Houston Photos from 50's-60's (cont'd)

57Tbird

th_ArchieLacy2.jpg AJ, Billy, ?, at Meyer, prior to it's opening. AJ took the Special on a trial run here and had trouble with the car gripping in the turns on the new asphalt.

th_ArchieLacy3.jpg Checkered flag for Billy and #53 at Playland.

th_ArchieLacy10.jpg #53 over the wall at Playland. Billy and Archie with the wrecker driver trying to figure out how to get it out.

th_ArchieLacy7.jpg Another #53 at C.C.

th_ArchieLacy6re.jpg That's AJ climbing out of his car.... not to see if Billy was all right.

• 2 weeks later...

More memorabilia from Lacy's grandson...

(After you click on the clipping thumbnails to bring them up, click on them again to further enlarge and make them readable.)

This clipping from May, 1957, describes the make-up of the Archie Lacy Special shown in previous photos.

th_LacySpecialSpecRe-1.jpg

This clipping is undated, but appeared sometime just before the construction of the Daytona Speedway started in 1957. Info at the bottom outlines the organizaton of the Houston Stock Car Racing Assn, naming their first officers.

th_DaytonaRe-1.jpg

This photo is undated, but from the mid-50's. The names on the photo for this crew are, L-R:

Mert Davis, Bill Farris, Tex Ritter (not the singer), Dick White, Bill Blumrick, Charlie Johns, Bill Hawkins, Bill Allen. It is not known what their function was, so any input from old-timers is appreciated. I'm going to run it by Bill White sometime soon and see if he knows.

th_GroupUnidRe.jpg

• 5 months later...

As for the undated photo, it does appear to be from the 50s. Mert Davis-no idea. Bill Farris raced Modified Stock Cars at Houston's Playland Speedway in the late 50s/60, and at Houston's Meyer Speeday in the early 60s. In '63, during warmups/practice, his car #57 crashed in turn 1 & he was killed, possibly due to safety equipment failure. Tex Ritter looks like Charlie Ritter, who raced Modified Stock Cars thru the mid/late 60s at Houston's Meyer Speedway. Dick White raced Modified Stock Cars at Houston's Playland Speedway in the late 50s/60 era, and possibly raced some at Houston's Meyer Speedway as well. Bill Blumrick raced Stock Cars at Houston's Playland Speedway in the 50s/60 era, and the 60s raced Modified Stock Cars at Houston's Meyer Speedway, winning a championship at Meyer Speedway. Charlie Johns-no idea. Bill Hawkins-no idea. Bill Allen raced Stock Cars and Modified Stock Cars at Playland Speedway in the 50s, and was the first race car driver I ever met. He drove a blue #40 Modified in the late 50s/60 era. Any of the drivers I mentioned possibly raced elswhere also, including Houston's Arrowhead Speedway and North Houston Speedway. As far as accuracy is concerned, I am going by memory only, but I think I am correct for the most part.

hey guy's, just from memory or what is left of it, i was at meyer the evening that bill farris was killed in his accident, i was just 8 years old and sold programs walking back and forth in the grandstands, my dad came early that day for hot laps, mom, my brothers,sisters, and i was just walking up to the ticket booth behind the stands for mom to get tickets when ole tater pete announced that bill farris was just killed in his wreck. mom didn't hear him clear on his annoncement and thought that he mentioned my dad was killed in a wreck, she passed out with 8 kids standing there with her, after we confirmed the announcement was bill farris, she was better but yet sad that a fellow racer had died. she thought that tater pete had said F. L. Harris instead of Bill Farris because the noise from other cars, she did not hear clearly. we were so glad to see my dad after all this happen, but so sorry for the Farris family. tex ( charlie ritter ) drove the 51 modified that belong to Chuck Gentry that owned AC auto salvage on north shepherd dr. in houston. the 51 car, had the first 430 lincohn motor ever run in a modified and was a very fast car. Chuck also owned the 15 car, which was painted just like the 51 car. i'm not sure, but i thought maybe norman pierce drove it some, but i'll have to consult my dad, he is still alive and doing great at age 82. he built so many transmissions and rearends for these guy's back in the 50's, 60's, and so on. bill hawkins was a good friend of the family and we did some tranny work for him but i dont know exactly what part he played in at meyer or playland, all i know is that he was involved and called dad alot. bill blumrick drove the 7 modified at meyer. it was a beautiful car painted shinney maroon with a big whale on the trunk lid, and a slogan saying, " whale of a deal ", and i believe it had frizzel pontiac on it. i'm not sure about the motor, but i think he was running a pontiac motor, he was a good driver also. if some of these pictures could be blown up to a closer view at playland in the stands, you could probably find me with my mom and family, most likely, mom would be keeping a hand on me to keep me from running in front of the stands and jumping off the end where blackie went over the wall/fence. i have a friend that he and his family went to meyer in the early 60's and his father filmed the races on 8mm film, his dad has since passed away but he thinks his mom has this film, if so, he is going to give it to me, i hope she still has it. good talking with you folks, i don't get to visit often, but i love it when i do, thanks and may the Lord keep us safe, del ( little ) harris.

th_ArchieLacy2.jpg AJ, Billy, ?, at Meyer, prior to it's opening. AJ took the Special on a trial run here and had trouble with the car gripping in the turns on the new asphalt.

th_ArchieLacy3.jpg Checkered flag for Billy and #53 at Playland.

th_ArchieLacy10.jpg #53 over the wall at Playland. Billy and Archie with the wrecker driver trying to figure out how to get it out.

th_ArchieLacy7.jpg Another #53 at C.C.

th_ArchieLacy6re.jpg That's AJ climbing out of his car.... not to see if Billy was all right.

In the bottom photo, I wonder who that is over the wall. Looks like Playland Speedway back straightaway mid 50s.

Archived