Certified weight

zoom

When the track is going to tech a racer, and they pull the crank,flywheel, clutch, what ever. Shouldn't the track have to show that they have a certified scale? If they are using a portable scale, shouldn't it be there obligation and responsibility to have a certified test weight, say 5 or 10 pounds to calibrate the scale, and maybe an odd weight like 7 ounces. Also shouldn't they have to set the scale on a stable and level surface? Since the tech can determine not only points but money, I would think that this is serious business. Not to mention what it cost's the racer to pull a crank. I don't think that the track can have the attitude of "it's our scale, it's right and that's what we go by." Because, we can't all run to the track when building our car to weigh parts. But we can have legal parts if the weights are all standard.

What do ya'll think?

zoom,

Here's what I used to do at SAS. We would use the track scales to weigh the whole car and that was considered the standard. Teams could weigh before the races if they wanted to be sure you were legal. Also, we used ride height wheels that were available before the races to any team. Again, these were considered the standard.

However, engine and drive train parts that needed to be weighed were taken to a trusted machine shop where they were cleaned, inspected and measured.

It is not practical for local tracks and regional series to maintain a complete, certified set of measuring devices. Those parts than can be removed from the car (like drive train parts) can be measured at machine shops. The rest are set by whatever measuring devices are available (tape measures, track scales, templates, etc) to the track or sanctioning body and made available to the competitors before events.

Nick Holt

:( Every time somebody talks about weighting a crank, I cringe. I feel for all of you guys out there who have had to do that. I've pulled heads, flywheels without a complaint, but weighing a crankshaft....common!

There is a point in this hobby where it loses it's "fun" factor. I haven't hit that point yet, but if I had to pull a crankshaft, I think I would be there! ;)

Good luck to everyone this weekend,

Chase

I need to put my 2 cents in on this one. First off it is the most silly thing there is to pull a crank, the cost and the chance of damage is great to be doing this. I can tell everyone out here that putting a light crank in there by it self is not going to make that make much of a difference unless you have the rods ,pistons flywheel clutch and driveshaft.I have done a lot of dyno testing on this stuff and unless you have the money for the complete package there really is no advantage.If more racers would worry about getting the basics in there engines right than wasting money on bullshit tricks of the week parts they would make a whole lot more power and there motors would live alot longer. Look at the valve jobs on your heads or study camshafts that need to be run with what your clyinder heads will flow. Look at air flow in your carburators thru the air box or air filters look at ways to get the oil back in the pan away from the cranks look at ways to reduce friction these are things that make alot of difference and are cheap to do. There are alot of things you can do like this and the rewards are great you just have to think about what is going on inside of this engines of corase the ones that work on there stuff will do alot better that the ones that don't

Supertx, I agree with what you said except one thing. A light crank will not show on a dyno unless you can adjust the accelleration rate to match how fast a short track motor gains RPM. Most dynos gain RPM too slow for light components to make a differance.

You hit the nail on the head Super Tex. Buy the way, the guys that probably cheating are at the back of the pack trying to get to the front. They are no quick fixes for a ill handling car and a cheater motor just compounds things. If they would spend more time on handling they would find the horsepower.

Bandit

On my dyno when I want to study time dependent functions, acceleration rates, I have the opition that i can record 78 data points up to 2000 rpm per second and as low as 25 rpm per second .along with another function I can use ,I will set my rpm at min. range to max. range this is the rpm range that im going to test the engine and do acceleration and deceleration pulls with time data aqustion what all this means i can get 78 readings of what the engine is doing at 300 times per second form the lower limits to high limits and back to the lower limit lets say that your turning your race engine 8000 rpm if it was on my dyno that would only be 133.333 times per second. But like anybody that has spent any time on a dyno there is a plus and minus factor of about 1% and you really need to have an understanding of what information you are recieving. ssso to rap this up yes I can measure and recieve data on light weight componets

Archived