Tires for 2007

Truck99

My understanding is nothing should be changing with the THR classes... only the TSRS tires are in question..

Again.. my understand from conversations with jack...

TSRS was having a hard time with flat tires on the f53's... and they are looking for a resolution..

i hope for their sake(the drivers) the series doesnt cut off a mole and replace it with cancer..............the AR.

i ran on the f-53 for awhile , and it is not a good LIFE tire. but i hope the series will work with hoosier.

as for us..........LIFE wise, i hope we stick with the 970

For its longevity, the 970 has my vote also. Seems like years ago the LM class ran on the 970 tire also. Maybe they should look to the past for their answer. Of course, I could just be tempted by the idea of the availability of LM take-offs again like the old days. ;)

Why does it have to be the tires fault? As long as everyone is on the same tire the playinf field is even. As far as flats go, im willing to bet that most of the flats are from debris caused by the racer him self, i wouldnt be to quick to blame the tire brand. Any tire will go flat with a pop rivet stuck in it.

Why does it have to be the tires fault? As long as everyone is on the same tire the playinf field is even. As far as flats go, im willing to bet that most of the flats are from debris caused by the racer him self, i wouldnt be to quick to blame the tire brand. Any tire will go flat with a pop rivet stuck in it.

no one is blaming the tire for going flat , just want one that has a longer life. not all of us got money [edited out by Nick Holt, 1/7/06] :D

Everyone knows we sell Hoosiers, so we are biased, but here's something to take into consideration. The F53 and the 970 have the same role out. The F53 is an all-out racing tire with 2 ply side wall and soft rubber compound. The 970 also has a 2 ply sidewall, but the compound is harder and it is treaded. Hoosier has tried to compensate by making it 1" wider than the F53. The F53 is not meant to be driven on rocks like we do in the pits at THR and SAS.

I know there is some talk of going to the Goodyear or American Racer. That's the reason I mentioned roll-out. We have raced on both and the both have less roll-out than the Hoosiers. We had to change gearing. Those with quickchanges will not be hurt too bad, but those with 9" will be in for some expense.

The goodyear is about the same as the 970 as far as longivity is concerned, but they do leak down like the AR's (maybe not quite as fast). The AR is just plain junk. That is the worst tire I've seen. It is built with the same casing the IMCA G60 uses which is a 4 ply sidewall and hard rubber (it will stand up with no air :( )

If you want the maximum performance and good air preasure tuning ability, stick with the F53. If you want longivity, but still have an air tunable tire go to the 970. Goodyears are OK but you'll have to spend some money getting your gearing right. Please stay away from the AR's!

Hray's earlier post does explain why we definitely had more flats with the F53's and when we ran them previously, the 970's did last longer and saved $$$. We do not have actual experience with the Goodyears, but tallking to others, they last longer and would prevent the 'Gotta have new tires' syndrome. The teams with more resources putting 4 stickers on every time the cars hit the track. We feel that if you save racers money and run a tire that last longer, it benifits everyone evenly.

Tommy,

The Goodyear and the 970 have the same longivity, but the Goodyear is smaller (quite a bit smaller). We were running a 620 gear at THR and HMP. We went to a 600 and that was still a little too high.

If you want to save the racers the most, go to the 970, that way everything stays the same. I also agree with SSCHUCK, put everyone on 970's so the lower classes can have the take-offs. If you're worried about the well funded teams buying stickers for each race, limit the tires to 2 new each race.

Of course, as we all know from experience, tire decisions aren't always made in the best interest of the racer. Sometimes $$$ get involved. Hopefully THR will not fall into that mode of operation.

tire decisions aren't always made in the best interest of the racer. Sometimes $$$ get involved

boy that aint no lie...........it was nice when the sportsman class could get takeoffs from the late models, but now the lm are on 10" tires you cant do that anymore..........and with the life of the ar, it really ends up hurting the underfunded teams........of coarse everyone knows that racing is expensive, blah, blah, blah, but when you can help the racers out a little by allowing them to purchase 1 and 2 race tires from the upper class for a little cheaper price, it can only help in the long run.......jmo

This topic of tires is of great interest to me. Last year, due to a cut tire, I hit the wall, bounced off and was hit by another car, resulting in a totaled racecar. That being said, I don’t think the tires are to blame completely.

I’ve raced on Hoosiers, Goodyear’s, and radials at the same track that this incident occurred and had problems with all three tires. All the tires had similar problems, may-be run the sweep truck a few times during the course of the night, more specially after a wreck.

As far as saving the racers money, I don’t see any savings. As pointed out, new gears for each of the tracks. I and a few others own Ford 9” rears, more costly to change than a Q/C.

Tires, we’ll need 8, 4 to practice on and 4 to race with any hopefully we wont get another flat. I’m happy with the F53’s, If there is a change I would hope that there is a transition phase to use up all our tires we already own.

Archived