TSRS @ HMP

ups88john

I guess ill start this one. congrats to ronnie, hudak and tommy. congrats to all the lapped cars that got out of the way when the leader came up on them(although i cant remember any that did). it was a messed up nite or racing, i think it only took one start, but there was about 5 or 10 yellow before the first green. cars were going everywhere, crashing spinning, and not getting lined up under yellow. I dont know what went on in the scoring tower, but i hope they can get it figured out. transponders didnt seem to help much because there was a ton of confusion, either between scoring and spotters or spotters and drivers. ronnie new lead all 400 laps and ran a good race. the only real mover in the top 6 or 7 was casey smith, he was involved in two seperate altercations, one with mike yale, dont know what happened, and the other with ian webster. the deal with ian was kinda confusing, because it seemed like smith got into ian coming off 4 and then tried to go under when ian was spinning, and ran over the left front of his car. like i said, it was a messed up nite, lots of yellows and tore up race cars. I know what i saw, but i aint gonna say.

big john

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never figured out why none of the local tracks have a scoring tower. A low budget tower would not cost much at all. It seems most of the time fans are bitching about the time it takes to get the lineup done after a caution. The deal with the officials and a spotter does not work efficiently because drivers or spotters just claim "my radio quit working". If you have a scoring tower, this would eliminate everything but "I cant see the tower". Selling advertising on the low budget tower would pay for itself, and then some.

Guest Justaracefan

I wasn't at the race but talked to a friend of mine that lives in Houston after the race that was there- he said it was VERY boring only about 18 laps of green flag racing and only because the last 10 they didn't count the yellow. - He said the same that UPS John said that with 3 or 4 to go Casey was the only one that was trying to make something happen it had been follow the leader under yellow type racing all night- He said that the guy in the #13 (in front of Casey)got into Tommy G. in front of him and Casey ducked down to get around him, he cut down on Casey and that is when they got together - said the #13 crew was yelling and wanting to fight Casey, and that other than fireworks in the pits it was a pretty boring event.

HMMMMM, Very eerie silence on the the ole TSZ board. Yeah, if it wasn't for Casey it would have been a boring race alright. That mean old #13 should have gotten out of his way. That and lapped cars racing with the leaders. Oh, and the love bugs, they were cool too. All in all, just glad to get out of there in one piece.

I am sure that after this race TSRS will use the 10% or I hope the 20% rule for lining the cars up.

I think that with 10 or 15 laps to ga in the race the lap cars should not be up with the cars that are on the lead lap.

Most of the drivers in TSRS move up on the start to give the leads a chnace to race for the win.

This did not happen at all during this race.

I know that it is not Manditory to move up for the leaders, and let them race for the win, but you have to hope that if the shoe is on the other foot these guys would show you the same respect.

At about lap 30 ( or was that 430?) our car pulled off the track with a bad ignition , and It was such a boring race that I begged the officials to let me go back to my trailer.

I was stuck in the infeild.................

I did get to watch the fights in the pit area. I think Casey could have taken him. lol

WOHoooooooo

I went to a fight and a race broke out. lol

GREAT JOB RONNIE , BRAD & TOMMY.....

Victory Lane

HMMMMM, Very eerie silence on the the ole TSZ board.

Hmmmmm indeed! I guess everyone senses that Nick the Mad Moderator is hunched over the ole "edit button" ready to pounce on any insults, bashes and "foul" language they had in mind to describe the Houston TSRS race. When Big John won't talk, you know something's up.

Nick Holt

there is alot i want to say, but nick would edit out the color comments, and there is no need for that now, the race is over and we have to look foreward to next race. the 29 car is sitting in one piece in the garage, thank god don had surgery or we may have looked like a demo derby car. good luck to everyone on the 27th, hopefully there will be more good things to say.

big john

I made the rip from S.A. to Houston for the race, it was not the normal TSRS race that I have seen at SAS.I am sure Mary Ann will fix the problems they had last saturday and we can all enjoy more green flag racing.As far as the #3 and #13 deal it was just a racng deal the 13 got into the back of the car ahead of him and the 3 could not check up fast enough and got into the back of 13 then picked the wrong side to try to avoid the 13(Filp a coin).Every track and every series has a night like TSRS did on saturday but its all behind us and the next race will be better I'd bet on it.

