Good article about Five Flags Speedway

txtom

This link is to an article that was written anonymously to the Panhandle racing racing site.

Five Flags

The author hit the nail on the head here. That area is thriving, with Pensacola, Mobile, and Opp all enjoying growing fields and the return of the fans.

Why is that? Just read the article. Every answer to every problem we have around is addressed in that article, or was demonstrated this weekend at the Derby.

Remember the timing equipment getting torn up by a racecar? All they needed to fix it was a simple call to Mobile for their stuff. Mobile staff went out of their way to help the Bryants fix the damage. I shudder to think how quick these tracks around here would loan each other stuff like that.

How about Pensacola giving time to Mobile to make some presentations to their racers in front of the Derby crowd?

WHAT?! Wait a minute, that sounds like tracks working together for the better of the sport, not some bodies hip pocket.

How about the Bryants allowing the Tech Officials to do their job, and then standing by them when THEY, the tech guys, made a hard decision to DQ the winner. That is a weird word around here, INTEGRITY...And you will not hear anyone at that track tell a racer they can go somewhere else. Instead, they listen to him and try to resolve the issue. The driver may not get his way, but he will at least appreciate that they gave him an ear.

No wonder the Derby is getting record car counts.

Notice how many articles talk about the HONESTY of the Bryant Family, and their love of the racing?

In talking to a couple Officials I know down there, the Bryant Family is negotiating to purchase the Speedway. Before anyone else goes sticking their nose in their business, the Bryants are the ONLY ones the owners are talking to.

And you can't find a racer down there that thinks the Bryants owning it is a bad thing.

Alright, I am done venting. We've read all the problems on this board for a couple years now, and the answers are a day drive away.

I may piss off some folks with this post, but I don't really care at this point. Things need to change, and soon. Only a few years ago, Pensacola was only open the Derby weekend, look at it now.

Anyone listening?

Jay,

That was earlier this year when Brooks DQ'd Mercer and Carlson at a Blizzard race.

Mercer went on to state that he would never race Pensacola again, and they could come get the 2005 Snowball winner's trophy; that it meant nothing to him. Of course, time seemed to change his mind.

Not long before or after the Blizzard DQ, Carlson was caught again with an illegal carb at on an ASA race.

They cuss Brooks, belittle him, say he is too strict.

What he is, is unbiased, fair, competent, and he is one of the key reasons they are so successful these days. We need to add Fritz Augustine here. I first met him in the All-Pro days, and he is a key asset to the Derby tech. They have the support of the Promoter, who accepts their decisions, and stand by them. They don't decide who will or won't be dq'd.

What does dq'ing Brazier mean to the Derby? It shows everyone there that fair is fair, and everyone has to play the same game.

Damn, what a concept.

Jay,

That was earlier this year when Brooks DQ'd Mercer and Carlson at a Blizzard race.

Mercer went on to state that he would never race Pensacola again, and they could come get the 2005 Snowball winner's trophy; that it meant nothing to him. Of course, time seemed to change his mind.

Not long before or after the Blizzard DQ, Carlson was caught again with an illegal carb at on an ASA race.

They cuss Brooks, belittle him, say he is too strict.

What he is, is unbiased, fair, competent, and he is one of the key reasons they are so successful these days. We need to add Fritz Augustine here. I first met him in the All-Pro days, and he is a key asset to the Derby tech. They have the support of the Promoter, who accepts their decisions, and stand by them. They don't decide who will or won't be dq'd.

What does dq'ing Brazier mean to the Derby? It shows everyone there that fair is fair, and everyone has to play the same game.

Damn, what a concept.

The head tech guy was strict and by the book but helpfull at the same time. :):)

a few years back i was wrenching on the car that ultimately won the $100,000.00 Snowball Derby. The supposed winner of the race was not scored correctly and actually finished right ahead of the leaders almost a lap down. Those officials sat and watched the whole race on film to count laps one at a time to make sure that the races finishing order was correct. That lasted till 3:30am. If we would of been found wrong, I still would have to say that those ARE the most dedicated officials I have ever had the pleasure to deal with.

Great Job Derby Crew!!!!

Tom,

The article (and you) are right on why 5 Flags is so successful. The rules are simple, enforced and the track is run with integrity. How simple is that.

We wanted to run our mod there this year, but The USRA rules (way more complicated and way more restrictive) and Snowball rules are different enough that we would have to make major changes. We called 5 Flags to see if they would let us run our car, maybe even with a weight penalty. They said no, not even with a weight penalty--the rules are the rules! I respect that. We then had to make the decision to change the car and go or stay home. Then other priorities came into play and we decided to stay home. But, I knew exactly what we had to do to play, and I knew we wouldn't get over there and find out we couldn't race because our interpretation of the rules didn't jive with the tech officials or owners. I also felt they were telling me exactly how it was and the story would not change when we got there.

Rusty,

I looked on the SB webpage at the mod rules and there were only 9 or 10 rules listed. Is that the total rules?

4 or 5 of them were about the dang body and NONE were about the engine. HA Are there more rules somewhere else?

If you don't mind me asking, (if what I saw was all the rules) what was the objection to your car?

Thanks

Jay

Jay,

That IS the total rules. Our body didn't comply. I considered reboding the car, but I hate to put a brand new body on for 1 race and maybe have to do it again for next year. Our body is completely legal for HMP and USRA and is in good enough condition to run next year.

The engine rule is appealing to the NE, Midwest, west coast and TAMS (with a 4 barrel) mods.

Rusty

rusty are they talking about your hood scoop?witch buy the way tams rules says no air deverters to the carb. any -way.i sean in another post you said 7'' of body slope the rules say 6'' over all and 3'' when it starts behind the drivers seat.and does the 500 carb.only mean all motors combos?it doesnt say.and is the 40 body legal?just need to know for next year.

Archived