Wild Bill Waller 2007 racing update

rebelracewriter

Hey Race Fan,

Just a quick note to let you know we are still at it.

If you work with me, you probably have already snickered at my blue hands.

For those that are not that fortunate, here is what we have been up to.

Paint.. yes that is it.. Paint!

Seems we made 4 critical mistakes this year in painting.

We tried Metal Flake paint.

We picked a dark color.

We applied it ourselves.

W tried a one shot clear coat and paint all in one.

It has been an uphill battle all the way!

The first try the paint orange peeled on us.

So I spent half of last Saturday sanding it back down the old fashioned way... by hand!

Then I repainted it. It screwed up again! After I went postal and threw the paint gun across the shop, it started leaking all over the place, so I took the hammer and fine tuned it. :)

I went back to my old paint gun, but it got dirt all in the paint job. I figured I was on the right track and it just sat there too long and corroded. Hadn't been used in 7 years or better.

So I bought a new gun from Home Depot and tried again the next day.

Same deal.. Hmmm maybe that gun wasn't so bad.. oooppss too late.. Dusty already disassembled it so we could see what was wrong with it.

Next problem.. Dusty sticks tape on the tail tank and guess what.. the primer flaked off.

(**$&@Q@)(($_%+^()#*#&(@)!!!!!!!!!!! That's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am taking it to a painter. To heck with it. Proceed to strip off all old paint on the tank.

So remaining pieces are at the painter right now. I ended up painting one panel 3 times.

Like they say.. Don't quit your day job and be an auto painter.

After we get this thing painted, it is time for decals. I already have a person on the line to do it for me and I should be talking with him by Monday.

Talk to you soon.

Bill

Archived