It is true that it was just a bad night all around. I would like to apologize to those of you who know what an ass I made of myself on the spotters tower. I apologize to Casey for hurling comments at him from atop the tower. I apologize to the fans for having to listen to a ranting maniac. I apologize to the tsrs officials for causing a scene in front of the track owner. I do not however apologize to the gentleman who confronted me. As unprofessional as my actions may have been........yours were worse. My actions were embarrasing to me and my team but they were words and only words. You took it upon yourself to approach and threaten me directly. You went as far as to attempt to provoke me into a fight. I may be a lot of things but I would never have taken it as far as you wanted to. I am sorry if my words caused you that much discomfort but I think if you are planning to see this young man through to the higher ranks of racing that you might want to get used to people saying bad things about him. It is inevitable that people will have different views of the same incident and some will be just as willing as I was (unfortunately) to express it. If this means that you are going to go around provoking fights with all of these people then I would suggest that in his best interests you remove yourself from the environment. I will not be provoked by you or anyone else into a physical confrontation. It just doesn't make sense. I am not trying to berate you or any way embarass you. I just want those that know to hear my side of the story. Again.........I am sorry for acting the fool.....IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Okay........it has recently been brought to my attention that the gentleman that I had the confrontation with may have been Casey's father. If that is the case then I guess I should apologize to you as well. Being a father myself, I can respect the fact that you felt obliged to defend your son. I will try to do a better job of keeping my comments to myself from now on. You might want to do the same as well. As it turns out when you left the tower, you were threatening to do me bodily harm sitting next to my mother which in turn upset her greatly. My sincere apologies.

before i get started on some of the events this weekend. justanother, i can tell you for a fact since being close to the altercation on saturday night the gentlemen that you exchanged words with was Casey's father.

I want to add that yes this was probably the worst race driven by the drivers and yes the officials made some mistakes but i also want to thank mary ann for stepping in after the races and calling all drivers to the meeting area and telling all the drivers that she knows the officials made some mistakes and that she would have that fixed for next race but also for telling all the drivers that she was not going to stand for the type of racing that went on in houston. i know the race was boring in the car so i cant imagine what it was like for the fans but i hope they realize that our races are generally a lot better than that and they'll come out and watch us next race in houston.

As my mind starts to clear from the alcohol induced haze after the TSRS race these are some concerns that I have from my own point of view and with some of the other people that I talked to after the race. First of all the confusion with getting cars lined up was just boring and mind boggling to watch the whole evening, and I really feel bad for the racefans who had to come out and pay to see somewhere between 18 and 22 green flag laps. Once again I know TSRS officials are volunteers and it couldn't get run without them so don't take this personally its just things that get noticed and might be looked at for future reference. Three qualifiers were allowed to go back out immediately after their qualifying runs due to mechanical failure with the scoring system, while their tires were still warm, shouldn't they have been allowed to go back out later when the tires had cooled down some, just like the rest of the fields. Why weren't the drivers allowed to have a warm up lap to get the tires warm like they have had every other race. Then the spin by the #7 car, when originally they ruled that the #00 had caused that but changed their decision, but yet the 7 got his position back, but nobody went to the back for causing the yellow flag. The #11 car, his brother got into him but it was just brothers being brothers and it was an accident. I didn't quite comprehend that one very well. Please do somethin with the lapped cars on restarts. Now I'll pat myself on the back a little bit, man I wish every TSRS race was at houston, because I've picked the right winners there to try and take a commanding lead in the points standings. Congrats to Ronnie New for getting the W.

Guest Justaracefan

It sounds like Houston might have had a better show in the pits than the Saturday night Winston Cup event I was watching. My friend races Legends I have seen Casey's Dad and I can only image his reaction to someone yelling stuff about Casey-- was Casey's Mom there? I guess you can consider it "short track racing?"

Let's not go crazy here...........I still think the kid booted us. I also think it kinda sux that someone that has no stake in this series has had such a drastic effect on the points race. The bottom line is intentional or not his incidents have directly affected the standings in a way that may not be able to be corrected. With only a few races left, he has directly effected the results of two of the top four drivers in the last two races........in my opinion that is unfortunate for the series. I realize that that is what racing for a championship is all about but I think some words of regret from him or the team would go a long way in mending fences. Accepting responsibility for your actions seems like a reasonable request and the "professional" thing to do. Just my two cents worth!!!!

Archived