HOW.WHAT. AND WHY .DID YOU START TIDA

HiTech

HERE IS ONE FOR YOU NEIL ................. HOW .WHAT. AND WHY .DID YOU START TIDA ..PRO SEDANS ..WHERE WAS THE FIRST RACE ..

HOW ? - We started the TIDA Pro Sedan series with a meeting at Import Cars and Parts in San Antonio in 1976.

WHAT ? - With six drivers who signed up to be charter members with initial dues at $10. The six drivers were Mike Knotts, Jerry Pelton, Bill Bailes, Joe Osborne, Dave Greenwood and Neil Upchurch.

WHY ? - In order for our members to be able to compete in 4 cylinder 24 hour race at the Autodromo of Monterrey, Mexico without having to purchase expensive FIA memberships by showing their TIDA Pro Sedan member cards.

WHERE WAS THE FIRST RACE ?- A 24 hour race at the Autodromo of Monterrey which started 72 cars.[/size]

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

I dont remember where our car finished in that first race either, but there was only a couple of hours left and Bobby Pelton was driving. He spun off the front straight and the extra sump we had on the engine came sliding across the track. He had run over a piece of pipe sticking out of the ground and knocked it off. He started the motor up to get back inthe race but there was no oil . End of race for us. We were in the top ten before that. Next time we raced in Monterrey 24 Hr race, we finished fourth. I still have the trophy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chris Taylor - You asked "When was this? I hear stories about my dad and his buddies taking MG's and Elva's to Monterrey all the time back in the 60's."

A number of major racing events were held at The Autodromo of Monterrey during the late 1960's through 1975.

My first race at Monterrey was October 24, 1971. It was billed as the "1,000 Kilometers of Monterrey". That calculates to a 621 mile race on the 2 mile road racing circuit.

A number of cars and drivers came from the United States. Several were sports cars. A few were Texas stock cars or SCCA GT-1 cars ie: Corvette, Camaro, Mustang. Johnny Peck and I co-drove a Karmen Ghia with an engine that was more Porsche than VW.

The race was marred by a crash that claimed the life of a driver from Phoenix, Arizona. His Triumph TR-3 ran off the main straight and flipped when his hood blew up and hit him in the face.

I recall the race winning car was a Porsche Carrera driven by a couple of Mexican national stars from Mexico City.

Neil Upchurch

Archived