rick Day

I just wanted to say Thank You to all the Drivers, Owners, Crew and Officials that i had the pleasure to work with the past year and a half.

You welcomed me to Texas being the transplant from the outside. I enjoyed all the great friends I have made here in Texas. I just want to wish everyone good luck this year at which ever track you choose as your new home. Keep your heads high and proud and remember the 31 years of History, joy and pleasure that San Antonio Speedway has given you. Hopefully all in not done for motorsports in SA area.

I am trying to find a position in the industry that will help keep me here but time is running out. I have talked with some tracks about a position but looks like the leading deal for me might be back in North Carolina. But where ever i may end up, I will always remember everyone here in Texas.

I also want to thank Terry and Tammy Dickerson for giving me the chance to run the track for them. Debbie Williams and Nick Holt you were are blessing and enjoyed working with you.

And i also have to say that the staff we had at SAS was one of the best i have ever worked with, good luck to you also. Any track would welcome your assistance.

Best Wishes and Great Racing

Rick Day

Former President, GM and Race Director

San Antonio Speedway

United States Racing Association

I honestly believe that Rick and Debbie had turned the tide at SAS.

Rick brought a bunch of very successful experience with him and Debbie had seen first hand how easy it is to let a track slip down that slippery slope. And they were determined to put SAS back on the map.

Two things that stand out that they had in common were a huge love or racing and a great work ethic. And whatever knowledge, skills and abilities they didn't share, complimented each other. For example, Rick isn't going to write the next great American novel any time soon, but Debbie can write like a pro. And Debbie didn't know much about the rules and competition side, but Rick knew that stuff inside out.

In short, it was a great team. It's just a shame that circumstances beyond anyone's control didn't allow them to see the track prosper as they both knew it could.

Nick

Thanks, guys, for your kind compliments.

I truly enjoyed my experiences at San Antonio Speedway for the past few years. The people are what made it so special - including the staff, drivers, sponsors, fans, pit crews, etc. Although I know I'll miss the Saturday night racing action, it's the fine folks associated with racing at SAS that I'll miss the most.

Rick - I hope you can find a job opportunity here in San Antonio soon. You have so much to offer the racers, and your knowledge of racing, especially on how to put on a smooth, efficient show for the fans is top-notch. It's hard to believe we never had a fight or disagreement while working so closely together for so many months. You're more than a co-worker - you're a true friend and I wish you well in whatever you choose to do in the future.

And, Nick, you were always there to help me when I needed advice. Your professionalism, knowledge and dedication to racing in South Texas are really appreciated. Maybe we'll have the opportunity to continue working together in future stock-car racing endeavors.

Terry, you gave us all an opportunity to keep racing at SAS alive for a couple of more years - wish it could have been longer. Your passion for racing inspired all of us to give it our best. With your guidance, I was able to broaden my knowledge of racing and media relations. I'm glad that you plan to continue your involvement in racing with your driver development program.

Tammy and Erin - thanks for putting up with me - even when I walked in as the "tornado" sometimes. I really enjoyed working with both of you.

As for the rest of the staff - I already miss y'all a bunch. I hope we can all continue to stay in touch with each other.

We're so lucky to have TSZ. Even thought we don't get to see everyone on Saturday nights at SAS, we still can keep track of what's going on with all of the fine folks in the racing world.

Wishing all of you my best in whatever you do or wherever you go . . .

Debbie

It was a joy and a priviledge to be the Chaplain and Pace Truck/Car Driver at SAS. It was something I really looked forward to each and every race date. I have been a life-long racing fan (I grew up in L.A. -Lower Alabama-and the Mobile and P'cola Speedways are very close to my heart. I had raced go-karts before but SAS was my first time being in on the action of the stockcar action.

Although I love the cars and the racing action, it was (and is) the people that make it worth the time and effort to be involved as a supporter and official. I have many wonderful memories of SAS and I would like to thank a few people (if I don't mention YOUR name, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate what you do and have done.) Thanks to:...Milton Hope for opening the door for me to be the track chaplain...the Haglands for "officially" asking me to be the track Chaplain...to Mike Sepiech for handing me the keys to the Dodge Pace Truck and asking me if I thought I could "drive it without wrecking it?"...to Mike Sepiech and Pete Peters for asking me to perform their wedding ceremonies in the winner's circle (their respective spouses must have also agreed-thanks to them also)...to Terry and Tammy Dickerson for allowing me to continue to drive the Pace Vehicle under their management (even though Terry always thought I didn't get off the track quick enough)...to Rick Day for letting me continue to drive and for trusting me to know when to get back on the track and when not to...to Debbie Williams for the many unheralded and unnoticed things that you always did to make the races happen and for still being nice when people weren't always nice to you...to Nathan ("Red"), Sonny, Dalbert, Erin, Russell, Mary Jo, Brad, Wayne Norell, Terry Barden, Stormy Dickerson (don't tell the others, but you really were my favorite Trophy Girl)...Dee...Vince...Rambo...Larry Bendele...Joe Aramendia...Ken & Missy...Bruce Marbrito...Mike from Express-News (I'll remember your last name as soon as I hit "send"...Neil Upchurch...Mike Balzer...Pat Lane...well, I could go on but the list is really endless and I hope I don't offend anyone whose name I left out. I appreciate this last group for working beside me and with me, for helping me out in times of need or confusion, for treating me with respect and dignity (even when I didn't deserve it) and for making Saturday Nights at SAS something special, wonderful, and unique. I will miss those wonderful times of the last 7+seasons and hope that we all get to interact again in the racing community real soon.

Well, now that I'm really depressed I'd better stop and move on. SAS was an outstanding experience due to all those mentioned above and others not mentioned by name. The memories we created together will be cherished forever. One thing is for certain-the older we get, the better those experiences will become.

Yours and HIS,

Rev. Henry Smith

I also want to include my thanks to all the staff at S.A.S. ya'll helped me fofill a dream I've had as long as I can remember. Rick, for answering all my rookie questions on Paul Lipp's hotline.... :D:D:D Debbie,for making sure I got my stickers for wins... to ALL the staff for making me feel safe and for your hard work every time we raced.Don't have much to compare you Ya'll with but I have a strong feeling you will be hard to beat.Good luck and God bless. Paul & Daryl Lipp H.D.P. Racing

LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU ..FOR AN OUTSTANDING JOB YAH DID .TERRY .DEB . RICK . CHAPLAIN WHO WAS SLOW TO GET OFF THE TRACK .YOUR WORDS NOT MINE ... WITHOUT YAHS HARD WORK AND DEDICATION SLEEPLESS NIGHTS .PUTTING UP WITH ALL THE OTHER THINGS YOU DIDNT DESERVE . WE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FINALY WIN A TPS RACE AT SAS ..MAY I SAY THE CLOSEST FINISH IN TPS HISTORY ..THANKS FOR LETTING NEIL RUN HIS SERIES.. .RICK HOPE YOU FIND SOMETHING SOON SO YOU CAN HELP TXENERGY GET THIER TRACKS UP AND RUNNING ..I BELIEVE YOU AND DEB COULD BE OF SOME HELP .. ..[ JOB WELL DONE ..] ................ THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORYS THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME .. MIKE MCCAIN . CC TEX CREW TPS 7 ..

Archived